A MEH for 2018

another idea is to get 2 12s and go with a WTW, bit expensive though

difficult to make my mind up on what to do atm

I can't get away from the fact that porting the woofer seems like a much better idea and I can't think of a downside to doing this. If I do this then I don't need to try and fit in a 15" woofer, I just need to find space for the port instead. It also means I don't necessarily have to import something from AE (not that that will save much money given how much BMS cost).

unfortunately pesky work is getting in the way of spending some serious time puzzling this one out!

Actually i don't think these 12" pro drivers do so well in a bigger cabinet, the td12x does seem to fit a 70L ported cab tuned in the low to mid 30s perfectly though. It also has the excursion required to really stretch its legs. This looks like the favourite for the HT use atm.

ordered the 12RS1066 and the fusion plate amps went up on the hypex shop today so have also placed an order for a FA253

Nice, looks very capable for a 12". How low are you hoping for it to go to. Lots cheaper than the TD12X!!!

How low are you hoping for it to go to.
a picture speaks a thousand words, this is with 200W (at 1m). 40Hz is the goal and this driver can do that with a small port in a small box. It's totally unsuited to a bigger box and a bigger port as the port output gets out of control

upload_2018-4-20_22-11-2.png

for comparison, here's the TD12X in that bigger box vs the above

upload_2018-4-20_22-15-2.png

It doesn't do so well in such a small box but, given the room, 10dB more output for not that much more money is *a lot* more output

Lots cheaper than the TD12X!!!
see above for why I still plan to get the td12x for the LCR :)

I get your point, 10db more output is obviously a big difference.

did a quick measure with DATS, seems fairly close to spec. Fs somewhat higher so probably needs a bit of break in before remeasuring.

took some more Z measurements to feed into hornresp's semi inductance model (Hornresp - Page 821 - diyAudio) via REW's calculation of those params

here is a comparison of one sim with semi-inductance vs the plain Le value effect

upload_2018-4-24_21-12-13.png

and then comparing the vanilla Le model vs the previous Lossy Le approximation

upload_2018-4-24_21-13-46.png

if this sim is accurate then relying on lossy le would have led me astray vs the (hopefully) markedly more accurate semi inductance method (which translates in this case to "has no impact")

Collected a big pile of wood yesterday

upload_2018-5-2_12-42-25.png

Hopefully weather is ok this weekend so I can crack on with putting it together.

I decided to go with birch plywood this time just to try a different material. S/BB grade which looks like pretty nice wood, the face shown is the darker BB face whereas the S face is markedly lighter. It is v handy having a place nearby that cuts it up for you into basically any list of pieces, such a time saver.

made good progress today

made a template for the seos15 albeit after a few false starts and a trip to wickes for more plywood..... and then got the various braces cutout and did all 3 baffle cutouts, currently laminating the inner baffles and I think I broke my record for clamps in use at once

upload_2018-5-5_19-11-3.png

I also discovered some newfound respect for my tracksaw

upload_2018-5-5_19-11-46.png

the wood went one way flying into the fence and everything else went the other way, no idea how this didn't take me out but thankfully nothing even touched me!!

cracked on with assembly

upload_2018-5-6_21-3-42.png

upload_2018-5-6_21-3-59.png

it is a remarkably compact speaker and the build instructions are really very good, top marks!

I'm looking forward to getting the woofer done as that baffle will be so much easier (just 2 circular cutouts and done). I think I've spent the best part of a day just on that 4 layer baffle sorted out o_O

Do I understand this correctly that you are looking to relocate your main speakers behind your screen? Do you have an AT screen?

yes and not atm, I am planning to rebuild the front wall next year.

Looking good :D

3 AE TD12X are on their way (are in Dartford apparently, the last few miles are always the longest though!)

3 TD12M will be up for sale soon btw if anyone wants them

amp is going a bit slower though, 1st delivery of the hypex fusion amps not expected now til mid june (and hopefully I'm in that 1st batch as I ordered pretty much as soon as they were available to order)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom