A medical proceedure

I’ve had the camera down the throat with local spray not sedation. Also had my colonoscopy for routine bowel screening. Neither were particularly pleasant but necessary. Depends how much you value your health.

I'm happy to report that I have had neither gastroscopy nor colonoscopy... although I've seen more of them than I care to remember. If I did require either, you can bet your life I'd be taking sedation and anaesthetic spray (for gastroscopy). My preference though would actually be general anaesthesia. Hard to talk anyone into offering that though... :blush:

The tricky thing about gastroscopy is when the operator asks the patient to swallow the tube. This is well nigh impossible when their mouth is propped open with a plastic mouth shield. I challenge anyone to try swallowing whilst keeping their mouth wide open - it's ain't easy!

I agree that the prep solution for bum scopes is a total nightmare and I've heard a lot of patients say that they felt as if the entire world had fallen out of their backside and that they daren't move further than 20 paces from the toilet for 24 hours.

I'm happy to report that I have had neither gastroscopy nor colonoscopy... although I've seen more of them than I care to remember. If I did require either, you can bet your life I'd be taking sedation and anaesthetic spray (for gastroscopy). My preference though would actually be general anaesthesia. Hard to talk anyone into offering that though... :blush:

The tricky thing about gastroscopy is when the operator asks the patient to swallow the tube. This is well nigh impossible when their mouth is propped open with a plastic mouth shield. I challenge anyone to try swallowing whilst keeping their mouth wide open - it's ain't easy!

I agree that the prep solution for bum scopes is a total nightmare and I've heard a lot of patients say that they felt as if the entire world had fallen out of their backside and that they daren't move further than 20 paces from the toilet for 24 hours.
They were probably men 🙂. Certainly far easier than childbirth and the after effects thereof.

I had an endoscopy with just the throat spray.

If I had another, I'd go with the anaesthetic. I found it extremely uncomfortable and the doctor not very understanding of how much distress I felt I was in with gagging/choking sensations etc.

I had the camera down my throat a few years ago to help diagnose stomach issues. On the day, I opted for the throat spray, not the sedation. I found the process unpleasant, but not unbearable. The actual camera down the throat bit was all over in under a minute. I had to lay on my side on the bed/table, while a couple of nurses 'reassuringly' held me in position, while a third put the camera down my throat. I didn't find 'swallowing' the camera particularly difficult. Once it was all over, I asked to see the camera footage - which they were happy to show me. Was interesting.

Like others have said, if you value your health, you'll get it done.

I've had multiple endoscopies due to a swallowing problem.

The first one they convinced me into having it without anything. Never again.

Since then I've always had the sedation which has helped but only when the camera is being inserted, I soon come round while the procedure is still in progress and it's never been pleasant.

I've had a biopsy from my stomach and also a botox injection into my stomach lining, which didn't work and made for a few very uncomfortable few months until it wore off.

I would like to go for full sedation but it's never been offered, I'll see the next time I have to have one.

Thanks for the responses but after a doctor's appointment (turned out I had gastro something isis)). The build up might not sound bad but when you've had the pains to anything, you'd confess to anything just for the pain to go away (it was that bad and felt like I was having a heart attack).
What I didn't expect was to be told I was suffering from severe dehydration after all the drink I had to go with the painkillers and it took two das to get my heart rate down to normal and had a saline solution and a coolant pumpmed into me)..
I've had no pain since and I don' need the camera down my throat.
I had a coid test when I wasfinally admitted to hosptial (that wasn't what I went for and had nothing to do with it) but I was Covid negative.

Having an endoscopy on Friday. I have a condition called Barratt's Oesophagus and have to have one every 3 years. Although the procedure takes only a few minutes and I have sedation I still hate it and will be worried and anxious all week....

I had an endoscope down the throat and when I got there the nurse told me to ask to be sedated as the doctor would push for me having a throat spray instead. He did indeed push the throat spray but I insisted on sedation. I lay on the bed and they gave the sedation and then I was in a different bed. They'd done the procedure and I didn't remember any of it despite my notes saying I was awake and aware all through.
The sedation used has a retro-amnesic effect, so that even though it renders you ‘co-operative’ (for want of a better word) for the procedure, you just don’t remember it afterwards.

The sedation used has a retro-amnesic effect, so that even though it renders you ‘co-operative’ (for want of a better word) for the procedure, you just don’t remember it afterwards.

The retro amnesiac effect is interesting. I had an endoscopy back in 2004 IIRC. The consultant was going on about how great sedation was these days. It was administered via an IV line into a cannula. No idea what it was. I remember the endoscope going up my nose, which was horrific, then going down my throat. Then I remember the consultant says it's over, and people often tell him they don't believe they really did the procedure, and insist that they get wheeled back in and that it gets done properly. Well I had no idea how much time elapsed, and to this day I still wonder if they did a full examination. This may explain it.

I've had a couple of colonoscopy procedures, one recently. No loss of time and remember everything. Both on IV lines. Was offered gas, but declined it. I'm told they use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) which seemed odd. Maybe worth a laugh?!

I've had quite a few over the years, I certainly remember them and absolutely hate having them.

I always seem to come around while the scope is still inside me and it's damn uncomfortable.

I now try to avoid like the plague but due to my condition I'm sure I'll be having more in the future.

Many years ago I had to have one up my backside. No sedation and it was extremely unpleasant. A young lady before me passed out during the procedure and they wheeled her with her rear fully exposed. So much for her dignity. They said they able to get it it much further into me than was usually the case and it was very painful. There came a point when they took a tissue sample. They said it wouldn't hurt. That was a whooping great lie. If I'd been lying on my back they'd have had to pull me off the ceiling. It was quite a while before I could leave afterwards. I was in quite a bit of pain and constantly felt the need to go to the toilet.

I've also had one up my nose. That was unpleasant but nowhere as bad.

Bri

Have had sigmoidoscopy twice resulting in a sigmoidectomy... both investigative procedures were very unpleasant but necessary.

Have had flexible cystoscopy down the pork sword and up into the bladder to remove a stent which was put in place after a rather large, 14mm, kidney stone was laser blasted. No sedation and but they did anesthetise the opening beforehand which they said would really help. They lied and I'm not ashamed to say I screamed the place down.

I look back on them and laugh, God bless the NHS.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom