A medical proceedure

Judge Mental

I’ve had the camera down the throat with local spray not sedation. Also had my colonoscopy for routine bowel screening. Neither were particularly pleasant but necessary. Depends how much you value your health.

Reese Withouterspoon

Distinguished Member
I'm happy to report that I have had neither gastroscopy nor colonoscopy... although I've seen more of them than I care to remember. If I did require either, you can bet your life I'd be taking sedation and anaesthetic spray (for gastroscopy). My preference though would actually be general anaesthesia. Hard to talk anyone into offering that though... :blush:

The tricky thing about gastroscopy is when the operator asks the patient to swallow the tube. This is well nigh impossible when their mouth is propped open with a plastic mouth shield. I challenge anyone to try swallowing whilst keeping their mouth wide open - it's ain't easy!

I agree that the prep solution for bum scopes is a total nightmare and I've heard a lot of patients say that they felt as if the entire world had fallen out of their backside and that they daren't move further than 20 paces from the toilet for 24 hours.

Judge Mental

I'm happy to report that I have had neither gastroscopy nor colonoscopy... although I've seen more of them than I care to remember. If I did require either, you can bet your life I'd be taking sedation and anaesthetic spray (for gastroscopy). My preference though would actually be general anaesthesia. Hard to talk anyone into offering that though... :blush:

The tricky thing about gastroscopy is when the operator asks the patient to swallow the tube. This is well nigh impossible when their mouth is propped open with a plastic mouth shield. I challenge anyone to try swallowing whilst keeping their mouth wide open - it's ain't easy!

I agree that the prep solution for bum scopes is a total nightmare and I've heard a lot of patients say that they felt as if the entire world had fallen out of their backside and that they daren't move further than 20 paces from the toilet for 24 hours.
They were probably men 🙂. Certainly far easier than childbirth and the after effects thereof.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I had an endoscopy with just the throat spray.

If I had another, I'd go with the anaesthetic. I found it extremely uncomfortable and the doctor not very understanding of how much distress I felt I was in with gagging/choking sensations etc.

gavinl1967

I had the camera down my throat a few years ago to help diagnose stomach issues. On the day, I opted for the throat spray, not the sedation. I found the process unpleasant, but not unbearable. The actual camera down the throat bit was all over in under a minute. I had to lay on my side on the bed/table, while a couple of nurses 'reassuringly' held me in position, while a third put the camera down my throat. I didn't find 'swallowing' the camera particularly difficult. Once it was all over, I asked to see the camera footage - which they were happy to show me. Was interesting.

Like others have said, if you value your health, you'll get it done.

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
I've had multiple endoscopies due to a swallowing problem.

The first one they convinced me into having it without anything. Never again.

Since then I've always had the sedation which has helped but only when the camera is being inserted, I soon come round while the procedure is still in progress and it's never been pleasant.

I've had a biopsy from my stomach and also a botox injection into my stomach lining, which didn't work and made for a few very uncomfortable few months until it wore off.

I would like to go for full sedation but it's never been offered, I'll see the next time I have to have one.

Kronenguy1664

Thanks for the responses but after a doctor's appointment (turned out I had gastro something isis)). The build up might not sound bad but when you've had the pains to anything, you'd confess to anything just for the pain to go away (it was that bad and felt like I was having a heart attack).
What I didn't expect was to be told I was suffering from severe dehydration after all the drink I had to go with the painkillers and it took two das to get my heart rate down to normal and had a saline solution and a coolant pumpmed into me)..
I've had no pain since and I don' need the camera down my throat.
I had a coid test when I wasfinally admitted to hosptial (that wasn't what I went for and had nothing to do with it) but I was Covid negative.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom