A Matter of Life and Death (Blu-ray Steelbook)

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Purchase link: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - Zavvi

Release date: 08/10/2018

Zero finish
amolad-jpg.1042756

A Matter of Life and Death was restored in 4K by Sony Pictures Entertainment. Inspection, repair and 4K scanning of the 35mm Nitrate 3-Strip Technicolor Picture Negative by Cineric, Inc., New York. Soundtrack restored from the 35mm Nitrate Variable Density Optical Soundtrack Negative at Deluxe Audio, Hollywood. Digital image restoration by L’Immagine Ritrovato, Bologna, Italy and MTI Film, Hollywood. Digital conforming, color grading, additional image restoration, DCP and UHD at Deluxe Culver City with colorist Sheri Eisenberg.

Attachments

• AMoLaD.jpg
    AMoLaD.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,140
  • AMoLaD (full artwork).png
    AMoLaD (full artwork).png
    291.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
So no uk criterion collection release of this one now?

Shocking price and for that we get an inferior itv print. It absolutely won't be the American criterion (usually superior) print yes they made a mess of midnight cowboy but that is the only time I've seen criterion mess things up
I won't pay £25 for this. Another bluray rip off

OP updated with new release date and full artwork pic.

Is this the recent restoration of the film?

Is this the recent restoration of the film?
Yes it will be according to the updated listings :)
A Matter of Life and Death was restored in 4K by Sony Pictures Entertainment. Inspection, repair and 4K scanning of the 35mm Nitrate 3-Strip Technicolor Picture Negative by Cineric, Inc., New York. Soundtrack restored from the 35mm Nitrate Variable Density Optical Soundtrack Negative at Deluxe Audio, Hollywood. Digital image restoration by L’Immagine Ritrovato, Bologna, Italy and MTI Film, Hollywood. Digital conforming, color grading, additional image restoration, DCP and UHD at Deluxe Culver City with colorist Sheri Eisenberg.

Thanks for the info. I can relax now!

I've recently watched this. The transfer is superb.

The picture is outstanding on this and the sound is very good too.

I didn't notice any problem at all. Both sound and image are excellent. And what a film!

I’ve just taken a look at that thread. It seems to me that their screens need calibrating. It always amazes me that people spend a fortune on a TV and don’t go the extra mile and get it professionally calibrated. If image matters that much and you’ve gone out and bought the latest OLED, LED/LCD or QLED, then get the best out of it. You can’t do that by swapping settings with other people. As I say, I didn’t have any problem with the blu-ray. It just looked great.

Shocking price and for that we get an inferior itv print. It absolutely won't be the American criterion (usually superior) print yes they made a mess of midnight cowboy but that is the only time I've seen criterion mess things up
I won't pay £25 for this. Another bluray rip off

It uses the same master as the Criterion edition. Picture quality on both is superb. Stunning in fact.

All of the ITV Blu Rays of the Powell/Pressburger films ('Red Shoes', 'Black Narcissus', Life and Death of Colonel Blimp') have been of absolutely outstanding quality, with the restorations supervised by Martin Scorsese and Thelma Schoonmaker.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to actually view them before tossing about terms like "...inferior itv print..."

Last edited:
I watched this last night excellent picture beautiful film, bit lacking in extras which is a shame but other than that its perfect, the steel better in hand than in pictures.

I’ve just taken a look at that thread. It seems to me that their screens need calibrating. It always amazes me that people spend a fortune on a TV and don’t go the extra mile and get it professionally calibrated. If image matters that much and you’ve gone out and bought the latest OLED, LED/LCD or QLED, then get the best out of it. You can’t do that by swapping settings with other people. As I say, I didn’t have any problem with the blu-ray. It just looked great.

I've not seen either Blu-ray, but I'll just pull you up on one point.

Geoff D who posted about the faults first, absolutely does have a very well-calibrated set, and I believe works in the industry. He has a very keen eye for issues with picture quality.

I've not seen either Blu-ray, but I'll just pull you up on one point.

Geoff D who posted about the faults first, absolutely does have a very well-calibrated set, and I believe works in the industry. He has a very keen eye for issues with picture quality.

It was because of Geoff D that I purchased the criterion a matter of life and death, more than happy, hopefully a 4k uhd will be along soon:thumbsup:

Well i am confused is this ITV disk not the same transfer as the criterion? as posted by Mr Lime ....

It is the same transfer. The only difference is that the Criterion has more extras.
Criterion as ever always excellent with their extras, thank you for clearing that one up.

In some scenes I have lip sync issues, but some scenes are fine. Has anyone seen this, is it a known issue with the film? Can be clearly seen in the opening scene with Niven talking in the plane.

In some scenes I have lip sync issues, but some scenes are fine. Has anyone seen this, is it a known issue with the film? Can be clearly seen in the opening scene with Niven talking in the plane.

No, mine is absolutely fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom