A lot of problems with Sky+

Sammity

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For about three months now my Pace Sky + box has been giving me a few problems.

Firstly I keep getting failed recordings sometimes up to four failed recordings in one day.

It's also started to think for it self, recording programmes that I don't set it to record. It doesn't just record them it sets them to series link and puts a keep by them sometimes.

It also deletes programmes without my say, even if they have a keep by them.

It records programs and then won't let me play them, the box just freezes then and has to turned off.

After i've been watching a channel for a while and then change the channel I get a message saying something like trying to save two programmes at once and then the box pause's for this. Even though nothing was recording.

I very rarely get the Classic FM.

I get the No Signal is being received message quite a bit.

Also I very rarely get to watch a whole programme without the picture going pixel, blocky, distorted and skipping.

Yesterday the Sky + box just switched it's self off.

I've checked the signal and it's always at 50% or 75%.

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Or doing a system restore or something like that. I can't really afford a new box at the moment but I can't put up with this much longer!

Sounds like you've got an unwanted poltergeist - I'm not sure if sky engineers are qualified for excorcism!

Try forcing a software update... hold down the backup button on the front while you plug in the box - should take about 5 mins.

Hi,

Will doing that delete all the programmes stored on the box?

I've done a software update and didn't lose any of my stored programmes.

So far no problems, the picture went a bit blocky once but that was it.

It sure doesn't sounds like you have 50% - 75% signal strength. I think someone was saying the other day that this indicator is far from accurate which is quite believable. Besides if the problems you are seeing are spurious then the 50% - 75% numbers might be a maximum reading rather than a minimum one.

With pixelation, skipping, lost channels and "No Signal" messages you are certainly giving strong evidence that you have either a wiring problem or a dish misalignment that may or may not be causing problems when recording.

Although I don;t yet have Sky+ (next tuesday :thumbsup: ) I can well imagine that if you are recording a programme during which time the signal is too low or drops out completely, even for a split second, the Sky+ box may react in some unexpected way. From its point of view why should it continue to record while the input signal has dropped out or reached an unacceptable level.

You might have two problems rather than just one, but I would suggest having a close look at all your connections into the Sky+ box before going any further. Check that the coax cabling has a good connection to the box and that the end connector itself is well wired to the cable.

Good luck.

ruttiger said:
It sure doesn't sounds like you have 50% - 75% signal strength. I think someone was saying the other day that this indicator is far from accurate which is quite believable. Besides if the problems you are seeing are spurious then the 50% - 75% numbers might be a maximum reading rather than a minimum one.

With pixelation, skipping, lost channels and "No Signal" messages you are certainly giving strong evidence that you have either a wiring problem or a dish misalignment that may or may not be causing problems when recording.

Although I don;t yet have Sky+ (next tuesday :thumbsup: ) I can well imagine that if you are recording a programme during which time the signal is too low or drops out completely, even for a split second, the Sky+ box may react in some unexpected way. From its point of view why should it continue to record while the input signal has dropped out or reached an unacceptable level.

You might have two problems rather than just one, but I would suggest having a close look at all your connections into the Sky+ box before going any further. Check that the coax cabling has a good connection to the box and that the end connector itself is well wired to the cable.

Good luck.

Hello ruttiger,

I think your right about the dish.

Every time it rain's we either lose all signal or the picture becomes really distorted.

I'll check all the cabling!

Thanks

just had the same problem! Had sky round this morning and it was the LNB that was knackered. They said they are replacing loads at tho mo with the hot weather breaking them.

New LNB voila!

Hi,

What is an LNB?

I've checked the signal again and it's not 75%. My signal stays at 50% and sometimes hits 60%.

I've had no failed recording's since the update and no saving message's have appeared. The picture does sometimes go a little bit blocky and freeze for a second or two.

Since the update the picture quality definition has improved as well.

Glad the software update helped... sky plus should tell you if a recording has failed because of loss of signal when you try and play it, so keep an eye out for that if you get more fails.

Its the little block that sits in front of the dish. I have had no blockiness all day now.

Reznor said:
What is an LNB?

It stands for "Low Noise Block", and it is effectively part of the satellite receiver's tuner.

LNB's have to withstand all the extremes of our weather, so it's not surprising that they fail occasionally. Often, sloppy installation can let water into the cable at the LNB end, causing other problems.

I had a similiar problem with recordings not working and the box eventually shtdown altogether. This happened with 2 different sky+ 40 boxes. I complained to sky who wanted to charge me 60 quid to send an engineer despite the boxes not lasting longer than a year . i threatened to cancel and they sent the eng out for free with my subscribtion halved for two months. When the new box was fitted it started playing up again after a few days. This got me thinking that it wasn't a box problem at all despite sky assuring me it was. I eventually traced it to my viewing card overheating and i have been turning off my box every night to save the card and have not had a problem since. I did look into getting a new card but this could cost you an extra £10 and they turn your card off on the spot leaving you with no sky for about 5 days. I complained and could get the card for free but i am waiting for when i go on holiday to do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom