Question A long shot? BDP LX91 firmware update...

Mr. Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to all.

A long time since I needed to ask a question on here but any help as ever gratefully received. My Trusty Pioneer BDP LX91 is still spinning the odd disc when I get chance to play one but unsurprisingly I've had the odd occasion when it just sat there for ages trying to load and simply wouldn't play. I checked in the menu last night and discovered I'm still running V 2.58 which was on it when I bought it new from Tony at TLC back in 2009. I gather Pioneer got as far as V 2.74 (?) Is there any way I can access this info or does anyone have it burned on to a disc that I could borrow please? Hoping for a positive reply but prepared for the worst. Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Mr. Mer

I cannot help with the software - but I really do not think an update would have any effect whatsoever on the problem.

On occasion where there is a failure to load it will be a failure in the disc / laser interface.

This can happen for a number of reasons. The most common are:

1. Dirty disc
  2. Dirty laser lens
  3. Weakening aging laser.
  4. Poor or inadequately burned disc ( if self-burnt) - most usually due to poor quality disc blanks, which includes most of the marketplace.

Try carefully cleaning problem discs.

I cannot help with the software - but I really do not think an update would have any effect whatsoever on the problem.

On occasion where there is a failure to load it will be a failure in the disc / laser interface.

This can happen for a number of reasons. The most common are:

1. Dirty disc
  2. Dirty laser lens
  3. Weakening aging laser.
  4. Poor or inadequately burned disc ( if self-burnt) - most usually due to poor quality disc blanks, which includes most of the marketplace.

Try carefully cleaning problem discs.
Generally agree, but there are some discs which do need firmware upgrades to play in all makes of players. Running a 2009 firmware can be problematical with some discs released after this date. The 'may require firmware update' warning seen on many discs isn't there for no reason...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies doug56hl and Gavtech.

I'm pretty sure that the firmware update is my first port of call. The unit is indeed 'old' but it's had very little use and is immaculate and when I say that I mean it. It's always been kept on a rack in a very clean environment as free from dust as possible and is wiped down regularly. The discs I've had problems with have ranged from a brand new blu-ray straight out of the case with no dirt on it whatsoever that just couldn't get started and the box set of Breaking bad which played first three seasons a few months ago with no problem at all but simply couldn't do anything with season four.

I'm still hopeful one of the 'old guard' on here or someone at Pioneer may be able to help with a firmware update. The player could quite possibly have played less that 100 discs since I purchased it new in 2009 so hopeful the laser is still in tip top condition...

Cheers

Mr. Mer

You can download the firmware from the internet - just search for it. I found 2.74 but that is from 2013 so I don’t know if that will help with your problem.

What you can find with older players is that the laser carriage guides and rails get gummed up, causing the laser to have problems with tracking. The rubber drive belts can also perish/stretch, causing loading problems (the drawer closes, but there is not enough oomph to fully engage the disc drive mechanism)

Thank you John7.

I did have a look but struggled to find anything via Pioneer who when I messaged them said my player "was old and there were no firmware updates available". Very helpful... I don't think. I'm not 100% sure how to go about trying to progress this matter further. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to advise me if you can spare the time. Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Mr. Mer

Thank you very much John7 I'll try this out and see how I get on...

Hi John7

I'm sorry to ask but am a bit of a Luddite so please bear with me! I finally got hold of a box fresh CD-RW and tried to burn the files onto the disc. I finally managed it but on the instruction sheet I downloaded it says I should have three files

DLdiscidentifier.txt 1 KB
DLdiscidentifier.txt 94 bytes
.DLdiscidentifier.txt 94 bytes

The CD-RW disc I've burned shows in the following order:

.DLdiscidentifier.txt 1 KB
DLdiscidentifier.txt 1 KB
DLdiscidentifier.txt 100,161 KB

Is that correct or is the data on my freshly (re)burned CD-RW corrupted or incomplete?

I must confess I burned the brand new CD-RW once but something went wrong so I erased it and went through the process a second time with better results...

I'm sorry to ask what may seem like such stupid questions but the last thing I want to do is "brick my player" if that indeed is the right terminology.

I appreciate any light you can shed on this

Cheers

Mr. Mer

Something not right there.....

The 100kb file should be called DLFile.pkg, unless you have mistakenly named it incorrectly in your post above?

This is the extract from the instruction procedure pdf....

PROCEDURE:

1. Place a CD-R or CD-RW disc in the drive.

2. Double click the ZIP file named "BDP25A_V274.zip" to open it.

3. Double click the zipped ISO file named "BDP25A_V274.iso".

The CD creation writing software on your computer should automatically open. After the software opens, it should already be set to burn an image file. If not, please make this the setting in your software. If your software does not open automatically, then please go to step 4, otherwise skip to step 5.

4. If your software does not open automatically, then extract and save the zipped file named "BDP25A_V274.iso" to a folder on your computer. Open your creation writing software, and set it to burn an image file.

5. Make sure the ISO file "BDP25A_V274.iso" is selected as the source file then copy/burn the file to the disc.

D. After the disc is completed, confirm the following 3 files are on the disc:

NOTE:

- If the correct files are not copied to the disc, your player will not recognize it as an update disc and

you will not be able to carry out the update.

DLfile.pkg 97.8Mbyte (102,563,920 bytes)

DLdiscidentifier.txt 94 bytes

.DLdiscidentifier.txt 94 bytes

- Confirm the file named “DLfile.pkg” is the correct size. You can check the file size by selecting the file then press the right mouse button and choosing "Properties". If the file name and size do not match the ones listed above, then perform steps B and C again using a new blank disc.

Thanks John7.

I am using Windows 10 and was not sure how to get the files to burn onto the CD-RW disc. I don't have any specific software to the best of my knowledge apart from Windows Media Player so I 'prodded about a bit' as the burner software did not launch automatically...

I popped the disc in the PC drive just now and clicked on the icon

DVD RW Drive (D) BDP LX91

It shows the following info:

Files Currently on the Disc (4) Date modified Type Size

DVD Drive (F) bpo8f_v27_sealed_130712 05-Feb-19-10:19AM File folder
.DLdiscidentifier.txt 16-Jul-13-10:44AM Text Document 1KB
DLdiscidentifier.txt 16-Jul-13-9:32AM Text Document 1KB
DLfile.pkg
16-Jul-13 10:42AM PKG File 100,161 KB

What do you make of this?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but I'm more of a 'spanners' and 'Allen keys' kinda guy LOL!

Appreciate any further input

Cheers

Mr. Mer

Last edited:
This is what I get when I right right click on DLfile.pkg and select properties John7...

upload_2019-2-6_12-10-3.png

It's the DVD Drive (F) bpo8f_v27_sealed_130712 05-Feb-19-10:19AM File folder that's throwing me...

Well, the file structure now looks correct (apart from that strange file folder). Maybe you could delete that so just the 3 x files required are present.

I would think that if you follow the update procedure and the player recognises the files as valid, you should be good to go! Fingers crossed!

Thanks John7 I'll try to delete that 4th file or make a fresh disc and let you know how I get on!

Success! :clap:

Firmware update went smoothly and I've just tested Breaking Bad on blu-ray seasons 4, 5 and The Final Season and all now load and play with no apparent issues. Happy days...

Thank you for your help and support with this John7. Much appreciated.

No need to nip out and buy that "new BD player" just yet then ;)

Cheers

Mr. Mer

Success! :clap:

Firmware update went smoothly and I've just tested Breaking Bad on blu-ray seasons 4, 5 and The Final Season and all now load and play with no apparent issues. Happy days...

Thank you for your help and support with this John7. Much appreciated.

No need to nip out and buy that "new BD player" just yet then ;)

Cheers

Mr. Mer

Sorry I'm not 100% sure where it is Jimmi2173 but it's a pretty straightforward job if you follow this thread. Hey. I even I managed to do it :laugh:You only need a disc and to use John7's link...

As a footnote, I have just managed to update my Pioneer BDP-LX71 from version 1.25a to the most current version 1.74 using the above procedure but different files from the same software Drivers site..... Many thanks John7 and Mr. Mer

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom