A long presentation (17:54) of the Xbox 360's dashboard and Live Arcade.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Overlord69, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
  2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,228
    None of them seem to work. i get an error saying the name may of changed or may of been removed. plus i use firefox, but it shouldn't matter

can you post the URL's

EDIT: http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_1797_en.html

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,228
    That dashboard presentation is awesome. Dec 2nd is TO FAR AWAY

4. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'm getting more impatient by the day. :blush:

5. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Loved the look and the functionality of the dashboard, but there's a whole undercurrent about that presentation - and indeed the Live! Marketplace element - that I don't like.

Specifically, I don't like the suggestion that almost everything has got to be paid for. If my understanding and guesswork is correct, then if you want a theme, you pay for it; if you want a gamer icon, you pay for it...etc etc. I'm not opposed to paying for things per se, but I'm curious as to whether or not I can design and upload my own themes, or player icons. If not, why not? After all, Microsoft wouldn't dream of charging you for a WMP skin on your PC, because you've got so many free alternatives elsewhere.

If Microsoft have baldly stated that this is not the case somewhere, and I'm not aware of it, then fine - I'll happily stand corrected. However, my current knowledge on the subject is that such icons, themes and "extras" are purchasable with the use of Marketplace points, which are in turn bought with real cash. I can't help but feel that making people pay for such items, even indirectly, is verging on naked and rather ugly greed.

I hope to God that they're not stupid enough to charge people for themes and icons simply because there's no way to upload them to the 360 from anywhere else. The tiny amount of money they would make from such an enterprise must surely be outweighed by the negative impact it would have on customer relations. I'll pay for a lot of things, but a 64x64 icon of a helmet? No thanks. I'd rather make my own.

6. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83

the bit about an image of a helmet....:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

7. Corpsical

Corpsical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Croker I didnt quite get that same impression, whilst some things will be paid for, I thought that the game themselves would allow you access to downloadable content that could be used to customize your gamecard. A bad example is the CE of Perfect Dark that apparantly comes with a theme for the 360 (a bad example because you have to pay more for the CE, but we have no detail on other games).

I thought the 'paying for' bits were the arcade games, but maybe I just misunderstood, the demo was quite impressive all the same.

8. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I can't remember where I read it or heard it, but the "Hard Drive" comes with numerous "Themes" & "Player Icons". Further ones will be available as and when they come available from the game developers and designers etc. There will be freebies as well as ones to purchase at the "Live Marketplace". It's another way for the game developers and designers etc to advertise their current and soon to be released games. I can also remember Xbox's J. Allard saying at launch you won't be able to design you own themes and player icons, but the functionality will be added latter. :cool:

I hope this helps clarify some of the points made in this thread so far. ;)

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    I assumed it would be pretty much the same as now - some for free, some paid for. In fact MS have said that this will be the case, where you get access to a load of free market place stuff if you own the game (ie. you buy PGR3, you can use the theme/gamertile etc). And as always, if it's too much for you, don't buy it!

10. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Exactly Lorenzini, after all it doesn't add any functionality, it simply personalises the Xbox 360 experience eh? :)

11. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What about content on the game disk itself ?? I assume it will be possible to add extras onto a game so you could customize your themes for those who dont have broadband.

I am concerned that most things will need to be paid for but dont forget that theres so much free stuff on live at the moment, I know that some add ons for Halo 2 and PGR2 came at a price but look at all the other stuff thats free. Hopefully the same thing will happen when we all go 360 :thumbsup:

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    There won't be any additional content on the game discs themselves, as far as I can make out. I've heard it said more than once that you can access any games extra content whether the game disc is in the drive or not, so that implies you'd have to go online to get it, surely?

13. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I dont like the idea of having to pay for downloadable content at all, why dont MS introduce some sort of advertising system like google?
    Dont get me wrong Im not a big fan of adverts popping up all over the place but the google system works well and is un-obtrusive.

Its bad enough having to pay 40-50 quid for a game, 40 quid for a live subscription on top of your 25 quid-ish a month broadband connection, without shelling out the odd £5 here and there for additional maps, gamertag icons and the like.

14. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I'm not surprised MS are introducing the Marketplace system for themes and so on - you only have to look at the global market for ringtones, themes and so on for mobile phones to realise that it's worth a packet. Once kids get their hands on 360s then they'll all want to have their favourite characters in the background that their friends have (or have not yet) got on theirs. I should add that while I'm not surprised by the idea, it doesn't mean I particularly like it!

Has there been any notion of people developing their own themes? I'd imagine sooner or later somebody will release freeware tools that can be used to create themes imported via USB or such like but I wonder if MS will officially support theme creation - they've never been huge fans of making it easy to create Windows themes...

Cheers,

Colin

15. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The only point I have to disagree with here Sting King is paying for additional maps in certain contexts. The likes of the Halo 2 maps were ultimately made available for free and only those who wanted to play them immediately incurred a price premium.

Where I think the payment is entirely justified though is in the likes of PGR2's DLC packs which were so massive and would no doubt have incurred licensing costs for new cars as well as the sheer development cost of designing the tracks, acquiring all of the texture map photos, the satellite data, modelling the cars etc that I think for the £2.95 it cost was a bargain. If PGR3 content packs stay as cheap as that considering the effort that will be required in next gen development, I'll be over the moon!

That being said, I don't appreciate the idea of premium content download being used to charge for items that should have made it into the game in the first place but were removed either to ship on time or to blatantly extract more cash from the product.

If full price games move towards more episodic content and deliver elements incrementally over a period of months, they'll have to get the pricing model soooooo right so as to avoid making people feel like they're being ripped off.

Cheers,

Colin

16. Sting King

Sting King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Colgate,

I should have elaborated on that point, I do agree with you regarding the additional maps, obviously additional maps can give your much played games such as Halo 2 and PGR 2 a longetivity boost, I think that paying £2.95 for the content at an earlier stage (Like Halo 2 maps) would be fine, the tight wads like me just wait for them to become free!
    If the content was not to become free at some point then you could find yourself struggling to get competition on 'Live' (if you dont have the halo 2 maps for example).
    If this happens to me then I'll shell out the few quid neccessary to get this content to enhance my online experience because I'm an adult and can afford it, its the younger gamers, that get games, live subcriptions etc. for b'days and xmas that may suffer. :mad:

17. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Very true Sting King, but it those younger gamers that keep Jamster utterly rolling in cash :) Having thought about it a bit more, it's perhaps not a real problem for younger gamers as I wonder whether they will really buy into the Marketplace much? If Microsoft are adding a "top up" card style scheme for the Live subscription so you don't have to use a credit card anymore and can buy more time on Live in the likes of Game, HMV and Woolworths etc perhaps they'll introduce a similar thing for Marketplace points then it's up to the younger gamers, top up the mobile or top up the Xbox and I'm sure they'll for the mobile :) Nope, I think Microsoft's real plan here is to fleece us bread winners :D