A llittle help for a PJ virgin?

S

Symey

Guest
Hi guys

Hope you are well - woke up this morning and decided i might lilke a projector!

Currently have hitachi 42pd5300 (the one with the seperate media box with all the connections) and a denon 500sd home theater jobby

im thinking id lilke to place a projector on the wall facing the plasma and have a screen drop down in front of the tv - off the top of my head its about 5 - 6 metres away.

I wont be using the projector a massive amount of the time but it would be nice to watch a few movies and also hook up a games console (i have GC/PS2)xbox knocking about the house)

What would you recommened ini terms of a PJ and screen if i was looking to spend about £1000 all in?

Also based on what equipment i already have how would i go about successfully hooking it all up? Im a tad lost on the connectivity side of it what with all the different components id like to get an image/sound from!!

Can i do it with the kit i have or so i need an amp or some other bit of kit?

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sy
 

dekoded

Active Member
I have just recently got myself a sanyo plv-z2, £850 12 months 0% from pixmania and I'm very pleased with it :clap:

I also have a 180cm 16x9 pull down screen which cost £90, which although a bit cheap still makes a big difference.

If you then add cables etc you have reached £1k :D
 

KraGorn

Active Member
5m-6m is quite a long distance from projector to screen, commonly used machines will create a huge image at that distance.
 
S

Symey

Guest
i cant tell if you mean thats a good or bad thing! more details mate?
 

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
Symey, I would not recommend a Sanyo Z2 as quoted above. This model is now discontinued (replaced by the Sanyo z3), but there are 3 projectors you could consider. The Sanyo Z3, the Hitachi TX100 or Panasonic AE700. Searching around should find prices within or near your budget, and all are current products which are better than the old Z2.

I don't mean any offence to Johnnie or his equipment, but when a model has already been replaced, and the newer better projectors are in the same ballpark, you have to consider where its wise to invest your cash.
 

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
Whoops, just read about the 5-6m range. You need to look for a 'long throw' projector. Many of the new crop of projectors are short throw, in other words, the produce a large image at short distances. If you move a short throw projector further back, the image becomes huge.

A long throw projector produces a small picture when its mounted close to a screen, so when you move it back, it produces a sensible sized image from a long distance.

To experiment with various projectors, there is a projector calculator at www.projectorcentral.com (look in the menu on the right hand side), you can select the PJ you like, set how far it will be from the screen, and the calculator tells you how big your screen image will be.
 

KraGorn

Active Member
Symey said:
i cant tell if you mean thats a good or bad thing! more details mate?
UrbanT gave a good reply, long throw is good because it means you can locate the projector behind you (as long as it has a feature called Lens Shift so you don't need to locate it precisely in a vertical direction), however the 'downside' is that finding one can be a little tricky and you may even have to invest in a replacement lens .. not cheap.
 
S

Symey

Guest
thanks for all the info chaps - so at that sort of distance is there an projector out there that immediately springs to mind and evverybody always recommends? i need a starting point and im really struggling to decide...

worried i will get something home, project and will have too bigger/too smaller image!!

the calculator is very useful though

anybody projecting at this distance ? what do you have?

cheers

sy
 
H

hansrob9

Guest
I am not projecting at that sort of distance (I have around 4.5 m) but precisely because of the unknown of how big I wanted the picture to be I went for the panasonic ae700. It has a x2 zoom which allows great flexibility in picture size.
It also performs really well, you'll find plenty of advice about it in this forum, although some people have been having different experience (it seems to be the case with most pj models in fairness).
So to related back to my experience, I first bought the pj and used a white sheet on the wall to check various size before buying a screen for what I think is a confortable viewing size. Remember that not everybody is the same. In a cinema theater some people prefer sitting very close to the screen while others prefer sitting back.
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Symey said:
thanks for all the info chaps - so at that sort of distance is there an projector out there that immediately springs to mind and evverybody always recommends? i need a starting point and im really struggling to decide...

worried i will get something home, project and will have too bigger/too smaller image!!

the calculator is very useful though

anybody projecting at this distance ? what do you have?

cheers

sy

If you had a TX100 at 5-6m projection distance your image could be anywhere between 2.5m and 5m diag, depending on zoom amount. The TX is a relatively short throw lens, as mentioned you need a long throw lens!

You need to sit at least 1.5 times the screen width away from the screen to get the best pic. Anywhere between 1.5 and 2 times is ideal, any more and the size impact diminishes...PJ
 
S

Symey

Guest
thanks for the replies guys

so i need a decent long thorw PJ - are there a couple that you guys would instantly recommend?

Been looking at whats out there and not all say whether they are long/short throw...

Also been looking at screens - quite a few to choose from - i'll be looking for a retractable one (i think manuakl will suffice). Whats the screen of choice for you guys out there? it will be 16:9, and i reckon 7ft

Comments welcome as always!

Thanks

Sy
 

cyberheater

Well-known Member
Have you considered a DLP machine. There's a lot a anti-DLP bias in these forums but if you aren't DLP intolerant, they will give you a much better picture for less money.

You should check out a H30 or BenQ BP6200. Both great PJ's.
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
cyberheater said:
Have you considered a DLP machine. There's a lot a anti-DLP bias in these forums but if you aren't DLP intolerant, they will give you a much better picture for less money.

Now there's fightin' talk if ever I've heard it! :)

It is amazing how many 700, Z2/Z3, HS50, TX etc etc owners pipe in on these forums but it seems relatively few DLP owners, I say relatively considering TI's smug opinion that they still corner over 90% of the market.

I think some, but my no means all, people roll out the rainbow argument far too eagerly. I do cringe when that is used as the *only* argument, and it may seem like bias.

If someone goes to the trouble of explaining that at the sub 2K end of the market LCD is a viable option (note *viable*, not best) because, among other things, you get better resolution for your money then things become a little more balanced.

For the record your "much better picture for less money" comment is possibly the most sweeping I've seen for a while (since GrahamMG's missives on the HS50 anyway) but I'd be interested to know the basis. Not having done a side-by-side comparison myself, I can only quote the few head to heads I've seen which usually pitch the 4805 against the AE700 and usually the AE700 gets the nod....PJ :hiya:
 

cyberheater

Well-known Member
PJTX100 said:
For the record your "much better picture for less money" comment is possibly the most sweeping I've seen for a while (since GrahamMG's missives on the HS50 anyway) but I'd be interested to know the basis. Not having done a side-by-side comparison myself, I can only quote the few head to heads I've seen which usually pitch the 4805 against the AE700 and usually the AE700 gets the nod....PJ :hiya:

And example would be the BenQ PB6100 DLP PJ. For less then 600 quid your getting a 2000:1 contrast ratio projector with ample lumens. It really does give an amazing image for the money. I don't know of any LCD that comes near it.

And the best bit about this game is that next year you'll be able to buy double the performance for less money. :)
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
cyberheater said:
And example would be the BenQ PB6100 DLP PJ. For less then 600 quid your getting a 2000:1 contrast ratio projector with ample lumens. It really does give an amazing image for the money. I don't know of any LCD that comes near it.
Well, yes, I'm sure it is a very good machine for the money. But it's a big extrapolation to enthuse, perhaps quite rightly, about a budget DLP then say that DLP gives you a much better image for less money across the board. As I say there are many examples where LCDs have beaten DLP machines in peer tests. But it's all opinion of course. :)

cyberheater said:
And the best bit about this game is that next year you'll be able to buy double the performance for less money. :)

That I will agree with. But do you think this situation would be quite as healthy if DLP had a complete monopoly on the low end market? The LCD technology you seem to dismiss may be a big factor in making DLP more competetive...PJ :hiya:
 

cyberheater

Well-known Member
No. I think you reading me wrong here. I'm a big fan of LCD. I think if I could have got the contrast ratio and black levels of my DLP on my AE200 then I would have stuck with it for life. I really did love that PJ.

I suppose the AE700 is that machine but I couldn't afford the 1200 odd quid to upgrade hence the BenQ machine.

Both have there place but I do believe they are both relatively short term technologys.

I hoping that some kind of hi res scanning laser will come out soon. It should offer the perfect picture.
 

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Symey

As your going for 'occasional use' have you considered a non permanent set up for the projector - a fair few of our customers simply store the projector away when its not in use and plop it down (carefully) on a coffee table when they want to use it.

The majority of projectors within your indicated budget are short throw models and you'll have a seriously limited range of LCD or DLP models to choose from if you stick with your 'back to front' of room arrangement.

Keep in mind too that whilst many projectors have a seriously big maximum screen size these entry level models are pushing the available light output to the max if you go too big - try not to plan for the biggest image available or you may be disappointed with the light level you can achieve.

A ThemeScene H27 + Beamax R-Series manual screen (image size 203cm x 114cm) + VanDamme cable kit for an all in price around £1k is a definite contender for your cash.

Best regards

Joe
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
cyberheater said:
No. I think you reading me wrong here. I'm a big fan of LCD. I think if I could have got the contrast ratio and black levels of my DLP on my AE200 then I would have stuck with it for life. I really did love that PJ.

I suppose the AE700 is that machine but I couldn't afford the 1200 odd quid to upgrade hence the BenQ machine.

Both have there place but I do believe they are both relatively short term technologys.

I hoping that some kind of hi res scanning laser will come out soon. It should offer the perfect picture.

OK, fair do's. Likewise please don't assume I view LCD with blinkered eyes. I'll be auditioning DLP for my next purchase and will probably go that way. I'm very keen though to maintain the pressure that DLP manufacturers are clearly starting to feel at the sub 2K end of the market, because it will benefit us all. Example the recent Infocus price drops.
Someone summed it up very well, saying the WXGA LCD's are "a menace" at the moment. Long may they continue to be, because it's been the kick up the ar$e the DLP fraternity needed...PJ :thumbsup:
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom