• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

A little lost....help please!

Hi guys I've recently been looking at getting rid of a noisey media pc and replacing with a media streamer, after looking around at the market place I'm a little lost. I was orignally looking a WDTV Live but after discovering that it didn't allow for picture our on both HDMI and composite simultaneously its unforntunately not suitable (I have 2 screens I need to have a picture at the same time!)

So after researching a little more I am left with the following players to choose from:

Asus O Play
A.C.Ryan PlayOn HD (73100)
A.C.Ryan PlayOn HD Mini (73200)

Out of the players listed above I think I would scrap the Asus as I like the things I'm hearing about ACRyan including YAMJ interface in with there firmware.

My questions rea as follows:-

1) Currently I have loads of 14-15Gb 1080p MKV's that I know will play great on these units (I have always stuck to those as I know they play with no problems on my media pc). Will the ACRyan handle larger files? like 30-50Gb BluRay ISO files?

2) I will be using a NAS drive to hold all my media on, I have a CAT6 network at my home running back to a 12 port Netgear Gigabit switch however I notice these units only have 10/100 network adapters....will I run into problems trying to stream HD media over my network to this device?

3) I notice Scan dont have these PlayOn's in stock (version 73200) but they do have stock of there (version 73100) in various different harddrive sizes.....is there any difference in the two models? different codec support etc?

Any help is much appreciated! I'm itching to get one of these units and would like to think I can make my mind up before the end of the day so I can get one ordered!!! lol

Cheers Guys

AVMadness

JimiAces

as far as i was aware the Play!On mini is exactly the same but obviously smaller so you can't fit an internal HDD, it also lacks the card reader. if your playing files over a network this wont be a problem.

I'm unsure if the mini is out of stock or just not released yet, i cant see it for sale anywhere in the UK

IMHO you would be better waiting till its in stock. the SFF and £40 saving makes a lot more sense;)

I have an O!play and Xtreamer, i stream 8gb-20gb mkvs over my Cat5e network without any problems

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom