1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little help...

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by B19R3d, Nov 10, 2015.

1. B19R3d

B19R3d
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm looking to build a home cinema in the garage 4.5M x 5M, I'm wondering if I should pre wire for the inclusion of Dolby Atmos speakers , would there be a great deal of difference between the 5.1 B&W speakers I have ( still boxed & yet to be fitted), and a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 ? , or should I at least "future proof" and pre wire for Atmos ?

2. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If budget allows for the extra bit of cabling then YES.
    If you can afford in my opinion you should always put as many cables as you can in at the 1st fix stage because obviously its more costly and messy to do it later for the sake of the price of the cable in a room that size I would do it.

3. B19R3d

B19R3d
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah I think that'll be the way to go , I'll pre wire for future Atmos upgrades, cheers

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,816
    Agree, if the walls are open, and you can fit the wires now, it is much to your advantage.

But consider the lay out of the room. For a single row of eating. 5.1.2 might be better than 5.1.4. You really need to consider how the room will be laid out and where the seating will be placed relative to the Atmos speakers.

With TWO Atmos speakers, they are placed slightly forward of the seating area. With FOUR Atmos speakers, the are place slightly forward of the seating and slightly behind the seating. Will you seating allow for Atmos speakers to be place in the ceiling behind the Prime Seat?

Steve/bluewizard

5. B19R3d

B19R3d
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers Steve , I'm trying to keep the prime seats in the middle-ish of the room so Atmos speaker placement shouldn't be a problem if I choose 2 or 4 for the ceiling , I'm now however , torn between an Atmos set up and a 7.1 set up (which has its own problems) , looks like I have a bit head scratching to do ...

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,816
    Keep in mind, there are few movies sound tracks that support Atmos. Most of the time those extra channels will be synthesized by the AV Receiver.

If you prime seat does not have to be against the back wall, then that lends itself better to 7.1.

However, the original question was about Atmos Wiring. If the walls and ceiling are open, then put that wiring in now. You don't want you entire theater room built up, only to have to tear it apart to get the Atmos wiring in.

Steve/bluewizard

7. B19R3d

B19R3d
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll defo pre wire for Atmos , if it takes off in a big way I'll be ready , I'm hoping to get 7.1 , but due to the fact I want a small bar in there I can't afford the floor space for the rear satellites , and I have a door in the way so I don't think I can wall mount them in the ideal position ...... Something may have to give unless I can come up with some kind of near genius solution...