A little help sorting Dolby Atmos please.

Zog

Recently made the decision to switch from Dolby 7.1 to Dolby Atmos 5.1.2

I have a Denon AVR-X2300 and this give you the ability utilise the rear 2 channels as Atmos.

So I have re-positioned the speakers and (and while I was at it all the AV equipment) now have 2 no. ceiling mounted Atmos rather than the 2 rear.

Completed the set-up on the amp and now its just about addressing the issues around the connecting cables.

I previously had a combination of sources connected directly to the TV for video with optical running to the AVR. Along with sources connected directly to the AVR. I also had a second optical running from the TV to the AVR to enable the best audio on the rare occasion that I used the TV's internal sources.

Then I discover that optical cannot carry atmos so need to re-examine more closely as the new TV has internal sources that my old TV did not.

The only external source I have connected directly to the TV is my Virgin Media box. All my other external source are connected directly to the AVR, so if Atmos is encoded in the audio then it is detected.

My question really is how to get Atmos from the TV and Virgin media box to the AVR and the 4K video from the AVR to the TV.

I think I need to enable the e-arc on the TV to send the TV audio to the AVR. Will this carry atmos from TV's internal sources and also the Virgin Media box to the AVR ?

Then in addition I need an HDMI lead from the monitor (out) socket on the AVR to take the video of all the AVR source to the TV.

Is this right and where might "passthrough" on the TV come into all this ?

dante01

Distinguished Member
What TV is it and does have an ARC enabled HDMI input?

Your AV receiver is ARC enabled and you can convey DD+ formatted audio via ARC. Atmos is paxkaged with DD+ in association with streaming services and TV broadcasters. ARC allows the HDMI cable connected between your AVR's ARC enabled output to a TV's ARC enabled input to be repurposed so it can convey audio from the TV to the AV receiver. AS mentioned, ARC can convey DD+ and it can carry Atmos if packaged with DD+.

The question is, is your TV ARC enabled?

ARC simply repurposes the HDMI connection between the AVR and the TV so that is can be used to convey audio from the TV to the AV receiver.

There's also the questyion of whether or not the TV supports Atmos? Some implimentations of syreaming apps on some TVs will not facilitate access to Atmos even if the streaming services has such content.

You'd need to connect your Virgin TV box to the AV receiver via HDMI or again use ARC is passing the audio through your TV. I'd tend to suggest you connect sources directly to the AV receiver and pass the associated video through the AV receiver to thhe TV as opposed to connecting them to the TV and passing the audio through the TV and out to the AV receiver. If HDMI sopurces are connected directly to the AVR then you'll not need to pass audio through said TV from external sources and you'd only need to use ARC to access audio sourced via the TV itself.

Yes, you need an HDMI cable from the AV receiver's ARC enabled output to your TV's ARC enabled input. THis will convey video from the AV receiver and audio back to the AV receiver if and when utiliseing ARC (Audio Return Channel).

Note that your AV receiver is only ARC enabled and not eARC (Enhanced ARC) enabled.

Standard ARC is less versatile that the enhanced variant and limited to SSD quality formats or only 2 channels of PCM data. eARC can convey HD formats as well as multichannel PCM. DD+ (Dolby Digital PLus) is an SD format so can be conveyed via the standard variant of ARC. Streaming services and TV broadcasters don't use HD formated audio.

Last edited:

Zog

TV is a Sony A80J and has an e-arc HDMI. It also supports Atmos and Dolby Vision.

So, if I have understood this correctly, I am best connecting all my external sources directly to the AVR with HDMI.

I then need e-arc HDMI to my AVR for TV audio and other internal sources on the TV.

Then a second HDMI from my AVR monitor HDMI socket, to standard HDMI on the TV for all the external video sources. This will give me the best chance of highest quality audio and video from all my sources. (As an aside I utilise the AVR all the time, never listening to anything on the TV alone.)

That seems to make sense, or have I missed anything ?

.... All I have to do then is work out how to re-configure my Harmony remote to switch it all correctly. It's going to be a long weekend. :confused:😂🤓

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, connect all your sources to the AV receiver and then connect the AV receiver's ARC enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC enabled input. Only one of the TV's inputs will be ARC enabled and it isn't always the first input that has this feature.

Turn ARC on within the AV receiver's HDMI configurations along with HDMI Control. Turn ARC on on board the TV and select a speaker option that uses your AV receiver and ARC as opposed to the TV's own speakers. I'd also suggest you turn on Bravia Sync on the TV. THis is whjat Sony term their implimentation of HDMI CEC. HDMI CEC is a requirement if wishing to use the conventional form of ARC and will be required in your case.

Zog

Looks like I have it all sorted ....

I got a little bit thrown because it is labelled as HDMI Out ...... never twigged about the ARC label.

1653057002319.png

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yeah, as I said, ARC repurposes the HDMI connection that would otherwise be used to convey video from the AVR to the TV or display. ARC make it so only audio is conveyed along thos connection from the TV to the AVR.

Zog

erm ....... nope.

All the external sources are connected direct to the AVR. They appear to be working just fine.

TV connected as above from the e-arc HDMI.

Ran the TV Audio wizard on the AVR, this is supposed to enable the arc on the AVR.

Enabled e-arc on the TV.

Video works fine. No Audio from the AVR.

Checked the HDMI cable connecting the TV and AVR. It is marked as "high speed with ethernet". Believe this is HDMI V1.4, so there shouldn't be ny issues there.

Could it be that the TV being e-arc and the TV being arc is the problem.

Beginning to lose the will to live after days of tinkering.

gibbsy

Try a new cable although it you're getting video from blu rays then it is should be working fine. The problem may lie in the new TV not recognising it. HDMI can be quite picky sometimes.

Your procedure for setting up ARC.....

Setting procedure​

Enable the HDMI control function of this unit.
Set “HDMI Control” to “On”. link
Turn the power on for all the devices connected by HDMI cable.

Set the HDMI control function for all devices connected by HDMI cable.
Please consult the operating instructions for the connected devices to check the settings.
Carry out steps 2 and 3 should any of the devices be unplugged.
Switch the television input to the HDMI input connected to this unit.

Switch the input source of this unit to check that video from the player connected by HDMI is played back correctly.

When you turn the TV’s power to standby, check that the power of this unit also goes to standby.

Zog

Try a new cable although it you're getting video from blu rays then it is should be working fine. The problem may lie in the new TV not recognising it. HDMI can be quite picky sometimes.

Your procedure for setting up ARC.....

Setting procedure​

Enable the HDMI control function of this unit.
Set “HDMI Control” to “On”. link
Turn the power on for all the devices connected by HDMI cable.

Set the HDMI control function for all devices connected by HDMI cable.
Please consult the operating instructions for the connected devices to check the settings.
Carry out steps 2 and 3 should any of the devices be unplugged.
Switch the television input to the HDMI input connected to this unit.

Switch the input source of this unit to check that video from the player connected by HDMI is played back correctly.

When you turn the TV’s power to standby, check that the power of this unit also goes to standby.

Think you've slightly mis-understood the set-up and issues. Probably my fault for over elaborating.

The solitary issue is the return audio on the single HDMI that connects the TV to the AVR.

Holy [email protected] though ...... kudos for your first suggestion.

Swapped out the cable ....

BINGO !!!!

All working fine and even getting Atmos from the Netfix app on the TV.

So ... so often. It's just the simple stuff !

Cheers people. Another happy contributor.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom