A little help required with install

flordiaregular

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm aftersome advice from wise people than me regarding installing the correct kit in myextension and then elsewhere in the house, some of the info I give may be vaguebut please feel free to ask the right questions to get me down the correctpath.
So Ibuilding an extension the full width of the house on the rear which will be abig family room with a nice big TV and modest av system, the below is what Ialready have or what I'm intending on getting:-

Samsung 64f8500 or panny 65vt65 - to buy
Sony 820 av amp approx. 5 years old but will get something newer as I want pass through as the wife doesn't like surround when watching normal TV
Jamo A102 HCS5 surround speakers would like something bigger but SWMBO will not allow however something the same size but better if poss. could be a goer.
WDTV live media player with 1.5Tb external hard drive with all family photos, family videos, my Blu-ray and dvd rips as I find it easier than looking for what to watch from my collection, and a large selection of music
PS3 which will be getting replaced by PS4 xmas time
Sky HD box

What Iwould like to do is to be able to watch what's on the hard drive in the existing TV room and also in some of the bedrooms
So what I want to know is what I need to do in order to do this, I would appreciate helpquite quickly as I've just finished the 1st fix electrics and need to do the AV before we board it

Thanks for getting this far:thumbsup:

Andy

Last edited:
You need a media centre/server and boxes to receive the content connected to every TV.
There are lots of solutions and you will need to research what suits your needs best.
I run plex media server on my mac with my DVD rips and other media on an attached external hard drive.
I then have an Apple TV with plex client (reciever) installed. Whichever TV the Apple TV box is connected to will play my content. You can run multiple apple TVs. Other options are sling box, roku, popcorn hour, some smart tv's, windows media server, Xbox media centre.....

Ping-Pong, thanks for that, I've got no problem researching however if anybodycould direct me to some suitable and possibly layman's terms that would be great.

Also any schematic drawings or layout drawings would be nice

Andy

Can anybody help me with some additional info, or even give me ideas of what you have do with your install?

Are any of the TVs in the other rooms "smart TVs" ?

If so you can centrally store all your photos/videos/music on a PC and access them across a home network. This could be a standard pc or a dedicated media server PC (sounds expensive but doesn't have to be).

We have used VortexBox that turns a standard PC into a media server (and its free) about - VortexBox user forum

it will rip music, dvds automatically and photos can easily be uploaded.

So in terms of networking you will need 1 x CAt5 (better still cat6) cable to each room back to a network switch or router.

If TVS aren't "Smart TV" then you can get players even the Raspberry Pi can act as a player so doesn't have to be expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom