Question A little help please

mitch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i'm looking for some advice. I've recently lost my father in law to cancer and as we used to discuss AV equipment with each other I've been tasked by my mother in law with selling his photography equipment.Before he passed away he was a keen amateur photographer and before retirement was a school photographer. I've been given a list of equipment but it might as well be written in Klingon as my knowledge doesn't go past snapshots on my iPhone. As such id appreciate any advice on what the items are worth and where the best place to sell is.

Many thanks in advance

Canon EOS 30 camera with canon ultrasonic 28-90M lens
Mamiya RZ67 with 120 Bach mamiya Seker Z 90m lens
Fuji Finepix S2 Pro with Nikon 35-80 lens
Fuji Finepix S2 Pro with Nikon 28-100 lens
Fuji Finepix S9500 with 28-300 zoom lens
Metz flash 36AF40 digitalFuji S5 with Tamron 18-250 zoom lens
Fuji S5 with Nikon DX18-135 zoom lens
Sekonic L328 Digilite F flashmeter

Lighting
Bowens Esprit 1500
Bowens Esprit 250
Bowens Esprit 500

Very sorry to hear of your loss. To get an idea of value you could try sending the list to mpb.com - Buy or Sell Used Photo & Video Equipment or searching on eBay. It looks 10-15 years old so the value of digital camera bodies of that vintage is quite low now. The Mamiya is a medium format film camera and most interesting in my view.

The Mamiya sells for anything from £500 to £1500 depending on the lens & condition. Ebay is a good guide to what they are selling at, but I wouldn't expect too much. Shop around for offers.

The Mamiya sells for anything from £500 to £1500 depending on the lens & condition. Ebay is a good guide to what they are selling at, but I wouldn't expect too much. Shop around for offers.

Thanks. Anything specific to look out for regards condition?

Studio lights looks like it could be worth a couple of hundred £ as a bundle. S2's go for £50 for a body, depends on what Nikon lenses they are (look out for low F numbers, should be printed on the end or barrel of the lens i.e. f2.8 bit more info would be useful), ebay sold seems to show the mamiya with 90mm going between £300 and £500, light meter around £50, s9500 around £90, Fuji s5 bodies are around £200.

Remember that if you sell through ebay and get paid by paypal there are approx. 12.5% fees off the selling price.

As others have said worth pinging off a few emails to second hand sealers to see what they say -

MPB, Mifsuds, Ffords, LCE

Cheers guys. Are those second hand sellers fair with their pricing? As all the money is going to my pensioner mother in law I would like to get as much as possible for her.

From my experience they tends to be a bit of variation in price provided and it is probably lower than the average Ebay selling price as they have to make their money on profit of resale (which they take a risk on how much and how long) but the price is certain and you will get your money and they often provide a shipping service included. The ebay alternative is less certain in terms of the price you get plus you have fees/postage/delivery/collection to deal with. You pays you money (or gets your money) you takes your choice.

You could always put them in the classifieds on here and see how they go but you will need to state a price so worth doing some research (oh, and read the classified rules first).

From my experience they tends to be a bit of variation in price provided and it is probably lower than the average Ebay selling price as they have to make their money on profit of resale (which they take a risk on how much and how long) but the price is certain and you will get your money and they often provide a shipping service included. The ebay alternative is less certain in terms of the price you get plus you have fees/postage/delivery/collection to deal with. You pays you money (or gets your money) you takes your choice.

You could always put them in the classifieds on here and see how they go but you will need to state a price so worth doing some research (oh, and read the classified rules first).

Cheers. To be honest I’d rather sell on here and sell to someone who wants it rather than someone who’s going to make profit on it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom