1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Little Help Please :)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by samjpullen, Mar 17, 2005.

1. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi guys i am in the Market for a Plasma/LCD, i am not sure witch i want at the moment but i just came accross this one in Argos

what is this LCD like ?? also would i be better off going for a Plasma over LCD or LCD over Plasma, its all a bit confusing, my budget was around £1400 but i would stretch it a little if this Sony LCD is good :)

also could anyone else recomend a decent plasma/lcd for around my budget, if i could get one that is HD ready that would be great but i am not sure with my budget :)

Thanks for taking time to read this.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the one you linked to is an RPTV not a flat LCD panel.......for plasma look at Panny PW7 and LG PX11 for RPTV see the RPTV forum (only 42" HDready TV in budget will be RPTV)

3. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    what does it mean by LCD then ? i understand its a rear projection but how does the LCD come into that ?? about how thin would the Sony be ?

also i noticed a 37inch TH37PW7B on AVSales, is that Plama any good ?

i can get confused pretty easy but i like to learn about this stuff, would the RPTV be worth investing in or would i be better off getting a LCD or Plasma.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    37PW7B is great plasma
    The sony uses an LCD projector in a box and would be 3-4times depth of a plasma/LCD panel minimum.......NOT wall mountable!

5. c4lln

c4lln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mdx
    i have juat upgrade to plasma from rptv and there is definetly no going back. try looking at the 42 pw7 it is within your budget and is a very good plasma screen and i am very pleased with mine.

chris

6. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Arrrgh there are so many different tvs its unfair :(

where would a good place to get the 42PW7 from ? also is this the best Plasma for my price range :)

i will be using it for my dvd home cinema (when i get it), Sky+, xbox/ps2/gamecube and i would also want to hook my PC upto it if possible :)

will the PW7 do all of this ? or would i have to spend more cash ? i won't be needing a tuner box will i ? i mean the Sky+ will take care of that :)

Thanks again guys i do appreciate this help alot

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    There are lots out there, but not lots of great ones. If you aren't too worried about compatibility with Sky high definition TV and I wouldn't get too fussed about that the PW7 will do all you want. You will need the dual slot component board in it and for the ultimate picture quality from Sky+, assuming that you don't want to lash out another £800+ on a scaler, you may want to think about getting a JS Tech RGB to VGA converter. Sky+ goes through that into the VGA port that is built into the panel, DVD goes to the component board, one of the games boxes can go into the S-video port on the dual slot board. If frequent PC use is a must then an extra VGA board may be worth considering.

Don't forget that you are going to need a fair number of decent quality cables to hook all this lot up.

It may all sound complicated, but once you have done it once it isn't too bad. Take a look at the forum sponsors' adverts to see where to buy everything from and where to get good advice (and yes i am a forum sponsor!)

8. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Look ?? almost all of that went right over my head lol

what is this about Boards and Panels ? i am guessing it isnt as easy as a normal tv where its all plug and play :(

Would the Screen quality on the PW7 be better than the Sony that i found on the Argos site ? just i notice the resolution is alot higher on the RPTV than the Plasma, i am not sure i am that fussed about putting it on the wall now :/

its all alot more complicated than i first thought :(

9. c4lln

c4lln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    basically the sony tv from argos is old technology. if you are not bothered about the bulkyness of the tv, you should be looking at the dlp rear projection sets not lcd. these give a much better picture and most are high definition compatabile, or a plasma screen but large lcd screens do cost alot.

i would suggest you have a look around the like of currys, comet and any tv wholesalers and see what looks good in your eyes, then have a look in the forums to see what other people say about those specific sets. when you have decided on a model use www.pricerunner.co.uk or similar website to get the best possible price and deal.
    regards
    chris

10. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    it just seems as tho getting a set like the Sony will be easy, i don't get what all the Panels and Boards are all about ? is it just like a pc where you can upgrade e.g new graphics card might be a new scart card ?

is there a site where i can read up on all this kinda stuff at all ? just a site that details what is what :)

because at the moment i am confused about what everything is :/

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    OK, didn't mean to baffle you with science - thought you had done the homework.

The PW7 is a plasma panel, not a plasma TV. It was designed to display computer graphics in corporate boardrooms so comes with a VGA computer input port and no other inputs. But...it is really good for home cinema use provided you are willing to go the extra mile, get the additional boards (these plug into slots at the bottom / back of the panel and allow you to connect up things like DVD players, games boxes etc.) The VGA port also works really well with Sky but you have to convert the scart RGB output of the Sky box to VGA - this is what the JS Technology RGB to VGA converter does superbly.

It isn't plug and play, but equally it isn't rocket science - lots of folk are using the PW7 for home cinema with great results and it knocks spots off many other "TV plasmas".

12. c4lln

c4lln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want a hd ready tv try searching for toshiba 46wm48p on pricerunner, this tv is was released approx 6 months ago so is new technology ( unlike the sony you are looking at) hd ready and by is highly regarded on the forums, should do everything you need it for and is only about 50 dearer than the sony from argos

13. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Thanks for the help guys, i think i might have to do some proper home work on this now (damn!)

and there was me thinking it was going to be so simple :(

14. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The simple solution is to go into Comet and buy what a washing machine salesman advises is the best TV / plasma. You can do much better than that, have come to the right place for advice and with a bit more home work will end up with a screen that will be in a totally different league, and probably for less money.

15. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    nooo not Comet ;)

i am not that stupid hehe, i just need to look at my options, i will have around 2k for a full system, so i was going to spend £1400 on the plasma and the rest on a dvd system and a nice comfy chair hehe

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  17. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Ok then guys i think i am going to go for a PW7.

if i get this Panel what other components would i need to hook up all of these.

Sky+ box, Panasonic dvd recorder, xbox, gamecube and possible ps2 and also my pc :) (the pc has a Scart)

?????

would i just need one JS vag to rgb scard cards and then get a scart switcher ? also i was considering getting a new dvd system but i might aswell just get some speakers to hook upto my Panasonic EB50S.

is this a good option ?? or would i need be better off getting a new dvd player ?

so what i was thinking is i would get the Panel and then one of those JS vga to rgb scart cards ? and then hook that upto a scart switcher and run everything via that.

does this seem like a good option or would i lose alot of picture and sound quality doing this ??

also can anyone recomend some good speakers for this :) i will be needing 2 rear 2 front and a center :)

Many thanks so far guys :thumbsup:

18. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Another option would be a Panny Viera, these are plug and play and if your using a AV amp then you can connect through here

19. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    but how much would one of them bad boys set me back ?

i have no amp at the moment.

at the moment all i have is a 28inch Sony Trinitron, Panasonic dvd recorder and a Sky+ box :)

20. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Probably around £2000
    Good TV though and worth the money, by the time you have bought monitor and required boards, stand ect you might be very near this price anyway

21. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    where is the best place to look at these ?? also would size screen would that be.

umm i hate having to choose lol, i make my mind up but then somthing else comes along and makes me consider my options again :(

i am now looking on John Lewis, that 5 year warranty sounds amazing :)

one of the Viera on JL is almost 5k!!! :(

are plasma screens much much better quality than RPTV ?? just i am also going to look at some of these when i get time, prices are cheaper and as i have been told most are HD ready :)

22. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pa30.html

Try here for one quick price £2280
    I have the 37" and am very pleased with PQ ect. Footy on sky can look very good, Some programs on some chans look a bit grainy at times but this is down to sky, DVDs look superb.

I would say Plasmas are better than RPTV, they have larger viewing angle and look alot brighter than RPTV, Colours and blacks also seem to be better or the ones I looked at were.

For simplicity the viera is very good, for me it was the best buy giving ease of use and good PQ. Not sure how much better the PW7 would be as I havnt seen one running properly, Im sure others will tell you. It depends on your needs though.

23. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Ummmm they do looks very very nice, but i don't think i could justify spending that much on a tv (its for my Bedroom)

i am 19 living at home with the mother but i spend all my time in the bedroom (when not at work) so i might aswell kit it out the way i want it :)

i am going to have a look at some Plasmas and RPTVs maybe today if i get time, i might end up getting a RPTV in the end just for ease of use, but if the picture quality isnt as sharp or is dull i will be getting a plasma for sure :)

my room is aroung 14ft long at the tv will go at one end and my new chair about 9/10feet away.

i have now just thought about even getting a new CTR set :(, i know its good to have a choise of things but i annoy myself when i can't make a decision.

24. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  26. c4lln

c4lln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you thought of getting a projector? seems to be the only thing missing from your list :)

27. samjpullen

samjpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i think a projector might be a little big for the size of my room.