1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little help please

Discussion in 'TVs' started by [-lOST-], Sep 29, 2004.

1. [-lOST-]

[-lOST-]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

first time looking into Rear Projection

what 1 is the best out of these 1's.
    :lease:

Sony KD44DX2 44in Rear Projection TV, VCR and DVD Player.

Sony 44"

Toshiba 42WH36P 100Hz Rear Projection TV

Tosh

Toshiba 42PW33P 42in Widescreen Rear Projection TV
    another Tosh

Thanx for any help guys,as i know nothing about these tv's

2. pipcat

pipcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know any of these TVs personally so can only give you general thoughts / advice...

Have you actually 'seen' any of these TVs in action? If possible try to find a place that has them and check them out. Specifically try to see what difference your viewing angle makes (does picture go dark if you go to the side or stand up?). Will you be watching in a faily bright environment? If so, will they be bright enough or will you always have to close the curtains?

Looking at the ads, none of them mentions the technology used (CRT, LCD, DLP). I personally would only go for a DLP based rear projection as I think this gives the best picture. However it is also more expensive - you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Is High Definition important to you? From 2006 the UK will start getting Sky in High Definition - is this a buying decision? I didn't see anything in the specs to say that they were HD compatible. Personally I wouldn't buy a TV that will be (in a way) obsolete in 2 years.

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say the 42WH36, but I've not seen the Sony so that's a bit biased. Other reasons would be that the Tosh has component video and the picture is bloody fantastic. I got the 51WH but I looked at both and I could have happily settled for the 42. I was able to go bigger though :)