1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little help in deciding please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Josh_P, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Josh_P

Josh_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Was wondering if you guys can help me with a decission.

I am about to purchase a Plasma and was looking at the Pioneer 434 HDE, however, the reason for buying the plasma is purely a practical one.

I am only buying a Plasma because I need to hang it on the wall in order to allow a projector screen to drop down in front of it.

At present I own a Sony 32FD1 which gives an exceptional picture but unfourtunately takes up to much room!!

I also own a Sony VPL-VW11HT which I use for watching DVD's, therefore, the plasma would be used mainly for watching TV via Sky+.

I've read a few posts here that suggest the PQ from Sky is not very good on some channels (no problems seen on 32FD1) and watch skysports quite a bit.

Anyway, heres the question, would I be wasting my money buying the Pioneer 434HDE purely for watching TV via Sky?

Would I be disappointed with any Plasma while viewing anything other than a DVD?

The TV I have at the moment is probably the best PQ i have seen and would not want to spend over £4000 on a plasma only to be disappointed.

Hope you guys can help, any suggestions other than Pioneer would be much appreciated.

Has anyone had there 434HDE professionally calibrated? if so, was there a great improvement in PQ?

Cheers

Josh

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Josh
    The thing that really impressed me with the 434 is its performance with other sources other than DVD compared to all other plasmas that I have seen. Do a search, there is a lot in this forum including my comments. You can do test for yourself provided you find a place that allows a good demo. Pioneer's strength with this model is the all-digital media box and this is the key to PQ for all other sources. I am sure you will see the difference that I am telling you about. I changed from the 433 to 434 and the moment that even the analog TV signal came through as I switched it on...it was so much better!

You cannot yet professionally calibrate the 434 until Pioneer provides the right software and certification for the good people like Gordon at Convergent.

3. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Josh,

Strangely enough I just moved my Sony FD1 to another room and brought a 434. The FD1 has an amazing picture that I think has never been bettered on a CRT.

For watching DVD's the picture is fine except for low lit pictures, but for my Sky !! mostly awful. They don't use enough bandwidth and hence most pictures block too much. On my 32" CRT they were blockly but smaller blocks, now we're talking Lego.