1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a little help connecting 2 speakers from a mini hifi system to a yammie receiver

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nd4spd, Dec 28, 2003.

1. nd4spd

nd4spd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I finally got my 5.1 setup up and running, and I was wondering if I can connect the 2 speakers of my Technics mini hifi replacing the 2 front speakers from my 5.1 speaker system. Because of some doubtness I kindly ask you for your kind advice if it's possible for this to work.
    The specs are as follows:
    TV: Sony 32" KV32FX68
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V440
    Home cinema speaker set: JBL SCS178, 5.1, 4ohm impedance:eek:
    DVD player: Sony NS333

Now, the specification for the 2 Technics speakers are: firstly they use bi-wiring:confused: , and their ratings are 15W DIN for the high input and 30W DIN for the low frequency input, 6 ohm impedance for both high and low frequencies. I don't know the ratings in RMS watts.
    The receiver has an output of 65W RMS per channel but if it's measured I think it will be more like 30W RMS per channel especially considering the 4ohm impedance for the JBL speaker set.

I was thinking for the possibility to drive the Tehnics speakers in the following way: high input connected to the speaker A ad low input connected to the speaker B in the back of the receiver.

For all the guys in the know: would you please help me with an advice if this will work? I dont want to damage anything in my new (costly for me) setup.

Many thanks and cheers,
    Valentin

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    I don`t think it would work as Technics systems aren`t just Bi-wired but Bi-amped so the speakers don`t have an internal crossover, They rely on the amp sending the right frequencies to the speakers !!

Which means if you connect them you could potentially damage the speakers :(

3. nd4spd

nd4spd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate. I much appreciate. Indeed, the speakers have a sticker in the back stating a possible damage if connected to other amp but the one which they were built for.
    In theory, if the speakers would have had an internal crossover my idea for connecting them to the receiver could've been right, couldn't it?

4. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    Yep