A Little Hard Drive advice please.

General Panic

Hi guys

Just buying a new rig primarily for gameing and a little HD advice needed.

I have 2 options just now for my storage abilities.

1. A 400gb SATA drive with a spin of 7200 , quite standard and usually what i go for.

2. On advice from a friend maybe get 2 drives. A primary drive like a WD 150gb Raptor at 10000 spin to store Windows and 2 or 3 of my fav games. Coupled with a 250gb SATA 7200 spin drive for music,photos and misc games etc.

Does the Raptor speed up my Windows and Games significantly or will i barely notice the difference?

If i go for the 2 drive option my budget go's up by £130 or so and to counter that i will probably have to drop my graphic card from a GF8800gts 640mb card down to the 320mb flavour.

Cheers.

Papua

The graphics card will make a bigger difference than the hd. The raptor that you mentioned is a good beast, but I've found that it doesn't make that much difference. If you were to use two of them and the use a hardware raid device then you could get significantly faster data transfers.

If it was me I'd go for your original spec and then if you want to add a raptor later when you can afford it as the second drive and put your games on that.

tinners

I agree, spend the money on the graphics.

I didnt find a significant speed up using the raptor, but that was a 36Gb one a couple of years ago. It died and I ended up replacing it with 2 bigger drives in the end.

General Panic

Cheers guys , Raptor temporarily put on hold.

As Papua says can always add it in later on.

AML

I recomend you have a faster drive like the Raptor as your main HD where you instal windows.

I use the 74gb raptor for windows and a few main games im always playing and it flies!

I have second/third SATA and USB HDD's I use for downloads, torrents, movies, videos, music and so on.

Other than standard HDDs you might also want to start thinking about Solid State Drives (SSD's) that are starting to come out.

Personaly I want one of those as it will speed things up even more than a raptor.

Going back to the raptors, I dont agree with Papuas coments that it doesnt make much difference.

If you compare the seek times with a standard 7200 hd you will see that the seek times are halved by the raptors. (8ms on standard drives compared to 4ms on any raptor.)

I know its just numbers, but in my opinion I wouldnt go back to using a standard drive as my main drive.

GrahamC

I recomend you have a faster drive like the Raptor as your main HD where you instal windows.

I use the 74gb raptor for windows and a few main games im always playing and it flies!

I have second/third SATA and USB HDD's I use for downloads, torrents, movies, videos, music and so on.

Other than standard HDDs you might also want to start thinking about Solid State Drives (SSD's) that are starting to come out.

Personaly I want one of those as it will speed things up even more than a raptor.

Going back to the raptors, I dont agree with Papuas coments that it doesnt make much difference.

If you compare the seek times with a standard 7200 hd you will see that the seek times are halved by the raptors. (8ms on standard drives compared to 4ms on any raptor.)

I know its just numbers, but in my opinion I wouldnt go back to using a standard drive as my main drive.
It may or may not make a dif but if the budget is tight then the graphics is where the money should go.

Papua

As I said earlier, I don't think the raptor is that big an improvement, through actually using one. Yes they do improve the throughput but it you really want to improve it and have the money then there's always SCSI drives at 15K rpm that really fly.

But for the purpose of this discussion as I said above I would go for the better graphics as this would be more costly to upgrade in the future, whereas it is relatively easy to put in another hard drive and put all the data on that.

I found windows booting times whilst quicker with the raptor was not the sort of increase that I would have hoped for.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom