A Little disappointed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Movieman, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just taken delivery of the panny PT AE1000, and spent the morning setting it up, and I must say I'm a little disappointed in the sharpness of the picture, having said that I am only using a standard DVD player (Denon 2910) at 720p.
    I'm planing on getting a dual format player around Christmas which I'm sure will make a big difference, but I still expected a good improvement in picture quality over my panny PT AE 700?
    May be I'm feeding it the wrong signal, is 720p best or 1080i or even 565? and let the projector upscale, I'm also projecting it onto a DIY screen, MDF painted with screen paint.

any views?

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I believe the PJ is 1080p. I would try a couple of things as you are using two scaling sessions and less is best. First try setting the player to 576 and let the PJ upscale to 1080p. Then, select 1080i or 1080p on the player and let the player upscale for you. If you can only do 1080i, the PJ will just convert it to progressive.

What connection are you using? HDMI would be best if you have it or if you haven't, use component.

3. goose51

goose51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    did you demo it before you bought it? if so, was it like this in the demo room?
    not sure whether the diy screen will be doing you any favours, personally i'd be using a 'proper' screen.
    panasonics 'smoothscreen' technology is in use on the PT-AE1000, could be a factor as i know of at least one owner of a PT-AX100 who has returned his and exchanged it for a sanyo z-5 because of the smoothscreen issue.

goose

4. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks guys
    I'm connecting using HDMI and as for the screen, I'm not to sure because I bought some screen material from DRH to cover my screen and I end up taking it off as my diy version looked better.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    Is your picture in focus all the way across the screen? I found when I first set mine up it was soft on one side due to the PJ being at a (very) slight angle. This applies up and down as well. Also having extreme lens shift can be detremental to the picture. Otherwise if it is all in focus, then I can only suggest trying the different outputs from your 2910, 576p as well as 1080i (or 'p' if it does it). Try turning 'OFF' the two 'NR' modes seen in the menu and don't bump up the 'sharpness' too high as it only makes the picture noisy.

Other things to check are that the HDMI level (can't remember the exact name) is set correctly as one setting makes it very washed out. Also use the waveform monitor to set your brightness and contrast, don't use 'dynamic' mode and try the different 'Colour' or 'Cinema' modes....'Colour 1' is supposed to be the closest to D6500 IIRC. Not that any of the above will make a difference to 'sharpness', but worth getting the best out of your new toy anyway.:smashin:

Hope some of this is useful, I posted on the AE1000 calibration thread how to set up using the waveform monitor if you need to know.

PS. I didn't find that my picture looked any sharper when I went from a wall to a proper screen, just that the contrast improved due to the grey colour and the black borders giving better definition to the picture.

6. ollielou

ollielou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    needs hi def that will knock your socks off,upscaled dvds just dont cut it tbh,especially if its a bad transfer also eg the da vinci code [yuk]try gladiator in sd :clap::hiya:

7. u02ai

u02ai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I found this when I demoed the projector a few days ago. However a few things seemed to help- we put on a sd film with a good transfer (monsters inc) and that seemed to look a lot better. I found the main thing on sd was the picture noise, but bearing in mind that this is probably the first projector that I have properly seen and the image is around 100 inch I think it is probably normal.

the real relevation was the high def stuff, I took my ps3 along with me and the blu ray stuff was breathtaking:thumbsup:
    I was impressed enough to order one:rotfl: which should arrive some time next week.

8. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers u02ai

That it I think the projector is designed for HD material and that's when you get the best out of it, I have just ordered a proper screen, should be hear Monday, so I'll see if that helps. I am also going to get a dual format player at some point soon.

9. u02ai

u02ai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Movieman- the PTAE1000 is a steal at the new knock down discount price ( i assume that you paid for it) and indeed you should be happy you got a good bargain;)- nothing else can come close at this price range and it even gives the machines costing twice as much a run for the money.
    Supplies are running pretty dry of it with both roy jowett and av sales having run out- I am pleased that I managed to pick one up as I would have kicked myself once they had run out. :smashin:

10. u02ai

u02ai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    just got my ptae 1000 today from av sales :clap::clap: This was my first projector but setup was a breeze. Have to say the sd stuff does look very, very crap in comparison to the high def material but still watchable. I can see what you were disappointed with now movieman..............but take solace in how amazing the picture will look when you get a high def player:thumbsup:
    Even my wife remarked on how great the picture looked even when being projected onto a magnolia wall.

11. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers I'm sure it will be great.
    Have messed around a little more and got a slightly better picture, so a little happier for now.

12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    I watched Blood Diamond on mine last night and I thought it was a great picture (not a bad film either:smashin:) at 1080i from my Sony DVD player. Afterwards I put on a recording from BBC HD on my PC to try out my new graphics card and TBH it wasn't that much better that I could no longer watch SD.

A surprising difference, believe it or not, was that last night I put a dark coloured throw on the sofa nearest the screen and that made the picture much deeper due to less reflections from the cream sofa. I'm going to have to try to build/rig up somekind of three sided 'tent' to shield the top and sides of the screen from the light coloured walls and ceiling. These PJs really benefit from being setup and making the room as dark and reflection free as possible, otherwise you don't see the quality this thing is capable of....I guess that's true of any half decent PJ though.;)

13. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    TBH you can expect to be disappointed putting an SD picture into a state of the art HD projector. It will be even worse if you are feeding an interlaced scan into the projector. When you upgrade do make sure you take advantage of full HD 1080p machine (HDXE1 is a fantastic match). Also be aware that the ae1000 is renowned for its softer more filmic image due to the smooth screen technology which makes the LCD chickenwire effect virtually disappear. Of course you may have a faulty unit and I would suggest putting a HD signal into it to test it asap. Colour 1 is the best out of the box setting. Also be aware that you need to be in a light controlled room as the AE1000 is not the brightest PJ and a good screen will help, possibly a 1.2 gain screen will offer the best surface if you room lets in a little light.
    I have the ae1000, hdxe1, xbox 360 and a panoview screen in a light controlled room and the results are simply excellent.

14. u02ai

u02ai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52

yeah i take your points.....I literally just pulled it out of the box and started watching it so I appreciate i probably need to setup the picture better. My seating distance is also probably too close- about 3metres away from a 106inch screen.......close enough to see all the flaws!

15. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I agree with you guys I put this dark brown suede material down the side and behind the screen and it made a huge difference.

[​IMG]

My 92" Beamax A-Velvet fixed screen hope fully arrives tomorrow, so will very interested to see if it makes a difference?

16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    That looks really nice Movieman.:thumbsup: I wish I could set something up like that, but my screen covers the main window in the lounge so I need something easily removable.

17. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I do like the Scarface painting on the L/H wall :D

BTW the 2910 does not upscale to 1080P, only 1080i 2930 does though :smashin:

18. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers guys

I know the 2910 doesn't upscale to 1080p, but until a dual format HD player comes out it will have to do. When the screen arrives I'll try and post some images.
    As for the scar face picture I'm glade you like it, I painted it myself.

19. u02ai

u02ai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Lovin it!:thumbsup:

movieman I was going for a A series velvet screen also, where did you get yours from? also did you go for the matt white or high contrast grey?
    Would be very interested to know how you get on with it...........

20. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    The PJ will upscale anyway. If you do 576i or 720p from the 2910 then the picture is still upscaled to 1080p.

21. u02ai

u02ai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    just looking through the manual and it looks like you can only use the 1080/24 'cinema reality' with interlaced signals.......have set my ps3 to output 1080p/24 but displays as 1080/50 on the panasonic setup screen. is this right?

22. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I got the 92" screen from 247cinema.com for £410, I ended up going for the High contrast, mainly because the matt white were out of stock at beamax and there was a 3-4 week wait, and I thought that because I'm in a light controlled room and only sitting 10 feet away that I could get away with it.

23. u02ai

u02ai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Movieman,
    I take it there is a drop in brightness then with the high contrast screens?

let me know what you think when it arrive m8 as this is all I want to decide on before ordering:)

24. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    OK u02ai will do

yes there will be a slight drop in brightness, as the matt white has a gain of 1.2 and the high contrast 1.0, but as I mentioned above if you control the light, and view in total darkness as I can and only siting 10 feet away, I don't think it should be a problem.

I'll let you know as soon as it arrives and is up on the wall.

25. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well screen arrived today, initial thoughts on the assembled screen looks excellent, first impressions of the image ( with out any calibration for the new screen) images do look slightly sharper. I will recalibrate and watch a film later "Next" with Nicholas Cage and let you know tomorrow.

26. u02ai

u02ai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I thought the beamax high contrast screen was 0.8 gain? how do you find the blacks and contrast on the new screen.

Also just for some guidance what would be the rough gain of a off white wall? i am quite happy with the brightness projecting onto the wall at the moment