1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little bit of help please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sjl, Jun 14, 2004.

1. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok heres the situation,I have just purchased a Panny PW6 and having not upgraded for a little while have now got the bug again :D

My current kit is listed below

Sony STR-DB930 amp
    Sony video(not been used for months and months
    Sony DVP-S535D DVD player
    Tivo
    Quintro switch box
    Monitor Audio speakers

When I purchased the plasma it was suggested that I would be best off using component connections but tbh I have not got a clue what I will gain from using these :confused: can someone please explain the benefits of this?

I know that if I go down this route I will also need to change my dvd player but thats another question for a different part of the forum.But will I still be able to connect everything else as I have now or is there a better way of doing it?

Ideally I would like to spend approx £500 on a amp and haver not decided on a figure for the dvd yet.As a side note I have a friend who would like to buy my old amp has anyone got any thoughts as to what a reasonable price would be for it?

Many thanks

Steve

2. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Component gives you the absolute best image quality, better than RGB even.

Particularly with the Panny PW6 screen, where there seems to be an even bigger disparity between image quality (For instance, my Sky+ looks better with the RGB signal converted to Component than an actual RGB connection)

Component will also allow you to use Progressive Scan processing, which effectively doubles the horizontal line resolutiong, giving you a clearer picture. Though you will need a Progressive Scan DVD player to see this (Or NTSC Gamecube, Xbox etc)

Just get a Component terminal board for the Panny Plasma and then get an Amp with component switching.

Gary A

3. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah component is the best really.

I never drop below S-VIDEO for PJ sources.

4. sjl

sjl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok cheers fellas,any recommendations as to what amp?And whats my old one worth?

Steve