1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a little advice with the reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lhough20, Aug 22, 2004.

1. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to this AV lark and just wondered if anyone could answer a question on connecting a sky+ box to my surround amp.

The sky+ box is connected to the surround processor via an optical cable and is working fine as far as i can tell. THe thing is the amp displays PCM on the front when viewing normal TV. When watching a DVD (connected to the amp by a coax cable) the amp displays 3/2.1

What is the difference with these displays? is it just that the satalite signal isn't in surround? Surely some programmes on sky are recorded in surround such as the box office films etc? The settings on the sky+ box are set to output "dolby D"

Also i'm thinking of buying the denon DHT-500sd all in one system to replace my dvd player and surround amp. Would i be able to connect the sky+ to the all-in-one to listen to TV through it?

Thanks for any help.
    Lee

Sony kf42sx300
    Sky+
    PLU2 DVD
    Phillips FR984 surround amp

2. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just spent a day messing round with various cables and found the best quality sound for listening to Cable broadcasts through my Denon DHT-500SD was when I RGB scarted my NTL box to the Panny Viera and then used the TV's audio out to go into one of the Denon's pair of audio in phono's.

My NTL box didnt have audio out on it so I initially I routed the sound via a scart out to two phonos and into the Denon but the sound was not as crystal as coming directly from the TV and noticeably quieter. Apparently, the audio out on the Viera pe30's bypass any internal amplification so you get a clear auidio feed directy from your ntl/sky box via a decent RGB scart.

PS. Doing it this way will also let you listen to any source connected to the TV through the Denon's surround and in Dolby PL / PLII (eg. Xbox/PSII).

PS PS. Just make sure you set input to analogue via the function button on the Denon remote else you will hear diddly squatt, unless of course SKY+ has optical out. If it does then I would recommend you connect it straight to the Denon via Tos link optical cable. then you will have digital sound. The analogue set up like mine still sounds fantastic though.

Hope this helps.

Fly

3. pib01

pib01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for sky+ to output dolby digital you need to go to services,system setup,sound settings and set optical output to dolby.sky only transmit certain movies in 5.1,these can be found in the info on tv guide

4. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Sky+ will output all it's audio through the optical cable, but only movies shown with DD in the synopsis are broadcast in dolby digital. The rest are stereo or Pro-Logic. I leave my 3803 in Neo6 mode when watching Sky, it automatically detects when the input switches to Dolby Digital and switches itself accordingly. I would assume your system does the same.