A little advice please

A

AcousticWave

alright mate i just had a quick look over your choices and they seem fine mate to start you off,you have everything you need there dts etc not to sure of any reviews of the amp or dvd player but sony are usually rock solid in the bang to the buck stakes.also i would say get yourself some half decent cables and you have taken the first step on the path to a very expensive hobby lol.

no matter how happy you are with the equipment you ALWAYS end up upgrading something and then that leads to the other stuff being upgraded lmao.also try and make sure you get the front 3 speakers from the same brand if possible,the rears are less important but if you can match all 5 then great if not then try and get the front 3 the same.

when you decide on the speakers you are after do a search on here or even www.ecoustics.com and see what you can dig up.you can use ecoustic.com to do a search on the amp and dvd player your ineterested in,and dont forget to let us know how you get on mate ;)

I would like to know also what the frequency response on the receiver is ... I don't think the receiver is too great because the THD on it is almost 1% and oh yeah one other question ... if I want to get 5.1 sound can I connect the dvd players digital opic cable into the receiver and get 5.1 sound output from the 6 channel outputs on the receiver?

freq response and thd are just specs....specs can lie/mislead/ (insert appropriate) and are in general not to be either trusted or relied upon. There is nothing too wrong i guess with the sony as long as you pay the right price.

You are correct about connecting by optical to give 5.1

ad

I just wanted to make sure what the bandwidth on the receiver was ... I think it claims that the bandwidth is like 20hz - 70khz .. in relation to that I would pair it up with a decent set of speakers so that I fall within that range ... thats all I wanted to know ... I've looked at some higher model Sony receivers and the frequecy response on those ones were like 20hz-20khz so I was wondering how this lower model one had a greater bandwidth of 10hz-70khz ... any advce would be nice thx

few other things .. sorry if I'm annoying some people .. I would like to ask what the banana plug is for (sounds funny)? Also, what is the coaxial digital output used for?

The 6 channel input on the amp is more widely used for DVD Audio and Super Audio. The coaxial digutal output does the same job as the optical out. You can connect by one or the other. Banana plugs are a more convenient way of connecting your speakers to your amp. The speaker cable goes into the plug and is held by one or two screws. It's handy if you are going to be moving your system around.

if the coaxial and digital optic output does the same job then why are they there? What distinguishes between the two?

Although they do the same job, coaxial relies on an electrical current to downstream the audio whereas optical does not. Some people claim that there is no audible different when connected with one or the other. Each to their own I suppose. For the record, I have a coaxial cable connected from my DVD player to my amp.

I guess I'll go with digital optic cables then .. since it reduces the burden on the system :)

one last thing ... what is the frequency response on the receiver that I mentioned earlier ... it claims that the bandwidth is 10hz - 70 khz but I am unsure if that is the right range ... plz help thx

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom