A little advice for a newbie

pdot

Standard Member
Hi All,

I wondered if I could get a little bit of advice please.

I want to install a surround sound system in a room roughly 4m * 7m with an option to split the system into 2 so I can have an additional 2 speakers in the garden.

I know I will need outdoor speakers for these and I was hoping to get advice on the amplifier/reciever you would recommend as well as the speakers. I would like to have a 5.1 system in the lounge and 2 in the garden.

The amplifier/reciever will need to have a HDMI input/output which is then going to be split and run over cat5e to another TV in the bedroom.

My budget is roughtly £2000. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Sam Ash

AMPS - Have a look at the Onkyo and Denon range, it would be a good idea to start with the mid-range amps/receivers as they provide decent performance. Onkyo is really good value for money, Denon might cost a bit more but they perform very well. You need to get a taste of both to decide.

SPEAKERS - KEF do really nice speakers, go to a KEF dealer near you and hear them for yourself. Talk to someone who is knowledgeable about the KEF range and technology rather than a salesman. KEF's Uni-Q technology provides excellent sound disbursement. If the indoor system is for cinema too then it makes sense to go for 5.1. If it is for music only then you might get really good results by investing in two floor standing speakers by KEF: The Q Series, Classic Q Series (good looking) and the new R Series are really good speakers. Other speakers to try out are: B&W as well as Tannoy. KEF do outdoor speakers as well just like all the speaker manufacturers.

For distributed music it might also be a good idea to consider SONOS - Wireless Home Music Systems and HiFi Music Players from Sonos - a bit expensive but very good stuff.

It might be a good idea to talk to an experienced installer. I have a friend who runs an automation and home control business - very knowledgeable, honest, skilled and friendly. Let me know if you need his contact details.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sam

Last edited:

pdot

Standard Member
AMPS - Have a look at the Onkyo and Denon range, it would be a good idea to start with the mid-range amps/receivers as they provide decent performance. Onkyo is really good value for money, Denon might cost a bit more but they perform very well. You need to get a taste of both to decide.

SPEAKERS - KEF do really nice speakers, go to a KEF dealer near you and hear them for yourself. Talk to someone who is knowledgeable about the KEF range and technology rather than a salesman. KEF's Uni-Q technology provides excellent sound disbursement. If the indoor system is for cinema too then it makes sense to go for 5.1. If it is for music only then you might get really good results by investing in two floor standing speakers by KEF: The Q Series, Classic Q Series (good looking) and the new R Series are really good speakers. Other speakers to try out are: B&W as well as Tannoy. KEF do outdoor speakers as well just like all the speaker manufacturers.

For distributed music it might also be a good idea to consider SONOS - Wireless Home Music Systems and HiFi Music Players from Sonos - a bit expensive but very good stuff.

It might be a good idea to talk to an experienced installer. I have a friend who runs an automation and home control business - very knowledgeable, honest, skilled and friendly. Let me know if you need his contact details.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the advice.

I've opted out of the SONOS system as the apartment has been completed gutted at the moment so what I can save doing the wiring myself I can put back into the equipment.

The KEF range look good, thank you for that.

In regards to the Recievers, what am i looking for in the descriptions so that I can zone my outside speakers from it?

Am i looking at the 7.1 Recievers such as this?:

DENON UK | AVR-2312

It says in the specs it can zone, is this a self explanitory thing to do?

Thank you for your help already.

p.s if you could pm me your friends number so I can contact him it would be much appreciated.

Paul

Sam Ash

It says in the specs it can zone, is this a self explanitory thing to do?

Setting up and configuring a zone is not complicated as Denon will provide instructions in the manual. However, bear in mind the following:-

1. If you're not using for home cinema, you're paying for allot of features that you don't really need. There are dedicated multi-zone amps designed specifically for distributed music.

2. You must workout a way to control the music in each zone, this is possible but may have limitations that you might not appreciate in the end, so this needs to be addresses now - before you buy any equipment.

p.s if you could pm me your friends number so I can contact him it would be much appreciated.

I will pm you his contact details shortly - he will definitely be able to steer you in the right direction and save you from making costly mistakes.

Cheers,

Sam

pdot

Standard Member
Hi Sam,

The lounge is being set up as the cinema room so the AV can take in the ps3 and SKY HD and push it out to the TV. So the 5.1 surround is what I think I need.

The other zone will be for the garden with 2 speakers on the wall. It doesn't need to have the ability to play anything different to the lounge as it will be a one or the other set up. II just want to be able to switch is on/off at will so I don't irritate the neighbours constantly when watching normal tv.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom