1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A List of Software HD Players for the PC?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rogeralpine, Sep 1, 2004.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently, I have;

VLC - not very good on my setup - UPDATE - v 0.8.0 beta is much better folks. Previously clips that juddered now don't and AC3 pass-thru is easy!!
    Elecard - quite good, judders sometimes
    Windows Mediaplayer 9 (and above v10 beta out) - obviously best with WMHDV Cheers Mr151
    WinDVD6 - not yet tried this properly
    Zoomplayer - needs a fair bit of user input - Cheers Loafer316 Update bysireddie
    WMPClassic - Cheers zAndy1
    BSPLayer - Cheers cwick
    On Air HDTV USB Softwareplayer - Cheers Pietnoeck

What else is out there folks worth giving a go? I'll probably give WinDVD6 a blast - but is there anything else?

I'm still getting problems with no s/pdif passthru on HD stuff. I've got AC3filter installed as well, but all to no avail!!

I'll update this entry with the new players ppl post info on. (I'll add the URL's as well - when I get round to it!)

2. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    add Zoomplayer to that..i personally havn't figured out how to get the best out of it..but it lets you use the installed filters etc from the other players such as windvd and powerdvd or elecard to decode the .ts files or wmhdv

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    I installed media player classic last night and it seemed very good from what I saw, no stuttering and spdif passthrough for everything I played, haven't been able to get spdif passthrough working in Zoomplayer yet!
    Worth giving it a go, I was impressed with it..

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Have had good results with BSPlayer (http://www.bsplayer.org/) in cases where VLC doesn't work - which seems to be more and more frequently :(

5. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used Zoomplayer b4 and although there's a wealth of options, I didn't particularly find that it had a user friendly interface.

I'm d/l MPC as we speak Andy - let's see how it goes.

Will have a look at bsplayer next cwick

Cheers

Anymore??

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    cwick,

I downloaded BSPlayer and can get individual files to play, but not a whole movie. You can't seem to select all files and then open like you do with most players like zoom player etc.
    Am I missing something ?

Jeff :rtfm:

7. MR151

MR151

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For .ts/tp files, I've tried 4-5 and find that WMP Classic is the easiest to use(for me) and IMO, has the best sound.

Btw, I haven't dl it yet, but the official release version of WMP 10 is out now. Try it out and tell us if it can play .ts files.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/default.aspx

8. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    User Update:

VLC seems to have the best controls (those that work) of those players I’ve used and the easiest Audio options to get AC3 out, but now I’ve had chance to sit down to watch some HD stuff, I find the “judders” are too noticeable and therefore my search for a decent player continues. Interestingly I played Sinbad and that didn’t appear to suffer with “judders” – Bourne Identity on the other hand appeared to suffer greatly, the reason for this I’m not certain – film against toon? I don’t know!.

BSPlayer and Elecard players both appear to have better playback than VLC, but I can’t select any options to get AC3 out. Has anyone had any success with these 2? If I can get AC3 out, I will sit down and thoroughly test some HD stuff and see how they compare.

MediaPlayerClassic – as Andy says above, this appears to be the best of the bunch so far, and playback seems to be “judderless” AC3 out I can get to work, but I have to ensure I run AC3filter 1st. If I mess around with any of the sound settings, I lose AC3 and it all goes to pot. The only downside to this program appears to be it’s inability to allow the user to pause, fast forward/rewind or select any point in the film. If I try any of these options, the film freezes and I can’t get it to play again without restarting. Anyone had similar probs with this program?

WinDVD6 – I understand it’ll accept “ts” files and play them, but you have to rename them as a “tsp” file. Have yet to give this a try – has anyone got any comments on this program?

Not ventured into Zoomplayer testing – didn’t have much luck b4, that was on a different PC, may give this a go.

I have seen mentioned a need to possibly remove Fast Writes – you do this at boot up yes? Can someone just point me in the right direction? Also, I need to check whether my graphics card is set to AGPx8 – again, where is this checked/altered?

Is there anything else worth mentioning that a user should look to change their PC settings in order to get the most out of it when playing back HiDef stuff?

9. quig

quig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you turned the deinterlacing on? This would explain why 720p material doesn't suffer as 1080i does.

However, VLC seems to be the only player that will do this, so material that won't play in VLC unfortunately can't be deinterlaced in players that will.

10. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh - sounds good!! I've booted up VLC - can you point me to the option - all I can find under the main headings for Video is a Deinterlace menu that has selections for one of the following,

Disable
    Blend
    Bob
    Discard
    Linear
    and Mean.

And then under the preferences menu - selecting the Video option, I've ticked the video deinterlacing filter to being on, I've yet to see if that resolves the problem, but I'll have to wait until I put my PJ on later to check it out properly.

Welcome to the forums btw!!

11. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Oops. Missed that. I just use the playlist (right-click to bring up the context menu), and just drag files in from an explorer window.

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I found VLC to b too juddery regardless of settings.

I dl'd MPC last night and stil find things juddery even with reclock.
    However its not all that simple.

Charlies Angels 2 (1080i .ts) plays silky smooth . On bob it looks fine ( apart from the bob artifacts) on weave it looks as if MPC can't deal with 3:2 pulldown as you see the "hairy" pulldown frames. If I play other 1080i material on it (ROTK 1080i) it judders regardless of the deinterlace .720p on the other hand seems to play with only small judders ( more like 3:2 pulldown judder which is acceptable).

Looking at the stats I'm getting 0 dropped frames so the judder is either down to a bad encode , a cadence muck up on the original material ( same thing probably) , or the fact I'm running at 56Hz into a sony HS20 which wouldn't explain why NTSC dvds are way smoother and Charlies Angels plays just dandy.

I'm hoping that when Theatertek 2 comes out it will solve a lot of these problems ( at least play 1080i as smoothly as it plays 480i)

13. pietnoeck

pietnoeck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Thanks for the link.
    I've just tried this player and it seems quite good.
    Only tried it on a few clips and it got rid of the stuttering for me.

15. sireddie

sireddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a tip:

If you have jidder probs playing Hi-def material, try using Zoomplayer and change "Player Thread Priority" in "Advanced Options -> Values & Tools -> Other" to "Above Normal".

This has made it possible for me to play almost all content (even 1080i) whithout dropped frames on my AMDXP 1800+/768 PC2100/GeForce3 Ti200.

Before I tried this I hade pretty jiddery playback on a few clips, but now these play just fine.

Note that your computer will seem slower/less responsive when using this option. This is because of ZP will have higher priorety than the rest of your programs/processes running (at least most of them).

16. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good tip - I've yet to give Zp another go.

VLC new beta 0.8.0 is out and I can confirm it plays MUCH better that release 0.7.x. Well worth giving it a go if you had trouble before.