A liitle assistance with the differences between DVD-A / SACD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ResB, Apr 17, 2004.

1. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a few SACD's in my collection but do not have an SACD player. However, I was looking at purchasing the Pioneer 868AVi so that I could use both HDMI and SACD in one go.

However, I have come across the Arcam DV79 which is DVD-A and HDMI compatible and I absolutely love the look of the Arcam styling even more so than the Cornflake Box AKA the DV-868AVi. :)

Can someone expalin the differences detween SACD and DVD-A. Which is considered the better option?

Are there any reviews of the DV79 anywhere on the internet.

Many thanks,

;)

2. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, SACD and DVD-Audio differ basicly in sampling frequency and word bit length. a detailed description of both formats may be found for instance at DVD FAQ. you will find people preferring one over another. SACD started earlier and there's, I think, twice as much SACD than DVD-A titles available.

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    There are no reviews on the net yet - however you can read a very detailed evaluation of the DV79 in AVTech magazine, which is bundled with May's Hi Fi News. This is the current edition so AFAIK it is on the shelves at W H Smith, Borders etc.

The DV79 will play the red book (CD) layer of hybrid SACDs to a very high standard BTW.

I have written a piece from Arcam's point of view on DVD-A vs SACD, the link to which can be found at http://www.arcam.co.uk/news/index.cfm#49
    It probably needs a little bit of updating, not least because we now have the DV79, but the basic principals are unchanged.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    John,

Do you still feel the same way about DVD-A winning the format war or do you think both will survive (or neither). It seems to me that DVD-A is struggling with the hybrid problem and frankly, a flipper disk will add more complications to an already complicated format.

I think somebody needs to seriously sort it out so that ALL dvd-a disks play either the 2 channel or 5.1 (as specified by the player setup ala. SACD) when loaded up. None of this turning on the telly rubbish. my wife simply doesn't listen to any DVD-A disks (apart from Rumours which performs in a sensible way) as it's too complicated. Sure, put the other stuff on there for those that want to dig for it but we need some kind of standard.

If I want to listen to a SACD I put it in and press play, just like a CD but better. If I want to swith between 2ch/multi/cd layers I push a button on the front of the player. The case is a sensible size so I can bung DSOTM in the car for a long journey.

I personally feel that SACD has a foothold and there is little reason why any new albums should go straight to hybrid as your standard customer would not know the difference.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see DVD-A survive and I continue to buy them but if I had to choose a single use player, I would choose SACD and I can't be the only one.

I also understand your companies position with regard to the costs and obstacles in the way of producing a good universal player but I feel that SACD is not going to go away and wonder if at some point it will have to figure in your plans.

5. ResB

ResB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    jurass - Thanks for the simple, informative and yet to the point reply.

John - I picked up a copy of HiFi News at Tesco tonight. :) I've read the Feature Review and although Paul Miller gives a good overview of the DV79 in fact he say's "For the ultimate in DVD-Sourced digital video and in multi-channel DVD-Audio, Arcam's DV79 raises the bar to a new and record height" it leaves me with a bit of a conundrum. Paul compares the DV79 to the DV-868AVi but unfortunately doesn't really go far enough or make any sort of like for like comparison which would have been very helpful in my case, which wasn't the point of the review I know. Only further reviews are likely to make that comparison and there are sure to be many more in the not too distant future, so lift that NDA without delay. ;)

So, I guess I just need to know when the DV79 going to be available in the mainstream and audition the unit as soon as possible. :)

SACD is obviously already more mainstream than DVD-A at the moment and hope this doesn't turn into the old VHS/Betamax and DVD+/DVD- debacle. :)

Stereo Steve - I think I agree. :)

6. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very interested to read that piece, but there is no longer a link to it at the address given. Is there some way to re-establish this link?

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  8. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0