A Level results - Anyone else waiting for tomorrow or know what to do if not as expected

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MSW, Aug 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Is anyone else nervous for tomorrow

We are waiting on 3 A Level results in Maths, Law and Physics

Our child needs 3 ‘A’ grades in order to meet the conditional offer from university. It’s a 4 year course in Maths and Computer Scicence at Leeds University

Whilst they are confident of an ‘A’ grade in Maths and Law they are certain they have flunked Physics and expect a grade C.

As a result need to think about

Take a year out and resit
    Don’t bother and just get a job

Tricky really as, due to clear and foolish over confidence a second university was not indicated on the preference form (or, if it was there was never any intent to go anywhere other than first choice)

Is anyone else waiting for tomorrow or, been in similar situation.

Mark

2. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,307
    Not considering going through 'clearing'?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I’ll look at what that is / how to do it

Thanks a lot

4. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,307
    Basically they try to match you up with Universities/courses that will accept the grades that the child has achieved.

Worth doing some prior research now, for a list of alternate Universities (if necessary) that your child might be happy to study at (and a course they're interested in). Better to be armed with a list tomorrow (if necessary) so they're not making decisions in a panic, not knowing much about the Uni/course that is being offered to them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Si01327

Si01327

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    If there was a specific reason that they wanted to attend Leeds then it's either take 12 months to resit and go through it again or consider another course at that Uni.

If the former option is chosen, and the reason they wanted Leeds was due to friends attending as well then bear in mind those friends will be a year ahead of them if they get through next year.

Personally I'd look at alternative Uni's, unless the reason they only put Leeds down rules out this option. As has already been said, get some choices lined up now and be prepared to spend a lot of time of the phone tomorrow if things haven't gone to plan!

On the other hand they may not have done as badly as they think!! :)

6. ajdj1

ajdj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    If they aren’t what is expected do make sure you have a conversation with Leeds admissions first to see if they can still accept them. Quite often there is some flexibility.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. rancidpunk

rancidpunk
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,964
    This would have been my suggestion. Look into it now at alternatives but also don't immediately think his original choice will definitely reject them.

8. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Thanks everyone, I have looked into clearing and it looks a nightmare / rush / frantic experience and, sadly, for the child in question going to a different uni is not really a viable option.

Of course that leaves the option of a different course but in, again not really an option as what’s the point in doing a different corse just to go to uni - if your not good enough then your not good enough

So, subject to results of course, quick call to admissions to see if acceptance is still possible (This really was a helpful piece of advice)

Cheers
    Mark

9. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,486
    Wow those are tough grades to get into Leeds, especially now that they have changed the format of A Levels.

If you fall short then

1) see if they will still accept you - they might
    2) second choice or clearing - but my advice would be - you are goung to be paying at least £27k for this so don’t simply accept something that you don’t really want because it is on the only thing on offer
    3) wait another year - and at the same tim look into degree apprenticeships - would probably only start in sept 2019 but might tak you on as an intern before then, and then you work and do a degree, and you get paid a little and your degree is paid for

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  10. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Thank you, I have no experience of universities but 3 A’s seemed tough to me.

I agree entirely that there is no point doing a second best.

All eggs are in the basket of hoping the uni will stuff agree the conditional offer without 3 A’s

Otherwise resit in one years time

Cheers
    Mark

11. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,486

Best of luck, fingers crossed for tomorrow. The universities may find themselves caught out because tomorrow is the first of the new spec (or back to the old days) where you have to do two years of study and then all the exams at once. I think Maths and English haven’t transitioned over yet but most if not all have. In the past years suggestions have been that being able to take (and retake) your exams in modules over a two year period has driven grades up. So it will be interestuing to see what happens tomorrow - some are predicting that grades will down overall. But if universities are still making offers on the performance of the past specifications then they be caught out and undersubscribed.

If you do have to resit then look into apprenticeship degrees. My son achieved high A Levels but went into a tough course he didn’t like plus he lacked the self-discipline so messed it up. He finished with a poor result but was given the opportunity to complete his course work and his mark has just been regraded as a lower second - not great but much better than what he had. But last November he applied to a local defence engineering company and there was some confusion as initially they thought he didn’t have a degree. They offered him a degree apprenticeship at £18k a year, which included time out to do a fully paid for degree at Reading University. So not only getting a debt-free degree but getting paid too. After a few weeks of confusion they realised that he did have a degree and put him on the graduate entry at £27.5k.

I’m telling the story because I didn’t realise how good apprenticeship degrees are - wish he’d been offered that five years ago.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Thanks Nigel, the bit about apprenticeship degrees is very useful to know indeed.

Part of the problem (maybe I am putting obstacles in the way) but, right here right now I doubt very much our child would get past any interview (total lack of life skills, general communication and conversation skills as well would kill progression). Perversely, following a couple of years at somewhere like a Uni (regardless of outcome) I’d expect him to be able to navigate a F2F interview and have some chance of progression.

Thank you again
    Mark

13. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,667
    I would certainly look at clearing if tomorrow's result isn't as hoped. I did exactly that in 1990 - failed to meet two conditional offers from London medical schools, still ended up at a top place, UCL, on a different course, biochemical engineering. My heart really wasn't in medicine, and I was a bit too dossy (hence the grades!), so was happy with the change in direction, still in applied life sciences.

After the results on the Thursday morning, and frantic phone calls, I think I was enrolled on the new course by the following Monday or Tuesday (F2F interview on the Friday iirc).

Best of luck to your son! :thumbsup:

EDIT ... of course, those were different times - full grant, no fees

14. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,307
    Sounds like that was a lucky escape for US! :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    Without wishing to pry or make assumptions, why is Leeds the only choice?

My daughter will find out tomorrow if she's got the grades for her chosen course, but she also has an alternative lined up at another university.

Our only complication is that she's on holiday in Paris at the moment, so has got to call the school for her results. If she can't get her first choice, there will be some phone calls and a trip to the other end of the country on Saturday!!

16. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,307
    A friend at work mentioned something to me yesterday about UCAS sending texts or emails at 8am tomorrow morning to all people who did/didn’t get their choice of university (I can’t remember the exact specifics), so her daughter would know whether she’d got her required grades before she actually finds out her specific grades from her school.
    I assume this will be the same for everyone else?

17. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    Yes it's quite common for the university to contact pupils before they get their results.

There's loads of spare spaces this year as the cap on places has been lifted and it's a low intake year.

18. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Leeds is really due to cost (we live within travel distance) and confidence but, primarily cost.

It’s a bit weird in so far as we only qualify for a grant of £3,600 per year (in addition to course fees) so, the cost factor of having to pay circa 8K to 10K per annum on accommodation, plus additional costs is quite prohibitive.

That said, the confidence, personality, general awkwardness in social situations and life skills of our child would really need a drastic improvement to enable a successful residential outcome. As an example, since finishing school circa end June he literally (And I do mean literally) has not left the house (amazing to me but, I’m quite old and from the age that every waking moment outside of school was spent on a pedal bike or kicking a football around a field)

Unfortunately I was not allowed to to take the day off work today but at the earliest opportunity, if necessary I will make calls to clearing and Leeds admissions. I would guess it’s not on a first come service and there is say a window of a week for everyone to register an interest rather than a first come first served basis

Thanks to all and less then 2 hours to go and good luck noiseboy72

Mark

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  19. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    I thought it might have been something like that. We have a neighbour with a similar son, who is very bright but doesn't have the social skills to cope with independent living just yet. There's no point going to university if you're not going to enjoy it, so he's trying to get a job- which will hopefully get him mixing with a wider group of people.

There's more than 1 university in Leeds and some FE colleges also offer degree level courses. As these tend to be smaller, they may be a better fit.

Just remember to factor in travel costs, as it's not just lectures they need to get to, but also study sessions and workshops. This can mean multiple trips on the same day.

All the best and fingers crossed!!

20. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,888
    Daughter got in!! Grade boundaries have dropped and there's also 30000 places available in clearing so most people are getting the courses they wanted.

21. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Very well done indeed. Sadly not the same for us

Maths was grade : A
    Law was grade : A
    Physics was grade : C

Leeds uni withdrew the offer of Maths and Computer Science but did offer a course in Physics

Child has decided just to get a job. They hate Physics anyway and left with no option due to foolishness with not stating a second uni, and not being able to afford accommodation

Anyway, very well done and congrats to your daughter

Mark

22. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,688
    Thats madness! He didn't get into the maths course when he has an A in maths but is offered a physics course when he got a C in physics. This doesn't make any sense to me.

ps. I would still give them a call and push for the maths course.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  23. NeverEden

NeverEden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,567
    Would definitely attempt clearing and not dismiss entering into another Uni. AAC are a very respectable set of grades with a large window of opportunity open. Well done to him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  24. ajdj1

ajdj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I agree, those are still fantastic grades and it doesn’t make any sense to be offered a physics place but not a maths one.

However, I think it’s absolutely the right choice not to do physics if he doesn’t enjoy it. A 4 year degree is a big commitment and he needs enjoy what he’s doing.

Does he have a career in mind based on doing the maths and computer science course? Is there an alternative course that would fit this career path?

Have you considered an alternative university that might offer gifted students additional bursaries that may assist with his accommodation costs? Obviously we don’t know your son but from how you’ve described him it might actually be the making of him to move out during term time to improve his social skills.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  25. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Thanks to everyone

It does appear odd to offer Physics as a course but, I guess they know what they are doing

When I get home I will get more information on clearing etc and I do agree that a being resident at a uni would be a good idea

He wants to be an Aeronautical Engineer. Thing is, I can see why a strong physics grade versus say “Law” would help. He was a bit hampered with his A level choice versus what the school offered (Hi did look at a college instead for A levels of choice but decided he preferred the school environment)

As you say, all very good grades but ultimately not good enough.

I think a year out working and studying for a physics resit or a uni that requires accommodation are best option. Both should provide greater exposure to the social side of the world

Thanks again to all who posted

Mark

26. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,307
    Basically comes down to them wanting to fill a space on their Physics course, and he has good enough grades to be accepted onto the Physics course. You shouldn't draw any further conclusions than that as to whether it's suitable or sensible to offer the Physics course.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  27. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,486
    The irony - we’re rejecting you because you excelled in the subject you want to take up but not good enough at Physics. Sorry about that, but we can offer you a degree in Physics? How bizarre?

Cheers,

Nigel

28. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,486
    What, proper Aeronautical Engineering or writing software for the aerospace industry?

If the former he would struggle in the job market up against graduates with Aeronautical Engineering degrees.

Obviously don’t push him too hard, but if he is going to redo Physics at college, see if the they will let him cram Further Maths into a single year - some colleges do.

How is he going to address his Physics, try and handle the resit himself or go back to college. There is a big gap between a C and an A, I’m thinking whether he knows where his weaknesses are and how to address them or whether he would benefit from tuition.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  29. kez

kez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Shame he didn't get the grades.

I did Maths and Computer Science at Leeds Uni and had a great time (I'm still in Leeds 20 years later) - it was a really good course.

30. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,307
    Won't they let you graduate? :p;)