• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question A KEF LS50 problem - which amplifier to upgrade to?

Jables88

Novice Member
Yo!

I have the KEF LS50 speakers set up with an Audio M DAC Plus and Cambridge CXA 80.

My problem is the Cambridge amplifier is too bright for my listening tastes even with the treble rolled off and also seems to lack the power to properly control the LS50s at loud volumes.

Electronic music sounds incredible but classic rock is almost unbearably harsh across certain frequencies!

I have done a lot of research and have found the Nuprime IDA-8:

This seems perfect as it fits the following critera:

- 100W power..should be able to control these difficult to drive speakers better
- Sub Out
- Apparently is on the warm side and has an excellent soundstage

Does anyone on here own this amplififer and use it with the KEFs? If so what are your opinions?

Or would I bet better with an Emotiva 150W separate pre and power amplifier?

My budget is between £800 and £1000

Thanks in advance,

James

Violator

Prominent Member
How many Kefs are you powering? Are you running a sub? What volumes do you tend to listen at and what material?

The LS50s do like a decent bit of steady juice. That said, if you're not being particularly demanding on them the issue may be something else.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom