A.i.

Tequila Sunset

already out in europe apparantly.

A.I. Blu-ray Beckons from Europe and Asia (Update)

Video is 1080p 1.85:1. As to audio, there is a 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio English track, plus several other languages in Dolby Digital.

Special features include:
Documentary on bringing A.I. to the screen
Interviews with Steven Spielberg, Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law
Behind-the-scenes featurettes on the making of A.I.
Interview with sound designer Gary Rydstrom at Skywalker Ranch
Visit to Stan Winston Studios with early "Teddy" footage
Interviews with Lucasfilm's ILM special effects group
Trailers, storyboards, drawings, and hundreds of photos

Drexl

Looks good - any reviews of this about? Will be adding to my 'To Pre-order' list!

Doctor Hades

There's a lot of hate for this movie and I've personally never understood it. I found it incredibly moving, especially as the robots show more humanity than the actual people, and the performance from Haley Joel Osment is outstanding. The ending always brings a tear to my eye (and what about poor old Ted?). It's definitely a movie I'd buy again on BD in a snap as soon as it is released over here or in the US (if region-free).

There's a lot of hate for this movie and I've personally never understood it. I found it incredibly moving, especially as the robots show more humanity than the actual people, and the performance from Haley Joel Osment is outstanding. The ending always brings a tear to my eye (and what about poor old Ted?). It's definitely a movie I'd buy again on BD in a snap as soon as it is released over here or in the US (if region-free).
A.I. is certainly a very divisive film and one that I believe has largely been misunderstood. People came to the film with certain pre-conceptions about Spielberg and how he apparently bastardised Kubrick's vision. This is both a misunderstanding of what the film is attempting to do and factually wrong. A.I. is not without problems. Unlike many people I don't have a problem with the last section of the film which I find it's most fascinating part. I do think the middle drags slightly and there is something twee about how Spielberg treats Jude Law's Robo-rentboy, showing just how uncomfortably Spielberg appears around issues dealing with issues of sexuality.

That said, A.I. is the rare big budget science fiction film that genuinely deals with serious ideas based around the ethics of technology and science and it's a hugely ambitious film, so I can forgive its few failings. It's more of a mega-bucks arthouse film than a popcorn blockbuster and it's not nearly as sentimental as people have accused it to be. The ending is not as happy as many people claim it to be and the film is emotionally complex in a way that reminds me more of David Lynch than of the Spielberg who made ET.

For me this was a return to form for Spielberg and also a progression in his career and I think it ushered in a new decade of films which is almost as interesting as his work of the 70s and early 80s.

The Limey

My copy is currently in transit from Bengans.se.
Looking forward to viewing this in 1080p shortly.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Saw this at the ziegfeld theatre in new york on release and remember blubbing like a child - mainly at Teddy:blush: Definitely be picking this one up. It does get harsh criticism, but spielberg is at his manipulative best with this one (in my opinion).

bosque

AI is not one of Spielberg's sentimental movies, the ending is actually pretty harsh, unsentimental but also very moving. It's probably his best movie. I saw it a week after the attacks on the Twin Towers and it made the New York scenes seem almost unwatchably, unnervingly prescient, seen it many times since and although it has inevitably lost that initial impact it is still a terrific experience. The caps from the Blu-Ray on AVS look very good.

mckee74

Teddy: "Don't drop me David, I'll break".

That probably isn't a direct quote, it's been a while since I've seen it, but that line turned me into a four year old girl with a skinned knee.

Can't wait for this.

Chownie

This is one of my favourite movies of all time. I blubber like a baby. Love teddy! And the bit with his mother at the end and Teddy sits on the bed, I just lose it everytime as makes me think of my dad :-(

Drexl

Looks like another xmas treat for myself!

Comes out at 32 Euros total then?

Last edited:

The Limey

Looks like another xmas treat for myself!

Comes out at 32 Euros total then?
Yes 18 Euros for the BD and around 14 Euros for the P+P.
£27 all in.

Indiana Jones

Just noticed this is on Amazon.fr for about £12.30 so have ordered it and Demolition Man and it came to about £29 delivered.

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Anyone been able to get confirmation that the US release of A.I. is region ABC (free)?

I'd like to pre-order from MovieTyme but I can't find any confirmation that it's region free !?
You're going to have to wait and as you were told over on BD.com, tread carefully, as this could be region locked.

Dreamworks do not distibute their own titles, Paramount do.
Paramount locked Minority Report, they could well do the same here.
They only hold the US rights.

LanceR

I prefer this artwork and case the german version.

Trending threads

Latest news

Samsung and LG squabble over QLED definition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
2019 Emmy wins for Sky TV shows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil