A Holo view, my take on the world.

Discussion in 'Photo Sharing' started by Holowlegs, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hello there all and one.

Thought it was about time I had some sort off album on here, but I want to do an album a bit different.

Most of you know me for my duck and swan pictures, but now and again I do do other stuff. Not to say that ducks and swan may not appear here, not sure myself what I am going to post here.

Basically what I will do here is post past pictures randomly , now and again. A sort of looking back, pictures I enjoy looking back at, a sort of my own favourite pictures that I have taken. Lot of these you may of seen, and some maybe not.

I am not going to put up the technically brilliant, if I have ever taken any:rolleyes:, its going to be more about pictures that I have enjoyed taking.

To help me pick the pictures I have been using the random button on flickriver.

Less off my mumbo jumbo and lets get on with my take on the world.

The 1st one, is from the Guildford meet. When it came up it brought a smile to my face. Looking back now its not a very good picture technically, I think. I was going to re process it, but thought better, it felt like cheating.

But to me the picture is all about the subject, and a few of you were there that day.

[​IMG]

On Black

| f/18 | 30 mm | 1/25 | ISO 400 |

Before I tell the story about this let me thank the Guildford 4 or was it 5:confused: for a great day out, and all that turned up.

I could go back to the Guildford post and copy and post what I wrote then, but going to do this from memory.:confused:

We had all agreed to me at a cafe at a certain time. Well had my food, and me being a smoker decided to have a puff outside.

This fellow was outside having a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea, I got chatting with him as you do.

I told what I was up to in Guildford, going around with a bunch of strangers taking pictures.

I think he was from Liverpool, but have been down here years. He had worked for London Transport for about 20 years.

The bike was his pride and joy, he told me he had been to Manchester and back on it.:eek:

Funny thing was he kept his helmet on all the time. He found it strange that I wanted to take his picture, and asked was I going to put it on some sort of naughty website:D. Also wanted one with him and the bike, thing is the bike was parked the other way round and this is the side I wanted to capture as it had more tape on it. But he insisted that I caught its good side.:D and moved the bike.

Looking back now the bloke was great, wish I could meet more like this.

Another thing I remember, when I was taking his portrait, two members of this forum ( you know who you are) were making faces at me through the window of the cafe behind the man back, making me laugh:D

Well if you got this far thanks for staying.:smashin:

If you wish to read more about the Guildford meet its here

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

2. Paulie-W

Paulie-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493
    Good start Frank.

Looks to become an interesting read :smashin:

3. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    I didn't know that London Transport did pizza delivery. I bet it got cold by the time he reached Guildford. ;)

4. tonkie

tonkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Is that your washing in the black bag, or your worldly goods

edit. just realized what I wrote, you are at the other end of the camera

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I remember that bloke.......I like it, though I do think you should re-process it just to see the difference in style preference from then to now.

6. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    He was an interesting one waan't he!

7. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Thanks all for the comments

Did Think about it Steve, but I am so far behind in my PPing at the moment.

Also the idea about this thread is the idea's at the time, if I remember, and is a bit about me and what tickles my fancy.

Next from me is one from Turkey, from the hotel Turkish night.

I have started on a bottle of Rioja so memory may fell me, and as before not going to look at past posts.

Once you have been to one of these Turkish nights you have been to them all. But my little Ellie loves this sort of thing, so for her we go.

After the belly dancer these other dancers performed. One thing the lighting was terrible, and looking back surprised I have managed to hold the lens steady at 1/125, especially seeing I had had a couple.

This lady had such an intense look knew I had to capture her.

As for the processing, this may sound a little big head of me but as soon as they started I knew what I wanted to do with these as soon as I got back home.

Was always going to black out the background and the skin tones I actually got the idea from some pictures I had seen from Bristol Pete, the ones he had done of the American footballers.

Hope Pete don't mind me linking to one of his pictures.

One of Pete's pictures

I also wrote a tutorial on how I done the effect. Here

Also if you wish there more of the same here

Looking back at the picture now, I still like it, but have never had it printed, may get an A4 of this.

Well less of my ranberlings.

Till next time .

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    A great retrospective blog and I was telling Simon and Kev how much you have come on as a photographer in the last 18 months mate.:thumbsup:

9. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    and that, Frank, is an absolute belter. the processing is 1st class.

one of the best portraits i've seen on here.

10. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Stop now you two making me blush.:blush:

A retrospective blog. I like that, in my retrospective blog:devil: I suppose I am sharing my experience from the past.

You are partly to blame for that, learnt so much from you that morning in Bristol, thanks for that. Keep them pictues coming so I can nick more of your idea's:devil:

Hopefully I push on a bit more, still got a long way to go.

Wow thanks for that, but there has been some great stuff on here.

It is one of them pictures I am proud of, because at the time I knew what I was doing and going to do, and it actually worked.

Anyway cheers for the great comments, and thanks all for stopping by and reading, hopefully more to come.

11. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Yep that Guildford meet was really a lot of fun. I agree with Pete that you've been taking some cracking pics recently and your ambition has really increased. It shows in the variety of pics you are getting.

12. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Thanks a lot for that Andy.

Next one from me is this little fellow.

This was taken on a little family break in North Devon. A place called Combe Martin wildlife & dinosaur park

Ellie loves this place, so if we go down there for the week she always asks to go here.

I notice this little Wallaby poking out of his mother's pouch.

Have always been fond of B&W photography. Its not often you see many animal pictures in B&W. But in my opinion I think with the right picture it can work well.

Another important thing with wildlife portraits like the one above I feel is the eyes, and I really like the way I have caught the eyes here, feel they draw you into the picture.

Suppose in the end I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time:cool:

Thanks for all the comments all, and thank for baring with on this.

13. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hello there

Been meaning to post another picture in here, but been so dam busy.

Anyway lets post another, this one you are most probably getting bored of by now you have seen it that many times, but I feel a thread containing my personal fav's of my own picture should contain this picture.

[​IMG]

| f/5.6 | 300 mm | 1/500 | ISO 200 |

First off the tech stuff. This was taken with the 400d and the Sigma 70 - 300mm Apo. What I did was put the lens into macro mode so I could get closer focusing.

Don't ask me how but I sort of knew what sort of composition I wanted, had used this method on swans, but this was the first time I had tried it on a duck, it took me about 8 - 10 shots to really get what I was after.

Sometimes I get these ideas about showing these animals in a different way and mess about with different compositions, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Its one of them shots I really like.

Update on the Turchish dancer one, got an A3 print back and wow looks very nice in print, next that will be on order is the little Wallaby. Am keeping a little portfolio going now of the pictures I am posting here in this thread.

Anyway cheers for looking Holo:smashin::smashin:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  14. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hello there

Another of my personal fav's. This time a landscape. The thing I find with landscapes is its a completely different way of working than say shooting wildlife.

You have so much time to think, I think is half the problem. Normally I am watching observing waiting for something to happen, always on guard.

With landscape you get to the location and you have to do all the work, and set the shot up. I think this is were I struggle, I don't really think I have the eye for it.

Anyway this picture was taken one Sunday when Ellie and me took a little trip up to Denham Lock. If you know the area its the bridge up from the lock if you are heading away from Uxbridge.

The reason I took it was the camera club competition theme at the time was water. Funny thing is this picture got no where and another of my pictures won it. But that's another story.

[​IMG]

| f/18 | 17 mm | ISO 100 |

As soon as I looked at the shot I thought B&W.

Normally I take 3 exposures with this type of shot with the idea of either HDR or blending in Photoshop. This one I blended in photoshop. So the sky, canal and the tree's are different exposures. Also do selective level, curves and sharpening, must of had about 20 layers in the end.

Some people may say this is over cooking a picture, but the PP side of it has never bothered me, I can sit at the PC all night and pp away.

If you wish to view the picture I have posted so far in this thread, here is a slideshow

Thank all for looking.

15. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the date the thread was started....Its a testement to how little im here these days:eek:.

I must miss loads.

Id just like to say I really enjoyed reading this great thread Holo.

Some great pics and super write up.:thumbsup:

16. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hello there

Its me again.

Thanks a lot Alex, I think I have got this right, you got into photography just before me. We both branch off into different area's of photography, and although the sort of picture you take are nothing like the sort of work I do, I have always been a big fan, and am amazed how far you have come, you really have got that style, which is your own. Always look forward to your post, and hopefully you will post more here.:smashin:

Some off the pping you do is top notch, but that isn't the whole sum of it, you need a picture to go with it. What I feel some people miss in your pictures is the composition, only got to look at the last post of yours inside that old church or was it a castle:confused: top stuff.

While we are on the subject off PPing, have been known to dabble a bit myself also have been known to take the odd one or two duck shots:devil:

Now again have been known to mix the both, some work some don't.

This is one that works well for me, and the water droplet just made it for me.

Another thing that I really work on here was the eyes and the beak, just thought that black just really stood out.

Have updated the sideshow, if you wish to have a look.

That's it from me folks, till next time.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  17. AVTEZ59

AVTEZ59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Stunning shot Holo....this is special.:thumbsup:

Terry

18. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,912
    That is brilliant, like you say that water drop makes it! :clap::clap:

19. jay mc

jay mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Now thats a stunning shot:smashin:

20. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Thats bloody Awesome :thumbsup:

21. IAN P

IAN P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,042
    Great thread,i like the bird pics as you know,but that Wallaby shot is pretty special.:thumbsup:

Definitely should be entered into a comp.

22. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Stunning shot - pure magic. If it were mine I'd have it printed and framed.

John

23. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hello there

Thanks a lot all for the great comments.:thumbsup:

Next shot that the random button throw up was a family shot. I do get ask no and again to take pictures of family or friends, mostly kids. Never been really comfortable with this, as most of the time it seem to staged and it doesn't seemed to suit me.

On the other hand, like this next photo, I do like taking candid unset up shots.

A bit off family personal history. I am the oldest of three, with two younger sisters. My oldest sister died of cancer 9 years ago, leaving behind my brother in law and a 11 month year old girl.

I have remained very very good friends with my brother in law, and he has done a brilliant job off bringing up my niece.

He did meet another woman and they had a baby, last year. They have now moved to Brighton. The wife, Ellie, my mum and me stayed the weekend down there a few months ago. We all had a great time.

This is Louie, who I class as my nephew, and to him I am uncle Frank.

I have had a couple of wines by now and it was all a very relaxed atmosphere.

Louie was playing away on the floor and I was lying on the floor hoping to catch a few shots of him. This is one I got.

Technically wise I don't think its a brilliant picture. But this isn't what this thread is about, its about my personal favourite pictures and this pictures brings a smile to my face and reminds me of a good weekend.

Not the best of light, so used flash and under exposed to compensate for the flash.

Have updated the sideshow.

Have had the A3 print of the Wallaby and very happy with it, the portfolio is growing.

That's it from me folks.

24. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hello there

Birds in flight, not easy is it. Me personally think a lot off it has to do with luck. Yer there is a skill there as well, but sometimes these things more so fast.:rolleyes:you have to be super quick.

Posted a hoving falcon the other day on another forum and one of the replays was that there wasn't a lot of detail in the dark areas and that I should of spot metered of the bird:eek: when I get comments like this I don't even bother to answer back.:lease:

Another comment I got once was about clipping of wings, this I replied was a due to a lack of skill:rolleyes: Problem I got sometimes I have got this habit that I try to get so close to the subject, in the end I can't fit it all in:D

Another thing I get asked about is the different PPing I used, especially if I use B&W. I may be wrong here but there seems to be two camps in the shooting of birds, 1st ones want to make everything as natural looking as possible. Now I haven't got a problem with this sometimes I do strife this my self , but I do feel that sometimes I fall in the 2nd camp and likes to experiment in PPing. That is a bit like a landscaper who uses filters or photoshop to merge an image of different exposes, or HDR the list can go on.

Quite often as some of you may know I like to do the odd animal picture in B&W. Sometimes I may push this further, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

This is what the random button brought up next.

Its got clipped wings, its unnatural looking and I have done a bit of PPing on it, then there's the crop.

Still I like it.

Not sure if anyone looks at it but have updated the Slideshow

If you have got this far cheers for reading, till next time.

25. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,632

Me too :smashin:

26. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hello there

Its that time again and the random button has come up with this image that was taken at the meet we had this year at Richmond park. A very enjoyable meet it was too.

If you never been on one of these, I can't recommend them enough. Although my mates do think I am a bit nuts meeting a bunch of stranger at 7.30 am in a park. :D

But I always try and take away with me as much as I can in these meets, but what always amazes, there is always this worry that people are going to come back with the same pictures. But its great seeing peoples different take on the same thing.

Not going to name names here but have also met some great people on these meets who I look forward to meeting again.

Anyway was going to talk about deer but will leave that for another post.:rolleyes:

Here is a close up of a deer in Richmond park. Linked to larger.

[​IMG]

Well have updated the slideshow if anyone wishes to have a look.

PS

Also thanks all for putting up with me, think I may off had a few too many on on the odd occasion:p, my smoking:smoke:, the odd swear word:censored:, talking to a stranger for to long:zonked:, toothache:(, black coffee with two sugars:smashin:, big camera bag:rolleyes:, taking too long over a picture:lease:, needing to find a toilet quick :oops:and disagreeing which is the better picture:suicide:, forgetting were the cafe is:confused: having birds poo on me:eek:

its been fun.:thumbsup:

27. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hello there

As some off you may off notice I haven't been around a lot lately. Been a beit busy , first off had a weeks holiday in Turkey.

When I got back was asked to go to Manchester to help the northern branch out in a job they were having trouble with. Worked all the hours under the sun, on my way back found out that they were also messing up a job in Scotland so again was asked to go there and sorted them out. Just got back tonight.

While away had a chat with my mate who was with me, and got chatting about photography one of the subjects we spoke about was photographing kids. Have always classed myself as quite lucky that quite a few off my mates have young kids, and have always found they make great subjects when caught unaware of the camera. If I am happy with the end result I usually give a parents a print and a few times have been asked for a file so they can get a larger version.

This next picture the parents got it printed onto canvas. I remember there faces when I first handed them a 7 x 5 print off it they loved it and couldn't thank me enough.

As soon as I seen the little fellow, I know how I wanted to capture him, really wanted to give him that sort of olden day look, like them old Hovis adverts.

Well here he is.

First off before I start rambling away, kids and photography is always a tough subject to discuss on a forum like this.

As I said I am quite lucky, but still use a bit off common sense and always try and show the parents what I am taking. I think you got to use common sense with this type of stuff.

This subject came up a couple of years ago and I remember that someone said they wouldn't post any pictures of there kids on here. Which I do find a bit sad but understand the why's and why nots. I just thinks its a sad state off affairs, with the whole subject of taking pictures of kids and sometimes that stigma that is put on the subject.

Well that's me off the sopbox:rolleyes:

Have updated the sideshow

Also I have had back the A3 print of the canalside and the duck with the water droplet back while I was away and very happy with both.

Chinese has just turned up, so not really read any other posts yet, will get to that, just to let you know am still around.

Also have loads of pictures to process from Turkey and Scotland, loads of bird and people shots as well, am so far behind in my processing, by the time I am finished you lot will be sick of the sight of me :D

28. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Really like that shot Holo, I do find the lamp or whatever behind him distracting tho.

29. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017

Cheers for the comment JSW:smashin:

Funny enough you are the first person to mention the pint glass in the background. I also left it in on purpose and tried to make it part of the picture.

While I was away explained to my mate about photo competitions, what he couldn't get his head around was the difference in opinions. I explained to him how I had entered one photo into s competition and didn't expect it to win as I thought the other two pictures I had entered were better. Thing is the one I thought was the worst one out of the three won the competition.

In the end told my friend a lot of it is done to a matter of opinion of the individual.

Anyway another from me, and this one is another from the Richmond Park meet. Also its animal in black and white, which isn't everyone's cup of tea but I am a bit of a fan. Linked to larger

[​IMG]

| 1/1000 | f/4.0 | 280 mm | ISO 400 |

Have updated the slideshow if anyone wants to see the full set.

30. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hello there

Decided to add another to my collection.

Have had some good reactions about this one. It was one of them as soon as I open it in lightroom I sort of knew what I wanted to do with it.

[​IMG]

| 1/1600 | f/6.3 | 263 mm | ISO 400 |

I have updated the slideshow if anyone wishes to have a look.

All CC welcome.