1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A HiDef question generated @ Smart Home Show

Discussion in 'TVs' started by vex, Apr 18, 2005.

1. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    With all the talk of Hi Def and Hitachi showing a good range of HD plasmas at the Smart Home Show last week we had a number of people ask about HD distribution throughout a home in our seminar.

It is an answer and subject I don't know enough about as my knowledge is all analogue based from CATV and Satellite industry. :suicide:

I guess that most HD boxes will offer both an analogue composite / component output as well as its HDMI interconnect and we could use that. But what options do we have to distribute the signal in its digital format throughout a property? :confused:

HDMI cables and splitters could be possible, but from what I understand the cost of good quality HDMI cables is high.

Thanks in advance. :lease:

Chris

2. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your so right - this is a quandry, I have long looked for a wireless transmitter that supports something better than composite - so the hope for HD is a long way off. Its NOT HD but the best solution I have seen is a thing called a cat5 blaster that can distribute component or svideo via cat5 cable.

3. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I was at the show and asked the Hitachi about the HD demo material they were showing. They were actually using component to the screens although their screens are supposedly HD ready now.

I'm no expert on this but I believe the main issue with the Sky stuff will be the HDPC copy protection. The decoder has to be built in to the display device to work with a digital connection. It's whole purpose in life is to stop digital attachment being used to copy the bitstream. So the choice would be analog distribution or digital distribution with HDCP ready devices. It may depend on the kind of displays you are likely to use. The smaller screens often used for bedrooms and bathrooms won't show as much benefit from digital connection or even HD. I have been playing with some WMV HD stuff on my PC and it doesn't really have the same impact on my 19" CRT monitor as it does on a 42" Plasma. :(

4. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cant remember how many pins HDMI uses, but assuming it's less than 8, then Cat5 should be easy able to carry the data rates. As the HDCP standard is not reliant on the cable, extending it in this way shouldn't be a problem from a copy protection perspective.

From the FAQ on www.HDMI.com :

"As semiconductor technology improves, even longer stretches can be reached with fiber optic cables, and with active cable technologies such as amplifiers or repeaters."

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I'd look at gefen website. I'd imagine they do HDMI or DVI to CAT5 devices.

Gordon

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello all

We carry a selection of the Gefen DVI/HDMI over CAT5 and DVI/HDMI over fibre boxes in stock - there are various boxes depending on the maximum cable length you need to cover.

There is also a DVI/HDMI over Laser box I've not seen as yet - line of sight; or use mirrors to bend it around corners I guess :)

You can go up to 20m over a standard copper HDMI cable before you need to introduce CAT5 or Fibre extenders.

Best regards

Joe