A hello and quick question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by humy, Sep 9, 2007.

1. humy

humy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well "quick question" maybe debateable!

Anyway a big hello to all on this fantastic forum.:hiya:

I'm a position to get an HDTV and looking at some of the threads on this forum I would like to go for the panny TH42PZ70.

Now my question is what about the sound? I will be using my PS3 as my main HD source but if I connect the sound from the PS3 to an AV receiver, won't there be a slight delay from the pictures? i.e hear sound first, then see the picture.

I know the delay will be very small, but noticable all the same. So I was thinking if I went for a Samsung and took the optical out of that HDTV and put that into an AV receiver, would that then be in sinc.?:confused:

This puts my choice into question again as I don't think the panny has a true DTS audio out?:confused:

Please bear in mind I have yet to purchase an AV receiver too.

Any help appreciated.:thumbsup: or am I worrying needlessly?

Cheers,
    Humy.

2. humy

humy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:

Ah, okay, after a bit more searching all I need is a av receiver with a delay in it!

3. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi Humy,
    It depends entirely on your setup. Usually long analogue cable runs and lots of conversions from analogue to digital etc cause delays.

My setup does have lipsync delay options and is of medium complexity but I've never had to use lip-sync function for any source on my system.

Normally you would set up your system connections as follows:

Sources sound & video connections into AV Reciever.

AV Reciever audio and video going into TV.

That way it makes things easier on remote controls etc and also you get the option of listening to the sound through your TV speakers or your av speakers.

What sort of budget do you have by the way?

Also, do you already own a DVD player you want to use?

Dan

4. humy

humy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I've just ordered my Panny which will hopefully arrive on Monday! :clap:

I'll be using my PS3 for playing dvds/ blu-ray/music and virgin for the tv channels.:smoke:

I haven't purchased a receiver yet, but that is the next thing I'm going to get, and fairly soon too.

I live in a modern terraced town house so don't need to have earth shattering volume for sound, but obviously I would like to have proper 5.1 and/or the ability to go 6.1 sound for movies and games.:dts::dd:
    So my budget for the sound part of my system would be approx. £300-£500.

Do you have any recommendations? Any help very much appreciated :thumbsup:

5. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Realistically, for your budget, you have the opportunity to buy some much better kit if you go 2nd hand. It also means very little depreciation if you intend to upgrade at some point too.

I'd be thinking something like Denon 1907 AV reciever (about £200 2nd hand or £270 new) and some Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo speakers. Probably Evo Three's (floorstanders), Evo Centre, Evo One's for the rears. (there's a seller in Herts selling a set on ebay right now). Ralistically you might be able to get a set for £300-£350 2nd hand

They're not the smallest, but pack some of the best sound quality for the price. The Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) isn't very high on these though so take this into account

Otherwise you could get something a bit more accomodating and discreet like the Moraunt Short Genies (2nd hand guessing approx £300) which would pretty well in a uch more discreet form factor

I wouldn't go mad on cabling either, check out the cabling forum for info as there's some cheap good stuff available from maplins for about £1-£2/metre.

Some food for thought:thumbsup:

Dan.

6. humy

humy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Dan,

Thanks again for your help. Space is a factor so something like the Mordaunt Short Genies looks cool for me.:smashin:

Was wondering though, could I trouble you for some suggestions for new kit too?:blush:

cheers
    Humy.

7. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    For new kit you will get siginificantly lower quality for your money, but the benfits of a warranty to compoensate etc.

I'd still stick with Denon, but would probably suggest the AVR-1707 which can be had for as little as £200 new.

At this level of the game I'd completely ignore HDMI as in order to get an HDMI reciever at this price, you're going to have to sacrifice too much else.

That leaves you about £300 for speakers, but that's a toughie. Realistically that'll get you the Kef KHT-1005 series speaker set which should still sound pretty good or Tannoy EFX5.1 set which should also serve you well.

SPeaker-wire wise, I'd be inclined to go for QED Micro which is inexpensive and available at any decent hi-fi retailer at aroun the £2/metre mark, though I'd probably go on ebay and hunt down a leftover reel so you can knock the price down to as little as 50p-£1/metre as you're going to need something like 20m in a typical setup anyway.

So that would mean about £500-£520 which is not at the outside edge of your budget and it'll look good and sound good, especially for the money.

Dan.

Edit: 'How do I deal with lack of HDMI considering I have a PS3?'
    Option 1> Buy the component cable for the PS3 and run your DVD, sat TV and PS3 all through the AV reciever (more user-friendly and simple) and let you AV Reciever output the currently-selected device to TV and your speakers etc
    Option 2> Run the PS3 directly into the TV's HDMI input, not forgetting to run an optical cable from PS3 to AV Reciever so you get sound.

8. humy

humy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude you are a star :smashin:

Plenty of food for thought there, I'll defo go for a 2nd hand Denon and have a think about the speakers.

Cheers,
    Humy.

9. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    No trouble at all, but a good bit of general advice would be to always seek a 2nd opinion from someone else anyway:smashin:

Dan.

10. FullFat

FullFat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Gotta back Dan up on this (especially as I bought Dan's Evos off him). The sound from the Evo's is fantastic. So good in fact that the Mrs would not let me sell them now even if I wanted to. They replaced a set of KEF Eggs KHT2005.2 which were certainly more discrete but in terms of sound just couldn't (in my opinion) compete with the evo's.

I've a similar set up to yourself in terms of equipment needing to be connected and I have it all running through a Yamaha 750SE (again bought off here) and it really does sound and look great with no trouble with lipsync at all.

The classifieds here are definately your friend when buying kit!

11. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Wow fella, long time no chat. Glad you're enjoying the Evo's, they're great but you can probably see what I mean about the form factor. Then again the sound clearly makes up for having a full-sized speaker setup.

Went out straight from meeting you and bought the rear speakers with all the money I'd got for the 5.0 package I sold you. Felt a little strange seeliing a whole package just to end up with a pair of standmounts and having a little empty room, but have added the rest now (Don't feel I need a sub for now) and am happy.

Evo's were an ace purchase. I'll never regret them.

Humy, if you're interested in some (it will be second hand) then you've just got an extra recommendation from Fullfat here:cool:

Dan.:)