A Hd Crt T.v

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ad47uk, Mar 13, 2006.

1. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So it seems like the old CRT T.V is not on it's last legs.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/13/samsung_hd_ready_crt_tv/

Well done to Samsung, When I ever need a new T.V, I would be looking at a Samsung one, not that I am looking for one at the moment. If I was, I doubt it would be a HD one anyway, as I don't think I will ever find use for one. I prefer the good old CRT to these LED's, plasma or rear projection things.

It looks like Samsung have just put more life into the CRT system.

2. ANGUZ

ANGUZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It might not be a good breath, these slim line tvs have a lot of problems, check other posts on here !, buyer beware :)

3. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    crt hdtv has been around for ages now there called crt pc monitors:D You just gotta add a tv card in your pc and your away!.. hell I know its hard to find one over 24" and they are mostly 4:3.. but they are cheap with yummy black levels.

My nec multisync goes over 2000p!.. see the thing I dont like about digital panels is to look their best everything has to be fed native to avoid scaling, whereas crt will take it and you can fit it in till you push it out of sync..viva crt:smashin:

4. Conzy

Conzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I see they have had a few models out of these slim crts hopefully they have the problems ironed out for this model

5. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah this was discussed in a few threads already... I didn't know that samsung had so many issues (geometry I heard) with their slimline TVs... too bad if that's the same thing with this model, as it would make me switch from my 28" sony to this one, especially with the hdmi port!!

...come to think of it I might get one for my departement and get the company to pay for it... hehe free test!!!

6. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As I said, I am not in the market for any HDTV, I doubt I ever will be, but it just shows that at least the CRT technology is here for a bit longer. I prefer CRT to the other technology, the colours are so much better on the CRT. I know I am using a TFT monitor for the computer, but then I do not use it for moving images.

My next T.V will be a CRT, I am not going for these new technology rubbish.

7. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    If that be a brand new purchase I believe you need to move quick otherwise I think the market will predict what you will/can buy. Curry's/Dixons/John Lewis/Comet already stock at least 70% less CRT's than they did at the latter end of last year. A few manufacturers have ceased CRT production altogether.

8. amardilo

amardilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,752
    I remember reading a JVC sales assitant booklet (it had some blonde girl on the cover holding a camcorder) saying that they were looking/developing into HD CRTs. I think it said you get a HD picture via its componet socket. Not sure how it works as I haven't seen any in the store I work in.

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  10. Qwaz

Qwaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is great news, i really dont like LCDs and plasmas are very expensive and are generally lower resolutions also if you get a plasma it needs to be at least 37".

really hope that it does 720p nicely and i can hook my xbox 360 up to it, then i will definatly be buying one

11. beardtm

beardtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Id really like this set to be a good one, but for £350 i wouldnt get my hopes up too high.

The Samsung Slim Fits that are out cost around £500.

So i dont know how there going to manage a good HD crt for that price, but you never know.

I do hope its good, because i want one.

12. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    new tech rubbish eh? So I am assuming you have a VCR and a black and white tele still I mean come on who needs a DVD player and a colour tele it is new tech rubbish isnt it??

Boy do you have a BAD attitude.:thumbsdow

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    He doesnt have a bad attitude he just has an opinion. Nobody has to agree with it. Just the way he feels.

14. polo76

polo76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.
    In the US, there are manufacturers(e.g. Sony) who make HD CRT's and HD is well established there.
    From what I have read, the picture quality on these sets is superb.
    Why not manufacture these sets here until Plasma/LCD technology improves enough.
    :)

15. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    looking for a new tv myself and this fits the bill
    picture quality of a crt
    &
    size of a lcd (ok not exactly slim as lcd but less bulky than your average crt):clap:

WHEN DOES THIS TV COME OUT!

:thumbsup:

16. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope it doesn't turn out to be cheaply made rubbish.

At £350 I can't see how it can be of any quality...?

I would rather pay £600 and have a "near perfect" high quality product.

17. geraldthebarrel

geraldthebarrel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds too good to be true, but I really hope it isn't. It's quite a niche when you think about it from a gaming point of view.

There aren't any cheap options when it comes to upgrading to HD for the 360 and (November release???) PS3. I'm in the position where I'm ready to buy a 360, but don't really want to do so without getting a box that supports 720p, or 1080i (more on that later). With the only realistic option being one of the Sammy LE**R41B models, the prospect of picking up a HD CRT for less than half that price is very exciting indeed!:thumbsup: No doubt there are thousands of gamers in the exact same position as me, and this is therefore a good chance for Samsung et al to fill that big gap in the price range between a 'normal' TV and the current crop of HD LCDs.

Do you think these companies are gambling on us making a big leap from standard-def CRT up to HD LCD? I for one am not exacly bought on the idea of spending 800 quid for the privilage.

Anyway, I've got an open mind on this one; I've seen one of the current standard-def Slim-Fit Sammys in action, and I was less than impressed with the geometry, but if they can iron that out and provide a set with good connectivity and support for 720p and/or 1080i then surely I won't be the only man running out to buy one at that price! Also, I understand that a CRT handles normal television broadcast alot better than the budget LCDs, so hopefully we would get the best of both worlds.

The one thing I'm not totally sure about is the resolution. If the set doesn't support 720p, will the 360 look as good in 1080i? Need some help on that one.

Let's see what May brings.

18. big_jon_G

big_jon_G
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again,

I posted this link on another thread, but I wanted to post it on this thread as well. Javier S. originally found this.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/2/28pw9551_12/28pw9551_12_dfu_fra.pdf
    http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-95-4601.html

I have been perusing a German hifi forum and they were talking about this model. It appears to coming out in April there.

Interestingly this has kind of slipped under the radar given all the talk about the Samsung model.

I'm not sure when this is coming out in UK.

I really would like a HDTV CRT for 2 main reasons: picture quality and price

I hope this model can give it to me :)

jg

19. beardtm

beardtm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That Philips one looks nice, costs around 1000euros, so approx £700

More like the price a high quality HD CRT could be.

Just hope it gets a UK release.

20. ptogscot

ptogscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup the Philips looks like the one for me hopefully it will get a UK release and on Philips past performance with their higher end CRTs then it should have a decent picture. But I also wouldn't mind if Samsung surprised me with some excellent PQ for around half the price!

21. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uughh, not sure if I am interested in Phillips equipment, my past experiences with them haven't been good. :thumbsdow

I'm surprised Panasonic and Toshiba haven't ventured into the HD CRT market.

22. pytter

pytter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am surprised! I have the opposite problem - Wish my 5 year old Philips 32" CRT would die so I can buy something new! Only had good experiences with Philips (quick find me some wood to knock on....) Our colour TV set from 1984 lasted well over 16 years (it was passed around the family) before things started to go wrong - they certainly don't bullet proof them like that anymore - thankfully otherwise we'd never get new toys!:smashin:

I do find it fascinating that a technology that everyone had written off may be making a silent comeback! If Samsung really release theirs at £350 and it really does deliver HDTV then I can see plenty of other manufacturers offering something near this price point. All screen manufacturers have the know how and technology to produce cheap CRTs. Even though they may not want to do this and risk damaging the higher margins they get from Plasma and LCD, they are unlikley to let Samsung have this part of the market to themselves.:lesson:

Peter

23. geraldthebarrel

geraldthebarrel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true, some good points.

I suppose it boils down to marketing alot more than manufacturing in this case. Like you say, plenty of people are jumping straight to the 800 quid plus LCD/Plasma sets just for the benefit of HD, but on the same hand, there are plenty of consumers (like me!) who don't have the cash to make that big jump into the 800 quid plus market.

The question is, how much of a niche is this for the manufacturers? I'd say it will be more of a short-term thing, before the LCD sets match CRT prices and picture quality. It's all well and good saying "yeah, but the best LCDs have better picture quality than most CRTs", but how much do these sets cost in comparison?! The main advantage to LCD from what I gather is their size and weight, and obviously that they have a hold over European CRTs with their HD ability, but should that advantage cost us so much?

While there are people out there willing to pay so much for LCDs and plasmas, you'd assume that ALL CRT sets will soon be phased out. But like I mentioned, alot of people simply want a TV that can handle 720p for the 360, that doesn't break the bank. Who cares if it's a bit bigger and alot heavier than an LCD! While this is the case, I'll hold out hope that such a set will soon exist.

24. KoolKolo

KoolKolo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nope, the price is 699,- Euos for the philips:

http://www.neckermann.de/index.mb1?mb_f020_id=ssOa_2FjslqRqOzyRXfef_PWQjQzWLz9&mb_v301_ch=6baa1

I really want to buy the samsung, but they are talking about these models at www.avsforum.com (this samsung has a VGA input):
    geometry seems to be sometimes OK and sometimes bad.

I like the samsung design better and also the PiP (Picture in Picture) features, but geometry could really get on your nerves, if you are playing a console or something like this.

Hmmm...

I really want to buy a CRT TV in a few weeks, but I don't know, what to get...

Kai

25. racerocco

racerocco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the viewable screen area on the Samsung?

My existing Panny 32" has a viewable of 30.5".

I really prefer the colours of CRT, a HD CRT is going to be fantastic.

26. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Grrr, I was just about to smack 600 quid down on an lcd now I'm not so sure!

Any info about on when we can expect the phillips to become available in the uk?

Sean

27. electro_man

electro_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    if the price is true then this sounds like a real bargain. Just wondering if there will be component inputs (I have an xbox 360) as well as the hdmi input. I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the previews just the usual s-video and scart sockets. Fingers crossed Samsung can pull this off:) .

28. racerocco

racerocco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Three questions:

Is this set progressive or interlaced?

What is the resolution?

Is the release definitely going to be in May?

29. pytter

pytter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am not convinced Philips would sell it in the UK as they perceive the UK as a premium market - they sell way too many LCDs here!

You should be able to order it from either Germany or The Netherlands and get them to ship it. I have seen already them advertised for as little as €620 and they are not even out yet.

30. mobelea

mobelea
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone confirm that the (currently available) JVC HV32P37S CRT supports 1080i or 720p? The whole "compatible with HD 1125i format signal" thing is confusing me - see link below.

Not too bothered about HDMI yet - I've been playing Oblivion on my 360 tonight and really need a cheap HD compatible telly to do it justice asap...

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conte...~dt~Televisions~st~Widescreen+TV~make~Jvc.htm

Thanks!