1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A HCPC GIVE A BETTER pic THAN A DVD PLAYER

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andrew constant, Dec 30, 2004.

1. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i am thinkin about building a home cinema pc to play my AE500 projector ,at the moment i an using a pio, 757ai,so if ibuilt a top or the range pc will it produce better pics + sound and it will also be upgradable 2. is this the future and will hifi seperates become extinct ?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I just posted a reply to your other post suggesting some things to look for on here to help .. and yes, an HTPC will easily beat a 757, if you want to spend the time and effort to set it up. :)

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    HTPC is the way to go.

Not only will it give you better PQ but when Hi Def drives come out in 2005 you can drop one in or have an external drive with USB2 or Firewire.

Jeff :rtfm:

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD looks better.
    Divx Look better.
    and for me sky looks better cos I have a sweetspot card with RGB in (tv is deinterlaced with D scaler)

Took a while to set up and some hair pulling out (not that I had alot to start with)

5. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    what about ease of use nowadays?

6. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    if you can use a computer you can use a hcpc, open theatertek, click play. Its the setting up that seems to be the hard part, but once you've got that sorted everythings easy

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    But to get serious PQ improvement you need FFDSHOW and that's where the fun begins .. also, if you have a mix of NTSC and PAL DVDs you'll need refresh rate changes and then probably Reclock to keep stutter and drop-outs away .. by then there's a lot of bits and pieces of software needed to keep playing nicely with each other.

8. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    forgive the ignorance. You are using your pc to feed the picture etc to the PJ. DO you find the noise of the pc too loud.

Mines very very loud. Dell Dimension XPS, didnt think of feeding it to the PJ?

9. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Normal pc's are far too loud and hence a fair bit of money going on acoustic products
    take a look a www.quietpc.com

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,022
    I have recently attached muy PC to my AE100 to see what it is like. My computer has seven fans and thought it would be too loud. However, once the 5.1 sound started. I couldn't hear the computer at all (or my beer fridge which is even louder than the PVC).

11. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    so i guess you use the normal vga monitor lead on the computer and the same on the projector and output directly from your graphics card?

If you have a fairly decent Dvd, not saying i have, what does using a pc do better? Im interested.

12. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried to set up a HTPC last year - got the quietpc HTPC case, quiet fans etc etc. I just could not get decent DVD playback on WinDVD or PowerDVD. tried various settings but never as smooth as the DVD player. In the end I gave up and I have a Sumsung HD935 which has DVI output and progressive scan, great for my needs :)

EDIT: I still use the HTPC to feed digiTV (Nebula card) and DIVX to my PJ via the D-sub connection though.

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A cheapo player like the Samsung, or the Momitsu I have, can produce stunningly good pictures for the price. :)

14. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Andrew, i used to have a pio 757 connected to my Z2. I then built a HCPC but not top of the range just a xp2500 processor etc as it was my first build. It originally cost me £360 and i no longer use the 757 with my projector, this is now in another room.

I use NVidia codecs and ffdshow and the picture quality is far superior to the pio 757. As for noise it is pretty much as loud as the PJ so not too distracting. Sound wise via opitical is the same as the pio 757 (i did a side to side), i dont have coaxial out on the pc though so couldnt compare that.

It is also the flexibility that comes with a PC as well, i am in the process of building a movie jukebox so i can watch dvds straight from my hard drive or hard drives :D .

15. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Also meant to say i wouldnt recommend an XP2500 if you are going to use the NVidia codecs and ffdshow with PAL material, as it will need to be overclocked to handle the processing, depending on the ffdshow settings.