1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A happy new Hitachi owner

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by shortneck, Jan 5, 2005.

1. shortneck

shortneck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I've got the tx-100 eventually on new year's eve! Since then I'm watching movies every night!

I've connected my dvd through s-video and projecting on a creamy white wall. The picture is about 3 metres wide and I'm sitting around 3m away from it.

All I can say is wow! VB is non existent. Chicken-wire is very obvious when you go near the screen but from where I sit is not an issue at all. Blacks and all colours in general are excellent.

Before buying and after speaking to the guy at the shop I had second thoughts about the tx-100. Maybe he was right when insisted that I would get a better pq from a lesser resolution dlp projection. But, the fact is that from what I've seen so far (Crimson Rivers, Matrix Reloaded, Envy, Wizard of Oz, Spiderman 2) I am 100% satisfied with Hitachi.

I didn't bother more than 15 mins with the picture quality settings. I may deal with that after my initial excitement runs out. Or I discover a guide on the net.

Next I need to get a dvi to dvi cable to connect my pc for some serious Half-Life 2 action and also connect my tv to see what's like. By the way, my tv has only scart and composite connections. Do such things as scart to component leads exist? If not I'll have to connect through composite I guess.

Y

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Like you I hardly touched the adjustments for a month or so. Recently I've been fiddling with GAMMA 1 and it makes an noticable improvement to shadow detail.
    Store your current settings in memory 1, when you feel braver have a fiddle and save them in 2, then another fiddle and save in 3 etc. I'm up to memory 3 and it's great to be able to see the improvement as you flick between them. You'll think "gosh, was I really happy with that?!" ;) Give it a month or 2 though, let the WOW factor fade just a little!..PJ

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Missed this bit when scan reading your post.

Biggest improvement you can make is to project onto something flat and white (or very slightly grey). I started with a wall and very soon made my own screen (patterned wallpaper was also a factor!) 3m wide screen is big though, I went for 6 ft! And only 3m back you are certainly getting a panoramic view, but are probably seeing more artifacts than ideal!

I too started with S-video 'cause my DVD didn't do component. I went out and bought the Pioneer 575 which has progressive scan component out, that made a noticable difference too!

Good luck...PJ

4. Whyshirley

Whyshirley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite sure if I've got the right end of the stick here, re: connecting your TV, but if you mean connecting your freeview / sky TV box or anything else via scart to the PJTX100, you can indeed get leads that will allow this. They have a scart plug at one end and 4 phono plugs the other to give RGB plus sync. The three colour phonos are connected to the component sockets on the TX100, the sync phono (usually colour coded white or the like) goes to the composite socket. You have to set a menu option on the TX100 (can't remember where) to tell it to use the component inputs as Scart RGB and not component. Note that the scart output you're using should be set to output RGB, otherwise you'll just end up with plain composite.

If however you're talking about feeding component into a scart equiped TV, you'll need a converter box of some sort I think, not just a lead.

5. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations!
    I also have one.
    I am surprised at that chicken wire is not an issue at the dimensions you gave. I have a 2 m' wide screen, and watch from nearly 4 m', and notice it on bright background such as a blue sky. It is not an issue for me, but would have been at your dimensions.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm intrigued, I watch same size screen from closer and I don't see any artifacts which could be described as chicken wire / screen door. Close up the square pixelation is evident but get more than 1x screen width away and it rapidly disappears, 1.5x distance and it's gone, but you sit 2x away. What exactly do you see?
    Cheers...PJ

7. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you read the following, note that you might be better off without reading it, because as with all artifacts, you might be better off not being able to notice them. Once you know how to see them, they begin to bother you a bit, until you get over it :)

I see screendoor from 4m' on a 2m' screen in the following cases:
    a) Bright, and constant color background
    b) When the background moves and is fuzzy

Both things together makes it even simpler.

The easiest is when watching a football match and the camera pans after a long kick. The grass gets fuzzy, but since the screendoor is static relative to the screen, it stands out.

But , its no big deal really.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    OK, I only watch DVD on the PJ, I suspect other sources are less forgiving.
    Cheers...PJ :smashin:

9. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This can occur with DVDs too. Let's say the football game is on DVD. It is true TV images are fuzzier than quality DVD images, but whenever you will have a moving bright image, it will fuzz out and the screendoor lines will stand out more.

10. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got one of these with my TX100. It is a connector with component connections on one side and a scart socket on the other. I also got a component lead as well.

Should be in with the packaging somewhere, assuming they still come with them.

Hope you're enjoying it.

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The one which came with mine was a SCART to composite video / 2 channel audio - which actually I did need to plug my Video into the composite (well, it's :censored: to start with so who cares?! ;) )

You can get SCART to component though for around a fiver...PJ

12. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The settings that I am currently using are based on some posted over on AVSForums which give me a good improvement on my original settings which were based on just a few tweaks made to the standard settings. They are as follows:

Picture
    Brightness +2 *
    Contrast +3
    Gamma - Custom 1
    (+13,+13,+13,+13,+12,+10,+0,-16)
    Color Temperature - Custom
    (+10,-1,-2,+18,+18,+18)
    Sharpness 3

Setup
    Keystone +0
    Whisper Whisper
    Iris 4

Obviously each installations circumstances are different but it is worth a try. They certainly worked for me.

KL

13. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You sharpness setting is surprising.
    I have both read it and saw it on my DVE disc: the sharpness control is legacy from old broadcast television when some sharpness was lost, and the control artificially added edges. It is always recommended to leave it at 0.
    The additional edges you see with it are completely artifical and do not exist in the original film, had you viewed it in a cinema.

14. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    moco, have you got a TX100? 3 is the standard setting out of the box, reducing it to 0 gave a very soft image.

15. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I am.
    You are right, actually, about it being the out of the box setting. I should not have wrote, then, "surprising".
    Still, the rest of what I wrote is true, and I gave DVE as a reference.
    The image is soft, after you get used to sharpness-3, but it is closer to the image of the original film. In other words, soft is "correct".
    As opposed to other settings, where you normally try to get as close as possible to the original cinema film, above zero sharpness adds artificial edges that were not there.
    If you like them, then good for you.

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    After some fiddling over the past month I have ended up with very similar settings to keylion. Sharpness 0 looks like mush to me, I have it set to 4 usually! Of course it's all about personal preference...PJ

17. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Its all about preference, you are right.

I do prefer a sharp image to a soft one. One point to note though. I had DVE when I had my TX, and I only had ringing at 4 & 5, position 3 was perfect, and anything below was so soft as to blur the lines. Perhaps the sharpness can also be effected by the source?

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hi UrbanT, how would you describe "ringing"?... in the PJ sense... ;) ...PJ

19. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the source is DVD, then according to DVE, that is very unlikely or impossible (don't remember the exact wording).

20. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I'm not the most descriptive of people, but it is like having a shadow line, of the original line. Does that make sense?

21. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Aha. Yes, I do see it occasionally, I'd descibe it as a halo, usually see it on objects against a bright background. Funnily enough only noticed this recently since nudging the sharpness to 4... methinks I'll nudge it back down to the default 3. Thanks UrbanT!

The only other artefact I see occasionally is on very fast panning shots of for example complex CGI scenes eg large battle scenes. I'd describe it as a slight judder... almost as if the machine is furiously trying to recalc all the pixels and not quite getting there. Not distracting and we're getting down to diminishing issues here but I'm wondering if you can comment on this?

Thanks...PJ

22. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I didn't mean the DVD itself, I meant the source as in the player :)

23. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. moco

moco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And I used the word 'DVD' for 'DVD player' :)

25. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Halo's, thats a better word. I know some DVD's have Edge Enhancement, which also produces the same effect, which there isn't much you can do about as far as I'm aware. The Phantom Menace springs to mind as having very bad EE.

The only thing I can think of for your judder, is micro stutters? Are you playing NTSC material at 60hz? as you can tell, I'm not overly technical, so probably not the best person to ask :blush:

26. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Sorry Moco, no idea then. I think PJTX100's description was best, it looked like mush to me to, at 0 settings. If you like what you see, thats all that matters :smashin:

27. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I probably used the word judder incorrectly, it's more a feeling of "bl**dy hell I've a lot of work to do here" rather than a relaxed smooth shot. To be honest it was exactly the same on my previous TV - a Phillips 32" Pixel Plus jobbie (as you can see I'm a sharpness freak!). Perhaps it's just me.

DVD was an R2. Not an issue however, I'm still totally bowled over with the TX100... just hope gremlins don't emerge... PJ

28. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    From when I was doing my research on settings over at AVS the general consensus was that leaving the sharpness setting at 3 gave no adjustment the the source, where as going down the scale softened the image and going up the scale sharpened the image.

If you are happier with you settings though it doesn't really matter.

KL

29. shortneck

shortneck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I¢ve been out of town for a few days but I¢m happy to be back to my house and my pj now (sad git, I know)! Had some friends around yesterday and today to watch some movies (Bug¢s Life and Underworld) and play some games in a friend¢s playstation II (tekken 4). It was their first experience with a projector and two of them are actually considering getting one in the following days…

I have also rearranged the living room. The tx-100 is based on a coffee table which I pull out of the way when I don¢t use it. The projection is still on the same wall (3m wide) but the seats are now situated between 4.5 and 5.5 metres. There is absolutely no visible screendoor effect unless I go very close to the wall. Then again I don¢t try to look for it.

The DVD player is the Pioneer 350 which doesn¢t come with component outputs so S-video is my only option right now. I will either upgrade the player (I¢m quite keen on the Pioneer 575 actually) or get a new pc and transform my existing one to a media center pc. Have to admit I tend towards the second option though.

I still haven¢t managed to connect the TV (not freeview/sky). It only has scart outputs and composite input so I suppose a cable like the one Whyshirley suggested with scart on one end and 4 RCA plugs on the other (3 component and 1 video) is the way to go. Unless I try to get tv picture by connecting through a vcr. Still need to look into that.

The connector that came with the machine is scart on one side (out) and composite video plus audio left and right on the other. There was also a cable with 3 RCA jacks on each side which I assume can be used in conjunction with the connector for composite video and audio (left and right). Can the same lead be used for a component to component connection (assuming I had a dvd player with component out)? Doesn¢t have to be of a different make in order to transfer video? I also checked with the store I got the pj and they told me there are no scart to component leads!

I also fiddled a bit with the settings. I haven¢t touch gamma yet but I prefer the sharpness setting of 3 and Iris set to 4 in whisper mode. Keep experimenting though.

Cheers for your comments
    Y

30. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I went out and got the 575, very pleased with it. It has progressive scan which is important, unsure if the 350 has this

Yes the cable in the box is colour coded as a component cable hence will do fine if it's long enough for you (albeit it's a fairly basic quaility cable). I picked up a 15m component cable from tvcables.co.uk for under 15 quid inc postage. There are SCART to component adapters if you look around, I recently posted a link somewhere for one under a fiver. You'd have to check on the 350 but I presume it can output RGB to the SCART and you can set the TX100 to accept RGB as component input. I'd have tried this too on my older 525 but I jumped in with both feet and went for the 575 'cause it looks such good value...PJ