1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Happy Day In My House

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ross007, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Evening Everyone

A great moment in my household has occurred the wife has approved a projector purchase. The projector will have to go into a room we have now dubbed the 'Family Room' this will be a mix of a dining room / play room / home cinema, this was part of the compromise. We currently have a 6.1 setup in the room which I am happy with (check my website out), so really this is just getting rid of the TV and moving some furniture around.

I have a budget of around £1000 and I am either looking at the Sanyo Z3 or Panasonic PTAE700, or any other projector your guys recommend after reading my questions / queries! Although after an email from my local Sevenoaks, I now confused as to whether I should be thinking about a DLP projector?

Now after lots of reading the fun begins....the questions;

Screen Size.
    From the seating to the screen will be approx. 16'. I know this would give a pretty big screen size, I am only looking for a 16:9 6' x 4' or 7' x 4'/5' screen. The trouble is the this has to be projected through an archway (see attached plan), I hope this would not be a problem?

Screen
    I am going to make an MDF screen painted with Ice Storm 5 or 6 with a painted on black border. Should this be ok? How far up the wall will the screen have to go?

Projector Location
    This has to be mounted on a shelf behind the seating position. How far roughly does this have to go up the wall? Is it ok to put the projector on the shelf?

Darkness
    I am aiming for as much darkness using blackout curtains and a blackout blind if necessary, but this may allow some light in. So would it be worth sticking with an LCD projector?

Projector Use
    Will be mainly films with occasional TV or laptop use.

Cables
    I want to use a 10m HDMI cable to hook up the DVD player to the projector. Does this cable need to be AVG24 shielded or is that only needed for cables over 10m. Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced cable to use.

DVD Player
    Obviously I would player that will a HDMI socket, but can also play DVD-RAM. My budget for this is £150.

I think that's about all for now!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Thats an odd shaped room you have there my friend. the distance to screen is quite long and that pillar could result in problems but you should get at least a 7ft screen. Shelf mounting some pjs can be a problem with the venting ducts on them. I use the panny 700e but not at that distance. It has a very flexible zoom ratio though. But its cheap under 1k and very quiet. you need to audition dlp against lcd to see if you are affected by rainbow effect of dlp. I would consider building a screen its the most cost effective option.
    checkout this site for fabric. http://www.drhscreens.co.uk/buy.asp#sf
    As for the conncections well the 700 allows you 3 high quality inputs HDMI, RGB, and component and is HD ready, check out the members gallery of pics, search for lofty, I am running the pj on a 5ft screen through HDMI.
    couldnt be happier with the picture quality.

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    How much does the PJ 'have' to be on the back wall. Although there are several models that have 2.xx throw ratios they generally have a better PQ in the middle of their focus range. Also the vertical offset has to be a consideration if you are mounting on the back wall.

Maybe its possible to close mount it to the ceiling in front of the arch. In any case venting requirements should be a serious consideration for any model choice as the heat output can really build up and will shorten your bulb life.

4. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the response so far guys, can the Panny be mounted on a shelf?

5. dmjohnson123

dmjohnson123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ross007,

have a look on www.projectorpoint.co.uk.

They have a screen size calculator so you simply pick a projector, then it allows you to play with throw distance and you can see the minimum and maximum size of the projected image (the minimum/maximum is based on the zoom level adjustment of the selected projector).

Please bear in mind the dimensions of the calculated screen size on projectorpoint is 4:3 so the height calculated (if watching 16:9 widescreen) is not correct. The width is correct.

6. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Checked out the calculator, the Panny is the best option for the distance. Its a shame really cause the Z3 is a good price. Will there be a price drop on the Panny?

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nobody can tell, if Panasonic release a new projector this autumn then its possible it will drop. Even so it wont drop by a huge amount, I wouldnt have thought...

8. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I project a 75"-80" screen from 13 feet away.

Attached Files:

9. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got a good idea of what you want to do, and with the sizes / distances involved, of the two projectors I think the Panny is the way to go (says a Sanyo owner).

*MIGHT* be worth waiting a couple of months to see if the Panny drops in price (I could never do this - too impatient).

Hmmmm.... £1k budget?, that'll be eaten up by DVDs and popcorn, within the first weekend :) Go on, take the plunge, I'm sure you won't regret it

10. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Luckily I don't need the projector for a month or 2 so hopefully there might b a price drop!!??!!

11. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thought about the Screenplay 4805?

With the current price drop should be on any list!!

12. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I was having the same consideration as you when I bought my Z3.
    I was leaning towards the Panny due to the throw distance but the Z3 won out in the end.
    I half wish I'd bought the panny as the throw distance would have been really handy.
    Ceiling mounting my Z3 is going to be a pain.

13. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If the OP mounts the 4805 where he plans the offset will give him a compromised image. Also to fit the screen size he'd be a the edge of his lens' tolerance which is never a good thing. Also its a bit noisy for that close to the seating position.

14. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Monkey Alan, how high up the wall have you got your projector? Mine will have to up about 4' - 5' from the floor. Will this be ok?

15. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,404
    with regard to your screen, if you are going for Icestorm 5/6 use the lightest colour. I bought the darkest and felt it was too dark. Sorry I can't be more help but I can't remember which number is the lightest...someone else will know...

16. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Its 5'.3" but I am using abit of down lenshift, 4-5 would be idea as you'll use very little lens shift and will be using the nicest part of the lens. I put mine abit higher so people stop banging there head on it :rotfl: , being higher also helps if you want to sit nearer for any reason as you won't be blocking the projectors view.

The ae700 can be mounted on a coffee table or on the ceiling so its more about your personal preferences to where you want it to go. But also take into account the more central it is to the screen the better the picture will be. ;)

17. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

18. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    A few screen questions...

When it comes to making the screen, what thickness of mdf is best?
    Would it be worth using a thicker piece or a thinner one with battening attached to the back?
    Would a painted border on the mdf be ok?
    Whats the best order to do things would it be better to mount the projector and then put the screen up or the other way round?

Thanks for the advice so far. Much appreciated!

19. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Has anyone got any thoughts on another lot of my questions!!

Cheers

20. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,404
    you'd be better off taking a look or submitting a new post in the screens section.

21. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I used 6mm MDF with batons. MDF in such sizes is heavy, 12mm or more would be a challenge to mount. 6mm does flex slightly, batons will take care of this. I made the baton frame then glued on the MDF.

Painted border works well, small tin of matt black from the DIY shop and some masking tape will do it. I used a small gloss roller. TIP. Make sure you cover your white area well to avoid black smattering - don't just rely on the masking tape!

I mounted the projector first, then you know exactly the size you need...PJ :)