A grand to spend on a 37 inch TV - Tosh or Philips

gerbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
42 inch is probably too large for my living room. I will probaly have a grand and maybe another ton to buy this TV.

I have a TV Drive Box with HDMI connection and a Toshiba DVD player with a HDMI connection. I will probably be purchasing a X Box 360 in the next few months also.
I will therefore need two HDMI connections, probably will wish to purchase from John Lewis due to 5 years guarantee. Anyone recommend a good set wife likes the Philips 37PF7521D/10 while I prefer the Toshiba 37 inch set.

I would appreciate all views.:lease:

Any thoughts please!!!!

Philips Pixel Plus models definitely give best SD from Freeview performance IMHO

The Tosh is fairly good on SD and possibly has better colour depth than the Philips.

Any thoughts please!!!!

the Philips you talk about and the old Toshiba 37wlt66 were compared in home cinema choice:-
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6834

The Toshiba did significantly better but to be fair to philips it is a budget model the styling is awful and they do better with their upmarket range although you could argue these are way overpriced.

The sound on the new Toshiba 37wlt68 has been improved and the 100Hz processing added that improves motion handling beyond that of the 66.

Its a no brainer - Tosh is in a diff league

the Philips you talk about and the old Toshiba 37wlt66 were compared in home cinema choice:-
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6834

The Toshiba did significantly better but to be fair to philips it is a budget model the styling is awful and they do better with their upmarket range although you could argue these are way overpriced.

The sound on the new Toshiba 37wlt68 has been improved and the 100Hz processing added that improves motion handling beyond that of the 66.

Its a no brainer - Tosh is in a diff league
Firstly styling as I have said before on other threads is an each to his own thing. I prefer the side speakers.
The PF75 is not a budget range the PF55 and PF33 fall below.

The review you quote is comparing the previous Philips model with the Tosh66, Even this review agrees that the Philips gave the best SD performance. Yes the Tosh as I have said again on other threads is a good TV but as most of my viewing will be on SD freeview or upscaled DVD the choice for me is also a no brainer. The Tosh is not in a different league its in the same league but only at the top of the play off zone.

The Tosh 68 may be better but is a lot more £££'s and as yet I havent had a decent demo of one. So far on the evidence of my own eyes on SD the Philips is in an unassailable top of the league position for this season at least.

The SD performance on the Tosh 68 is phenomenal. I was flicking through freeview last night and couldn't believe some of the programmes were not broadcast in HD.

Any more views guys?

if you are looking at lcd then i would choose the tosh over the philips imo. a friend has a tosh and its black levels and handling of hd material is, i think, superior to the low end philips tv's.

philips have no back light control, which in my mind, means that black levels will always suffer. i have a sony kdlv2000 and the black level, once calibrated, is astonishing. the tosh gives a very good account of itself when it comes to black levels too and its sd performance isn't too shabby either.

cheers

fish

btw with ref to the TH37PX600...its an awesome screen..probably the best sd pic i saw on my travels when testing all these tv's. however, i wasn't happy with the screens little flaws..such as green trails on any heavily contrasting scenes. i tried revenge of the sith and i found it massively obvious...you should see sin city...even worse!! other peeps have not found this a prob tho (there are millions of threads on the panasonic issues). i will hold my hands up tho and say that the panny is a superb tv...best bet..take a few dvd's down to the retailers and spend some time testing em all

Do plasma or lcd match the quality of a good CRT yet? The biggest advantage flat screens seem to have is that they're flat and far easier to fit in a room where the depth of a big CRT makes it impractical but the trade off seems to be quality of SD PQ. When I bought my xbox 360 last year I bought a 26 Philips which I have just upgraded to a Samsung 32R74BDX. From the Philips to the Samsung has been an impressive jump but from my Philips CRT to the LCD actually felt like a backward step for anything other than the 360 and good quality DVDs. It's crazy upgrading a TV after just less than a year.

I'm considering the Panasonic for my parents as an upgrade to their 28" Tosh CRT, I had been looking into a 1080P set but I don't think that technology is currently worth the cost. Their primary viewing is SD analogue and digital TV plus feeds from a PC. Flatscreen is the only practical choice for increasing their screen size and 37" seems to be the right size for their room. I had thought about a 46"+ bohemoth but it would frankly be stupidly big, though fun for the occasional 360 splurge. :devil:

My twopence - nothing compares to a CRT as yet. However, I've just gone and bought the Toshiba 7 WLT68. Why? Because my CRT is playing up and unless I want to buy an Asda special, I can forget about getting a CRT, and because I want a bigger screen but I have to totally gut my sitting room, and a big CRT is a nightmare to move.

If my CRT didn't need replacing, and was bigger, say a 28inch, I'd have left it for at least another year. If your parents tv doesn't actively need replacing, I wouldn't replace it, to be honest. I think that their viewing quality will just diminish, no matter how much you spend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom