A good WiFi Streamer for ~$200 that supports Spotify….recommendations?

signal

Novice Member
I have an Onkyo A-9050 attached to a pair of Klipsch Heresay speakers.

I currently have an Amazon Echo Dot attached to the A-9050 which I use with Spotify to send music to my system.
The input signal from the Amazon Echo Dot is so weak, that the Onkyo actually goes into standby after 30 minutes because it basically detects no signal. I can turn off the standby, but I actually like that feature. The issue is I have a shoddy signal from the Echo Dot.

I want a WiFi streamer that I can use in place of the Dot. I don’t want to spend more than $200. So far I am looking at the Audioengines B-Fi. It looks like it will do what I want. I am not sure how good the DAC is on the Onkyo or the Audioengines, but I could either go analog into the Onkyo or Digital, which is nice.

Are there other WiFi Streamers i should be looking at? I pretty much just use Spotify.

Tactman

yamaha wx-ad10...doesnt have any digital output but it does have bluetooth...and ethernet input so you don't have to be wifi dependent...in some cases it can be very important...

and i think musiccast is more mature multi room system compared to audioengine...

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Just in case you weren't aware, the Dot output isn't line level, it's controlled by the Alexa volume level. So you should be able to increase it simply by asking Alexa to increase the volume. I've had Dot v2 & v3 connected to my amp & yes the level is low, but not that low.

One issue I did find is that the recess where the 3.5mm socket is located on the Dot can prevent jack plugs fully inserting, so check that it's fully home. May also be worth trying the alternative connection on the amp (RCA/3.5mm front panel).

Hixs

Distinguished Member
The Zen streamer is around 200 notes I think.

Edit - no it isn't.

There is the Teufel Connector but it's been discontinued and it's replacement went up in price.

jamieu

I have an Onkyo A-9050 attached to a pair of Klipsch Heresay speakers.

I currently have an Amazon Echo Dot attached to the A-9050 which I use with Spotify to send music to my system.
The input signal from the Amazon Echo Dot is so weak, that the Onkyo actually goes into standby after 30 minutes because it basically detects no signal. I can turn off the standby, but I actually like that feature. The issue is I have a shoddy signal from the Echo Dot.

I want a WiFi streamer that I can use in place of the Dot. I don’t want to spend more than $200. So far I am looking at the Audioengines B-Fi. It looks like it will do what I want. I am not sure how good the DAC is on the Onkyo or the Audioengines, but I could either go analog into the Onkyo or Digital, which is nice.

Are there other WiFi Streamers i should be looking at? I pretty much just use Spotify.

A used Chromecast audio connected to the Onkyo with a 3.5mm Mini-TosLink to TosLink (S/PDIF) cable?

signal

Novice Member
Just in case you weren't aware, the Dot output isn't line level, it's controlled by the Alexa volume level. So you should be able to increase it simply by asking Alexa to increase the volume. I've had Dot v2 & v3 connected to my amp & yes the level is low, but not that low.

One issue I did find is that the recess where the 3.5mm socket is located on the Dot can prevent jack plugs fully inserting, so check that it's fully home. May also be worth trying the alternative connection on the amp (RCA/3.5mm front panel).

You're right, I could probably just crank the dot up. But then I would be using no doubt the worst amp to overrdrive the signal, introducing the worst quality.

I just ended up buying a Denon DRA-800H. A bit overkill maybe, but I do have a TV in this listening room that I can then tie into the setup, which is nice and there are a lot of cool streaming features with the Denon.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom