1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good wallpaper to project onto ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sean2068, Apr 3, 2005.

1. sean2068

sean2068
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a contoured bubbly raised pattern wallpaper in my room which i am not allowed to take down due to dodgy plastering. I need to find a good flat surfaced wallpaper to paste above this to get a nice even surface and for a good base to paint icestorm 6 onto.

I know this is a little decoraty for a projection screen forum but im all out of options.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks for your time,

Sean

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Why overlay with wallpaper in particular?
    Hardboard or 6mm MDF may be a better option.
    Or make a screen from blackout material or similar.
    At a pinch you could buy a pull-down white blackout blind - eg Ikea do them.
    Just a few ideas!
    ..PJ :)

3. sean2068

sean2068
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah good thinkin actually, ill have a look at those options... thanks

4. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I know it is a cheaper option and it might serve some people well, but nothing can look as good as a proper screen. :) They can be bought cheaply as disscused elsewhere in the forums. In my humble opinion after all the money you spend on a projector, amp and speakers to paint a wall magnolia :confused: does not do justice to your projector and your Homecinema overall.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Don't think anyone mentioned magnolia in this thread!

It's the 80/20 rule again, or in this case more like the 95/5 rule. Get it white & even, get it flat, you can get some surprisingly good results. Improve you undoubtedly can, but how much would you have to spend? If you call a proper screen a couple of hundred quid pull down job, I'll keep mine thanks.

I fully subscribe to the false economy theory. I can't understand people having an expensive DVD collection and then plumping for the cheapest supermarket DVD player. Similarly I can't understand people spending lots on a HT setup then seeking out the cheapest pirate DVD copies.

However, when it comes to a PJ projection surface, DIY does not necessarily mean shoddy...PJ :)

6. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    sorry :oops: I don't know where magnolia came in, I have seen threads where paint finshes have been mentioned with regard to screen's.
    I agree with you when it comes to a DIY surface to project onto, DIY does not mean shoddy. :)

7. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Some of the screenshots in that light fusion post suggests a diy job would give a "proper" screen a run for it's money