1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A 'good' source for DLP rainbows?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pecker, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Just a thought, but there have been lots of questions recently about the rainbow effect on DLP projectors.

Could we build up some sort of list of 'good' (that is bad, or visible) sources for rainbows? Eg:

'Star Wars Part 12' DVD, 1 hour 12 minutes 15 seconds in to the film - Yoda's lightsabre produces a rainbow.'

If all of us DLP owners who own the discs can check them as reference points we might be able to come to some sort of conclusion. Are we all seeing the same rainbows? Are some effected less than others, or do different peopler just see different rainbows at different times on different projectors?

Finally, we might even be able to come up with a list of 5 or 6 classic rainbow moments. People could then choose one that's on a DVD they own, and take it along when they audition a new projector.

Just a thought.

Steve W

2. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    good idea i think.

sleepy hollow - the burning torches of the village just before the headless horseman attacks (at least two seperate scenes).

i will have to go back and check now - cos fortunately i am seeing them less and less now (ND2 filter seemed to have helped a lot as well as improving the picture!)

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    I know it's not what you want from the thread, but my experience is that it's not specific films or scenes that produce rainbows, but the state of the watcher.
    If I'm tired, relaxed, or drunk, I can see them at will if I want to on just about every film. Maybe light and bright scenes are easiest, but believe me, I can see 'em whenever I want (after a case of Stella)
    Then go back to that scene that you thought was rainbow ridden at a different time and they aren't there.
    Did read something on the science behind this either here or elsewhere, but buggered if I can find the link.

Phil

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    For the love of the game: Scene called "just throw" Skip to it and it starts with a left to right pan over a baseball scoreboard. You basically are looking at white lights moving slowly across the screen on a black background. This scene tends to show rainbows for me.

Gordon

5. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Blade II, the underground battle scenes in the sewers. Lots of bright metal flashing by against a black background. Totally killed the H78 demo I had recently and I've since given up on DLPs. Hopefully the next generation of D5 based LCD machines will close the gap and I can stop worrying about what might have been. :rolleyes:
    Rob.

6. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The Missing, opening scene where Cate Blanchett is sitting in the outhouse. This scene is almost certain to produce rainbows for all dlp owners.

Foghorn

7. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Lost In Translation. The scene where Bill Murray is doing his whiskey advert.

It's quite a dark scene with some fast movement, check the Japanese director's
    movement for rainbows. I do suffer from them & the infocus 5700 gave me bad eye strain on this scene, whereas 7205 & Sharp Z200 didn't.

8. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,263
    I'm with you on this one - 4/5 tins of "Old Wife Beater" and I see em everywhere. Thing is if I "forget" that rainbows exist I dont see em - someone explain the science of that one to me !!

9. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    That's great! We can all check those specific scenes both with & without lubrication.

The only one of those I have is 'Lost in Translation', which I love. I'll check it out.

Steve W