1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good retail experience!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Niburu, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

I have read the post about `slating` retailers and thought I would turn the tide by being positive about one internet retailer.
    I am probably as cautious as most about buying on the internet but I cannot resist the ease of browsing online and searching for the best price.
    After weeks of looking, I had my eye set on the Philips 32PW9308, which is a flatscreen 32" 100hz TV with all the trimmings. I settled upon a site called Digital-Point.co.uk, which had provided me with my DVD recorder a couple of years ago. The main reason to return? Price. This widescreen beauty was selling at almost £300 under retail price and was just in my price range, so it made sense.
    They delivered the next day and I was all happy.
    Well, not quite.
    The TV had a couple of faults, small as they might have been, I expected more for my £600. The screen looked a little dirty and had vertical lines. I called Philips who suggested I request a replacement. I phoned Digital-Point and they sent a new TV round without too many questions and I only waited a couple of days.
    I give them thumbs up, not only for a cheap, decent TV but also for replacing my TV for a new one without quibble.
    There is hope for internet retailers yet .......

Iain

2. slimtim

slimtim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: nice one ive just ordered the new model of that the 9309 from them, heres hoping my service is as good as yours.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Niburu,

Glad you've got a good deal and are happy with the Customer Service.

However, I'll stick with John Lewis for the pricematch, free delivery, free 5 year guarantee and a table to thump if I'm not satisfied!

Happy viewing. :thumbsup:

4. slimtim

slimtim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    john lewis dont price match online, and as ive not got one near its not worth it for me surely?

5. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I have experienced, John Lewis will not match online prices.
    I have tried but they say that the online retailers have a fraction of the overheads and that you don't get the same customer service.
    That, of course, depends on the retailer. Currys just laughed at me when I asked them to match Digital Points price for the TV. They said they would guarentee door to door delivery in 3 working days, while old Digital Point delivered the next day!
    If John Lewis said they would price match a internet company, I would like that in writing!

Iain

6. mrdiscopop

mrdiscopop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found www.tvandvideodirect.com incredibly helpful. Good, knowledgeable salespeople on the phone before I placed my order. I also got a call to assure me the TV I'd ordered was in stock within 30 minutes of placing an online order. They arranged a convenient delivery date free of charge, and the delivery came first thing in the morning on the specified date. They were also cheap, which can't be a bad thing.

Would never have found the site if I hadn't come here first, though.

7. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting my Philips 32PW9618 delivered from Digital-Point (Electro-Centre) tomorrow.

I have heard they only sell imports, but when you phone up they always say it's UK stock.

It will be interesting to see if I do get a UK model.

My impression so far of Digital Point, is that although they are the cheapest for most TV's, and their website is good, their telephone manner leaves plenty of room for improvement. :rolleyes: All they give is YES/NO answers, and not willing to have a decent conversation. :thumbsdow

I just hope that if there is any problem with my TV that it will be swapped for a new replacement. :cool:

8. slimtim

slimtim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i kind of found that out too today. My first order, Barclays just stopped the order as it was a 'unusually large amount' :rolleyes: So i just got an email saying the card was refused, reorder when ive sorted it.

So anyway i rang up to check and yeah, they were crap. The fella wasnt intrested. But i reordered at 2:40pm and they rang me about 30mins later to say it will be delivered tommorow ( :clap: day off work)

Lets just hope as you say it turns up in one piece and dosnt need replacing/fixing at all.

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    That's correct, but just try getting an internet company to swap a TV several times until you're satisfied. :devil:

If you allow, say, £200 for the free 5 year guarantee, they can't be beaten.

Still, it's up to you...

10. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You have to ask yourself....why is this TV so crappy :D
    If I had to swap more than once, I would demand a refund. :mad:

If a TV is going to go wrong it will usually happen within the first 7 days, or after 8 years in my experience.

And so you can stick your extended warranty where the sun does not shine :D

11. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I guess it depends on the problem that you have with the TV. If it is something that it inherent in the manufacturing process like poor geometry or colour definition, then I would agree that it is probably not worth soldiering on after the first exchange. However, if it is a series of one off faults that do not reoccur then it may be worth getting it exchanged more than once if the TV is generally a good performer.

I will shortly be on my fourth Panny TV of the same model. The first had a moire problem, the second had a fault with power suppression in standby (so that a coloured circle remained illuminated in the centre of the screen) and the third one had bad scratches on the glass of the tube. I am not giving up because the picture quality is excellent and I am sure that I will get a fault/damage free one in the end.

12. slimtim

slimtim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well it arrived and so far so good :thumbsup: order yesterday at 2pm, it arrived at my door at 10:45am this morning.

As for the tv...

So far two things that bug me about the Philips 32pw9309

- The stand is rubbish
    - only 2 scarts, 1 RGB so ill need to buy a splitter. I was kind of hoping that being the new model of the 9308 they would have put another in.

The pictures are brilliant, but i can see why pixel plus can annoy some people. At times the image clarity is astounding, but on a poorer signal (and i have that) some things do tend to pixelate but i can live with it.

Are there any optimum settings for pixel plus, or is it just best to leave it up to the telly.

Cheers Tim

13. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi slimtim,

Got my 32PW9618 delivered at 8:45am by Digital-Point this morning. They even phoned me at 8am to say the driver was on his way.

The TV was delivered by 2 people, and they took it out the box for me so I could examine it for any damage, but needless to say it was perfect brand spanking new. I am very happy so far with the service from Digital Point.
    It is the UK spec model, as it ends in 05.

Took me a long time to find the best settings for picture and sound.

My picture settings are:- contrast 75, brightness 45, colour 55, sharpness 3, Tint normal, Digital options- movie plus, Dynamic contrast- maximum, DNR minimum, Colour enhancement on, Picture format Auto.

The picture is so clear on DVD that it showed up a faulty SCART lead which had interference on the picture. I had a spare SCART which resolved the problem. The picture quality on DVD is superb.

My analogue pictures are poor due to weak signal, but on Freeview I get an excellent picture from my Humax PVR.

I like the stand with two glass shelves which have adjustable positions.

Very happy so far.

14. slimtim

slimtim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well maybe i spoke to soon, after recieveing it on the Thursday, i had a good test over the weekend. I saw a couple of problems.......

1. On slightly off white colours the corner of the screen would go pinkish, radiating from the corner.

2. Slight vertical lines, one at the side and one in the middle.

So monday i emailed them, and they said the corner was due to a magnet being near the tv, turn it off and unplug for a couple of hours...which i did.
    This still was hapeening so a further email and they replyed saying phone the store.

I did this , a few times. Sometimes i couldn't even understand the person i was talking to. Anyway, by Wednesday (6 days into the inital 7 before you have to pay for it to be returned to them) i spoke to someone i could understandish and he said it was a definate gauze(?) problem what he refered to as a colour patch caused by somthing metallic being near the tv. He said the tv needed leaving unplugged for 24 hours. I did this and its worse than ever, infact the sky on the rugby i was watching today was really pink.

So again i phoned them today, same person adimant it wasn't a problem, and to get Philips to repair it. So ivehad to phone philips and now need to contact my local repair centre on Monday.

I put it to him that the Television should be replaced, but he would not swap it and said that they could arrange for someone to collect it and take it back for testing. But said if there wasnt a fault it would cost me £40. I mentioned that i knew (from comments above) that they had replaced tvs before, but he said because it wasn't a serious fault they wouldnt replace it. The best i could get out of him was that if the Philips engineer found it to be at fault and put that in writing to them they would replace it.

.............. anyway, what a hassle :mad: i wish id just bought it from a proper company and thought id share this with you.

p.s if anyone knows whether or not he was just speaking bull**** about the pink colour in the corner let me know.

Cheers Tim

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    just degauss it mate.......

16. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I'm having major difficulties with digital-point.co.uk. Bought a pioneer dv575 from them way back in july. The player was ok for a month or so then started having difficulties playing discs so I sent it back. About 2 weeks later I got the player back, guess what, same fault. Now been waiting a month since sending it back for a 2nd time and having major difficulties trying to get anything out of them, whether it's a refund or a new unit (which is what they said they would do the 2nd time of sending it back). After dealing with their customer support I would advise against them as they seem very arrogant on the phone and argumentative and they constantly cut me off when trying to transfer me.