A good mate for some Monitor Audio Silvers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sounds Simple, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lengthy search for speakers, I've finally decided on a 5.1 setup of Monitor Audio speakers: S6 main, S-LCR center and S1s in the rear.

I'm now shopping for electronics and would appreciate any input members here have to offer (MAs are not very prevalent in the US although they are well-respected). I'm currently considering the Denon 3805 and the Pioneer Elite 55TXi. Any thoughts on which of these units mates better with the MA Silvers?

Thanks.

Bob

2. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    My MA Silver 8i's have been partnered up to an Arcam AVR 100 for many years and sound tip top. Though I'm going over to a Denon reciever for full 7.1 as I can't justify the cost of the Arcam AVR 300.

Works well in surround too, as I have silver 10i centre, and 3i rears with a Rel Q50 for bass.

Best advice is to suck it and see [or listen] though this combination to me seems to sound very lifelike and natural, and is superb with vocals.

3. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you have decided... :thumbsup:

I would stick to the Denon or a even better Marantz musical performer!

Did you listen to the Bronze series? If so would Bronze rears make a good tonal match? :confused:

Still Thinking of S2 fronts+ S center + B1 rears... :rolleyes:

4. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that the Bronze would be fine for HT but I think they are voiced differently enough that well-recorded multi-channel music would suffer.

Bob

5. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the B1 are OK, but too expensive for rear duties... :rolleyes:

6. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Howdy

I am using MA Silver S6's for front and rear duties plus a Silver LCR Centre. I was using Bronze 1's for the rears, whilst they are good they are not a patch on the on the S6's (thanks to my very understanding girlfriend for letting me populate our front room with these!..the B1's may be used for surround back duties when I decide on a new AV amp)

I find they sound and work very well with Rotel amplification, especially with DVD-A and SACD. Theres alot to be said for identical/matched speakers.

A mate loves the sound of his MA's with his Marantz AV amplifier, have you considered the SR7400?

7. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not heard the MA Silvers powered by either Marantz or Rotel. I heard both of these units driving B&Ws however and both seem to have a very warm sound.

My biggest problem with both is styling (don't laugh, the unit will be quite visible in the rack :laugh: ). For some reason, the Marantz just leaves me cold and I have never been able to figure out why. The Rotel, with all of its buttons, seems like it is trying to out-Lexicon the Lexicon processors. Unfortunately, there are no dealers in the area who carry either of these receivers and also Monitor Audio.

Bob

8. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Styling is one of my concerns ;)

And I Love the Marantz classic looks way above any other mid class japanese machines.

If you can try the SR7400 or the musically tuned SR5400 OSE :thumbsup:

9. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marantz does have a clasic look - it reminds me of 1957. :) It really looks like a well-built piece and I may yet have a look.

I love the clean lines of the Parasound Halo and B&K units (of the American-built units) but now we are in a different price category. In general, I think that the British do a good job with design - very clean and direct - and I may take a hard look at the Arcam AVR-300.

Bob

10. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arcam are very good and good looking ;) machines...

How about a NAD? A silver model for example?

11. Sounds Simple

Sounds Simple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've considered a NAD and like the finesse they show in demanding situations. I've only heard them paired with PSBs. The challenge, again, is finding a delaer who carries both brands.

Bob