1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good match with these?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by 5ergo, Aug 2, 2005.

1. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im soon going to buy Dynaudio monitors, the BM6A.They will need a low freq back up so i was pretty much thinking about SVS 20-39 PCi.

My questions:
    Will this SVS blend in well with my monitors?
    Is it worth to spend more for 20-39 PC Plus in my 12.5sq meters room?
    Is there any chance i will get boomy sound since the room is small?
    Is it possible SVS cant be connected to the monitors?

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=280&AjrNws=112&AjrNwsPg=1

Crossover will be 60Hz not more, not less.

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,139
    The PCi should be ok in a room that size,as long as no more than usuall height of room around 8ft and as long as the room is enclosed(no openings into any other rooms).It really depends on what sort of volumes you will listen at, either sub will drive to awsome levels that you will not belive till you hear them for yourself.

If you can afford it the PC+ will give you more headroom and flexibility as you can adjust the tune to 20hz or 16hz or even down to 12hz if you wish(although you will loose some output volume if you do)

As far as boomy is concerned the sub will probably take the roof off if you want it to but boomy will depend on positioning of the sub and calibration.

Don't know how they will fit with your speakers as I have never heard them.Both SVS subs have low and high connections so you can connect directly.

3. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC 3 feet=1m?
    In this case the height is 9 feet.

I wouldnt bother to tun it since tuned at 20Hz is just what i need.And i cant really shake walls so hard so PCi has probably more than enough power.

Ou i forgot to ask at first place; is PCi 20-30 shield??Cause im going to place my PC next to the sub.I have no other choice.
    Strange it doesnt say anything about shielding in its manual.

4. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,139
    svs subs are not sheilded as is the case of most subs,is your pc screen a flat panel tft/lcd if so magnetic field will not effect it.If its a regular cathode ray tube you may have a problem.

5. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a digital LCD so no problem here BUT the thing is that my HD would be erased!
    Most of good subs i know are shielded, HSU for instance.So its a shame SVS didnt do shielded subs.Too bad i wont be a SVS user, i heard good stuff only.

I thank you for help, i will seek some HSU subs like VTF3.

6. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,

The SVS subs might not be shielded but that generally does not give you any trouble at all. I have an 2039-PCI about 30 cm (0,3 feet) away from my TV (Grundig Lenaro 92) and there is absolutly no sign of interference at all !!
    I would personally need worry about HD being erased, it'll take a much larger magnetic field aimed directly on top of the disk to achieve this.
    By all means try the HSU, I did not have the possibility to do so, but I can confirm that my SVS produces the best bass I have ever heard so far (and that is the one you can feel and hear!)

7. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,139
  8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Shielding can't be that important. MY 29" CRT hasn't shown the slighest problem since placing my 16-46PCi right up against the side of it. Perhaps it's because the driver is so low in the cylinder? I haven't heard a single complaint about the lack of shielding on any of the countless posts on SVS subs in use within AV systems across the world. And 99% are probably used in AV systems.

Perhaps you should ask SVS? They seem to be painfully honest in their communications with customers and even hesitant potential customers. :smashin:

I do have one potential problem for you: If you listen to music while browsing the vibrations from the low frequencies can make you and you computer desk go all w-w-w-wobbly! :eek: My sub is about 3 feet from me as I scribble furiously putting this post together. Therapeutic? I wouldn't be so b-b-b-b-bold! :D

Nimby

9. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sub would be also 30cm away from my HD.

Hm, so i gues there are chances.Yes ill sure ask SVS as well before buying anything.

No i didnt ask about HSU subs being shielded i just downloaded HSU VTF3 manual and under Placement it says it cant damage HD but must be 3 feet away from CRT...
    It doesnt say anything about shielding in SVS manual so i asked.

Thanks guys, ill sure report here when i get and test the sub (not soon)! :thumbsup: