A good introduction to home cinema?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nickhopkins07, Feb 11, 2009.

1. nickhopkins07

nickhopkins07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ok, so first things first, apologies if I've posted this in completely the wrong place.

Second thing, be kind as I lay my stupidity, ineptitude and general cluelessnessssess on the subject at hand, on the line for you all to see!

I'm pretty new to all things home cinema, but am looking to put a system together, I don't have an inexhaustible budget, but the prices of the kit below hopefully gives some idea of my budget.

A/V Receiver:

ONKYO TXSR576 HOME CINEMA RECEIVER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4127 for details

As I understand it this receiver will allow sound to be carried via HDMI? Which from a blu-ray player is the 'best' type of surround sound?

Speakers:
    Now, I'm a bit hazy when it comes to speakers in a home-cinema set-up. If speakers are 'stereo' does that mean they wont be much cop for home-cinema?

These seem to get rave-reviews:

WHARFEDALE 9.1-ROSE at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

But they're labelled as stereo, no good?

And if they are, would 2 pair be adequate? Or should I be looking at a set of bookshelves and a set of floorstanders? I'm not too sure why you use one over the other to be honest, size of room 'thing'?

Centre Speaker:
    MORDAUNT SHORT SHORT-905I-CAL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

I think I'll have to wait a bit for a sub due to budget.

So, any help, advice and recommendations would be most grateful.

Thanks

Nick

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,312
    Not really a "custom install" so, moving >>>>>