1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good home cinema system for £400

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by AKCooper, Apr 11, 2005.

1. AKCooper

AKCooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any advice -

I am looking for an all in one home cinema system for a max of £400 (with standed speakers if possible).

I have checked out lots of review sites but cannot seem to make my mind up about the final choice.

Sony DAV-SR1/2
    Denon DHT-500SD
    Toshiba SD-63HK
    Panasonic SCHT900
    JVC TH-SW9

I only have a 28 inch Panasonic CRT with SCART connections.

I do want it to produce credible sound quality from music CD's as it will be replacing a high end system.

Any advice on these models as to which is best or any others that are highly reccommended.

Also are you able to plug in minidisc recorders to the systems to make CD copies via optical?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    how about canton CD1 (£240 forum exclusive offer) Pioneer VCXS301 AV amp (£99) and a DVD player Tosh SD330e? (£60) speakers include wall bracket and it will look and sound great!

3. aditya

aditya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi !

will the Canton system u have suggested be better than the Denon 550 system (~580 pounds)? I'm trying to figure out which one to buy (Canton . . . or Denon 550) and cannot decide. Or would I be better off than the Denon if I buy Canton and put in the extra money in a better receiver (eg. Denon 1905 / Yam)?

Experts !!! :lease: help !!

(By the way, from the reviews I have read, u might want to consider buying the Denon 500 for a budget of 400 pounds)

4. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

A Canton CD1 (£240) + Denon 1905 (£240) + Cheeky little DVD player like the Tosh, will beat any one box solution on sound quality, build quality, adaptability and future proofing

regards

JJ

5. AKCooper

AKCooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice on the Canton system however due to space constraints and a girlfriend who doesn't want wires everywhere I am really looking for a one box solution.

I am leaning towards the Denon but then I have read stuff about poor sound on CD playback and appearing/disappearing subtitles.

Is anyone else suffering problems with this system. The Sony seems to suffer from some glitches too though.

I am confused! :lease:

6. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    I've had the Denon 500SD for about 3/4 weeks, no problems with subtitles at all and CD playback is good, not great but quite acceptable.

The soundstage is excellent, it looks great and I managed to get decent wall mounted + free-standing speaker stands from Maplins quite cheaply!

ALI

7. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I saw the Sony DAV-SR1 in my local DVD rental shop for £269 - it looked like a nice setup in the box so I checked out the reviews it got - also looked impressive in this respect. Looks like a bargain for a full DVD/speaker/DTS/DD/MP3/SACD all-in-one system.

8. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    For your budget and requirements the Denon 500 still seems to be the leader of the pack. The soundstage is very impressive, looks good and doesn't seem to have been beaten in the reviews by any other comparable system.

I've had my 500 for six months and have had the subtitle issue occur twice and only momentarily (5 secs.) - for me personally it's a non issue. CD audio, it serves me well and sounds fine (I listen to CD's on the 5 channel stereo setting) - of course if you're an audiophile then it won't cut it but then you wouldn't expect a £400 DVD system to be able to.

9. roopsbrar

roopsbrar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just got borrowed one of these from my bro in law, to check it out when connected to my Sharp 37" LCD, and found that it will NOT produce progressive scan pics for PAL DVD's, it progressive only works with NTSC DVD's - has anyone seen this, or found this with other DVD players. Made me think, as this is advertised as one with Progressive facility.

Thoughts???

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DOes it Stae PAL Progressive or is there a little NTSC only sticker/line in manual

11. mishmash

mishmash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought a Panasonic SCHT1500 today from Comet, a salesman rang me up to say they dropped the price from £599 to £399, I bought a Sagem D45 the day before. For me it is perfect as I only have a small living room and doing a fully fledged home cinema seperates system would be overkill. I think that is a good buy for the money although I'm not really sure if it is now a Panasonic discontinued line.