A good center channel no taller than 16.5cm???

John24ssj

Hi all,

I am rather unhappy with my QA 3090C center channel. Recently went through some bass upgrades and the weakest point in my setup is the QA 3090C, the sound is really lifeless :( I love my QA3050's their doing a brilliant job and I have no intention or replacing them any time soon.

@Gasp3621 did recommend the Monoprice 365C TXP center speaker as best bang for the buck but sadly it's just way too tall. Because of the space between the cabinet and TV is 16.5cm that is my limitation of how tall the center channel can be. TV is already a bit too high for my liking thus moving it up is not an option :(

I would like to not go over £450 budget as that's the absolute maximum I could spend.

Any suggestions?

Jase

Distinguished Member
Ideally you'd want matching speakers across the front so how about one of the other QA Centre speakers (Concept) or perhaps one of their bookshelf models flipped on it's side?

WozzaB

I had to bump up the level on my 3090ci from where Audyssey set it to get the 3090ci sounding better, although I am always wondering what a centre with bigger drivers would sound like in here!

I just had a look at the MA Bronze C150, just squeezes in my unit at 166mm tall and the drivers are a bit bigger at 5 1/2" compared to 4" on the QA. But then I'll have a mismatched front 3 as I have 3050i's like you!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I had to bump up the level on my 3090ci from where Audyssey set it to get the 3090ci sounding better, although I am always wondering what a centre with bigger drivers would sound like in here!

I just had a look at the MA Bronze C150, just squeezes in my unit at 166mm tall and the drivers are a bit bigger at 5 1/2" compared to 4" on the QA. But then I'll have a mismatched front 3 as I have 3050i's like you!

You would be better off with Silver C150 as it´s superior to Bronze and will cost umm let`s check 229£ - 319£ from sale as new Gen is out soon! However it´s going to be tight fit! But this would give you much better upgrade route! :) Compared to Bronze C150 :

Real wood veneer cab - also thicker 20mm mdf
Higher quality RST drivers (larger also than in QA!)
Higher quality audio crossover parts/design
2,5-way design which offers some benefits for wider audience (off-axis performance)

External Dimensions (Including Grille and Terminals (H x W x D))​

165 x 450 x 229 mm

WozzaB

You would be better off with Silver C150 as it´s superior to Bronze and will cost umm let`s check 229£ - 319£ from sale as new Gen is out soon! However it´s going to be tight fit! But this would give you much better upgrade route! :) Compared to Bronze C150 :

Real wood veneer cab - also thicker 20mm mdf
Higher quality RST drivers (larger also than in QA!)
Higher quality audio crossover parts/design
2,5-way design which offers some benefits for wider audience (off-axis performance)

External Dimensions (Including Grille and Terminals (H x W x D))​

165 x 450 x 229 mm

I knew you'd pop up with a good suggestion! 😂

I don't really 'need' to change the 3090ci, but just thinking they have pretty small 4" drivers and what am I missing with them?!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I knew you'd pop up with a good suggestion! 😂

I don't really 'need' to change the 3090ci, but just thinking they have pretty small 4" drivers and what am I missing with them?!

I`m chatting with John about many things, but it´s quite tricky to find ideal product for him as we also need to consider the main speaker upgrade from same range later and the damn height is limiting so much. I think he also has larger room than yours / sitting further so i would want to see him getting something beefier than Silver C150. Although i think the difference in clarity/detail and also higher power handling would be noticeable to 3090c. Also the speaker is sealed so for you would be more ideal if you hide it inside unit.

When doing speaker upgrade always aim for biggest jump possible. Bronze C150 which i believe is still better than QA 3090Ci at least the earlier one was as i have owned both brands, but still they are kinda similar level speaker. So as a whole LCR upgrade the Silver range (to be discontinued) would surely make more sense, but only if you like the MA sound. But we also know that the C350 is much better speaker than C150 for not too much more and it would kill me to do "compromise" with the most important speaker in your system. However if the tv can`t be raised with wall bracket / floor tv stand then you are out of luck.

John24ssj

I know I am a right pain 😅😅😅

WozzaB

I`m chatting with John about many things, but it´s quite tricky to find ideal product for him as we also need to consider the main speaker upgrade from same range later and the damn height is limiting so much. I think he also has larger room than yours / sitting further so i would want to see him getting something beefier than Silver C150. Although i think the difference in clarity/detail and also higher power handling would be noticeable to 3090c. Also the speaker is sealed so for you would be more ideal if you hide it inside unit.

When doing speaker upgrade always aim for biggest jump possible. Bronze C150 which i believe is still better than QA 3090Ci at least the earlier one was as i have owned both brands, but still they are kinda similar level speaker. So as a whole LCR upgrade the Silver range (to be discontinued) would surely make more sense, but only if you like the MA sound. But we also know that the C350 is much better speaker than C150 for not too much more and it would kill me to do "compromise" with the most important speaker in your system. However if the tv can`t be raised with wall bracket / floor tv stand then you are out of luck.
Well we're hoping to move next year(really really this time!) so I might as well wait until then I guess and then go for the full works with a massive centre speaker! 😅

Dobbyisfree

Did you look at Fyne Audio? I realise 5" drivers but, for example, the f500c is 160mm tall and has a 91dB sensitivity.

John24ssj

Did you look at Fyne Audio? I realise 5" drivers but, for example, the f500c is 160mm tall and has a 91dB sensitivity.
It looks like I will be just replacing the TV cabinet for a short one to have better clearance. I was advised that Monoprice THX365C would be the best bang for the buck

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom