A glorious day for a wedding - October 11th

Radiohead

After the abysmal weather last weekend, yesterday gave just about the perfect English autumn day for Emma and Alex's wedding. They're a great, great couple and the day was a huge amount of fun. I opted for a pure PJ approach and didn't use flash at all - I really wanted to keep a sense of the time of year, and the light that it gave me. Some of the later evening shots are ISO6400 and f1.8, so dark. For the dance I relied on what the DJ gave me - earlier tests with flash had confirmed that it would kill the ambience of the barn. Anyway, I hope you enjoy looking:

2934840790_46ddf45f77_o.jpg

2933983299_b544d46393_o.jpg

2933984337_b91e6115d3_o.jpg

2934842450_b377c32675_o.jpg

2933985141_3e2b8644b1_o.jpg

2934845340_617f0dd81b_o.jpg

2934846064_25a949ae52_o.jpg

2933988673_22a58e058f_o.jpg

2934846640_bba0821718_o.jpg

2933989345_3a939eec8a_o.jpg

2934847658_39b33d304b_o.jpg

2934847948_8767ce70b9_o.jpg

2934848632_7d6fca11db_o.jpg

2934849152_ae47fd3cd2_o.jpg

2933992281_49ab485f32_o.jpg

2933993575_e04e12cb6e_o.jpg

Last edited:

Garf

Cracking set, as usual.

Really like the way you have a hint of light showing a detail in (if I counted correctly) #2, 10 and 11.

Also like the colour shots outside the barn, and the dancefloor shot with the focus on the groom. All very good though.

cedmondson

An interesting & superbly executed set Guy (no surprises there then :rolleyes:). For me the 3rd of your second post is the stand-out shot in the way it sems to convey three slightly different emotions at what must be a pivotal moment for all of them - very Henri C-B!
The slightly different approach indicated by your intro is quite evident - is this something you agree upfront with clients? Given the quality I'd be surprised if anyone didn't like it but I'm curious about how you know where to strike the balance IYSWIM...

Radiohead

An interesting & superbly executed set Guy (no surprises there then :rolleyes:). For me the 3rd of your second post is the stand-out shot in the way it sems to convey three slightly different emotions at what must be a pivotal moment for all of them - very Henri C-B!
The slightly different approach indicated by your intro is quite evident - is this something you agree upfront with clients? Given the quality I'd be surprised if anyone didn't like it but I'm curious about how you know where to strike the balance IYSWIM...

Yes, this couple were very keen to be at ease and not posed or staged at all. So we took some formals (as everyone still wants some) and other than that I observed and shot. It's really the avoidance of flash here I think as that impacts the ambience a lot. Plus of course this being an October wedding means chasing the light all day. There are shots here that are unlikely to make the final cut as this is a first sweep, but I'll have to live with them for a few days (mainly the colour dance shots and the blurred shot of Emma approaching the first dance alone). Myself and Mrs R can't really decide about these at the moment.

Last edited:

willykatie

Once again, very outstanding pictures there, would love to learn from you how to do wedding photography properly :)

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Fantasic set, some very nice B&W conversions and some unusual angles to give visual interest and great composition - the pack of Love Hearts is a brilliant touch. :clap:

julian_fraser

Wonderful set. I think they work very well indeed. I love the natural lighting.

Thanks.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Lovely set, Guy. I like the feel of these very much.

Especially the shots outside of the couple coming down the path, with you shooting into the light. The colour version with the long shadows is just great - not an easy shot to make.

Radiohead

Thanks Scott - I thought that shot might work but was a little worried about lens flare. I ran ahead and just caught them walking towards me. I particularly like the shadows showing the hands together in that shot.

Tobers

Lovely set. The shallow DOF shots really make the pics look special. I like the light in the barn too - you've used it really well. They'll be well happy with the results I'm sure.

senu

Distinguished Member
Guy , more of the usual awesome set we have become used to!:D
Not a single one i wouldn't have been happy to take. The one with a hint of flare was " just right":thumbsup:

booyaka

fantastic indeed - very very good:thumbsup::thumbsup:

tapzilla2k

Distinguished Member
So much better than what i ended up with yesterday, Radiohead. But then i have no intention of ever photographing a wedding ever again. Fun but too stressful for me.

tryingtimes

Amazing stuff Guy - love the moment you've captured in #9 (with father, just about to enter main room I guess) - it really gives us a sense of her character.
Magnificent set!

jenufa

What a great set. Love the love heart shot:smashin:

kBm

Distinguished Member
Another excellent set. :thumbsup: I see the groom didn't have a hair cut from the pre wedding shoot! :D

blurred shot of Emma approaching the first dance alone). Myself and Mrs R can't really decide about these at the moment.

For me, the blurred shots doesnt work - it's one of those shots that is unlucky as sometimes it works and the moment is captured. Also, it looks out of place and doesn't match with the quality or creativeness of the other shots.

Radiohead

For me, the blurred shots doesnt work - it's one of those shots that is unlucky as sometimes it works and the moment is captured. Also, it looks out of place and doesn't match with the quality or creativeness of the other shots.

I think you're right - I doubt it'll make the final cut.