1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A General Sanyo Z1 query.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, May 1, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Captain Benefit here,

I have just looked at my Z1 and all I can say is WOW....

What a picture. My screen has not arrived yet, so I am projecting onto a wall coloured antique cream, and it looked fantastic.

However, something has caught me out. A temporary measure, I placed the PJ on a chair, fired it up used the lens shift option to move the picture up. However, to me, the picture looked a little trapizoid rather than a nice 16.9 shape. The DVD player is set to 16.9 so was wondering what could cause this.

OK, it may not have been sat on the best surface, and set up a little hurried, but I had to sneak a look while the wife is out other wise I will go crazy.

Cant address this on the PJ at present as back in the box and leg back on the sofa as my wife will be home soon ;)

Will I have to keystone the image straight? I hope not as I thought that the lens shift option removed the troublesome keystone effect.

Any ideas?

other than that, boy what an image, looked at a selection of DVDs, inlcluding Episode 2, Band of brothers and Jurassic Park 3. Unbelievable, what an image. And no screen door and no dead pixels. Its great.

Hope to hear from you....

CB.

2. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Cap'n, adjust the length of the little feet under the sides of the projector to make it level (or rather, perpendicular to the wall).

There's a little catch you press up to unlock the legs, then they side in and out of the base. It's a bit of a faff, but that's probably why your image isn't square. Leveling it can be awkward, but you'll get there with a little patience.

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Glad you like the pj mate:)
    But can i ask you have you seen any v/banding on the picture?
    I keep reading this is a problem on the z1 & someone has just got a new z1 & it has this v/banding problem, he has just posted on another thread on this forum.
    If you have seen it how bad is it? i'm starting to think i might be better off with the panny 300.

4. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Liverpool - I see it on my Z1. It's always been there, but at first you won't notice it. As you use a projector for a few weeks you start to get sensitized to all the minor issues with the image quality.

Stuff you could hardly see 3 weeks ago becomes irritating. Daft really. On mine, the vertical bands are visible but only just. Similar to the screen-door actually. If i look for them I see them. If I just watch a movie I don't.

I'm more bothered by issues with an interlaced signal. Any projector will look a lot better with a progressive scan image, and i'm currently trying to figure out why my DVD player seems to struggle with P-scan :(

I don't know if this will help, but I used to have an ATI Radeon graphics card in my PC. When I ran in 16bit colour (older 3D games), there was faint vertical banding across the image. If you've ever used one of these cards you'll probably know what I'm talking about - the Z1's banding is pretty similar, perhaps slightly less noticable.

5. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for that mate.
    So they don't stick out really bad then? it's just i had a philips 32" that had 3 v/bands that you could see on dark stuff & when the camara pan'd the screen:mad: every time i watched something on it i just wanted to put my foot through the screen it drove me crazy:eek:
    I also put the people that live with me through hell going on about it all the time & i will get kicked out if it happens again:D
    So i just needed to know how bad it is & doe's the panny 300 suffer from it.

6. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Also, you saw the (really dodgy) pictures I sent you, yes? I know the resolution was pretty rubbish, but there definitely aren't any vertical bands on those images. So, while they're there, they're faint enough to not show up on a screen shot.

The horizontal lines (peek-a-boo scan-lines, as some of our American friends call them) are quite differenet from vertical banding. I don't really see these at all on my PJ. Occasionally, when there's an up-down pan on a film you get what looks like screen-door but only on the horizontal lines. This is the scan-line artefact, and again, it's one of those issues that you don't see at all at first, and later it becomes noticeable but only if you're looking for it.

You should really try to get a demo of the Z1 and AE300 to compare, as I've no idea if the artefacts are worse or better on the AE300

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    If they are faint then i'm getting the z1 as i've had a demo of one & the picture looked great, i didn't see any bands but then again i didn't on the 32" tv untill i got it home.
    I will order my z1 & if it was a problem i couldn't live with i'll just get rid & try something else. but i know nothing is perfect & i don't expect it to be.
    I'll let you know what i think of it when i've had it a few weeks :)

8. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey Liverpool,

I own an AE300 and I do notice occasional vertical banding - the effect is only slight and can be lessened with slight defocusing. It also only appears on certain types of images, particularly sky scenes or really light uniform areas. I saw a demo of an AE100 and the effect was a lot more noticable I thought.

I use a standalone Sony DVD player connected via RGB scart, however when I link my PC via VGA (Radeon 8500 card) and compared the same DVD (band of brothers) I thought the banding seemed less - more investigation needed there.

As Mr-belowski says, you do start to notice little imperfections after the inital new PJ honeymoon period is over - that'll probably be when tweakitis sets in.

I've noticed recently that after the PJ has been on for a few hours the picture quality seems a lot higher. Whether this is purely down to it having warmed up properly, my eye becoming atuned to the image or just getting into the film - who knows, probably all three!!!

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Cheers mate:smashin:
    I'm just being daft & a little too picky at the end of the day this kind of thing is ment to be fun :) so i think i need to just chill & enjoy the pj when i get it, i mean it beats the hell out of watching on a 29" tv eh?

Let the good times roll:clap:

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Well, as I said, I only spent about 10 minutes looking at images last night. But, what I saw via S-Video was superb and better than I expected. However, I have taken Mr_b's advice on board. However, for the first time in a bleeding long time, I intend to simply enjoy the unit, something that I have not done with my AV gear for a very very long time. My panasonic widescreen has always had problems with banding, so even if it is that bad, I shall probably ignore it. I have a 3 metre component lead being delivered on saturday so should be better still, but to answer a query, as of yet, no banding.

One final point to note is that there seems to be some evidence of actually powering the machine off and unplugging it helping to remove VB - HB on a next viewing. It sounds subjective to each and every machine. Refer to avsforums. Could it be something to do woth static build up. My DVD player gets it a lot so I have to unplug it regularly to remove the buzz.

Liverpool, my friend, get a Z1 in. It will not dissapoint you. Watching the Clone Wars unfold last night was unbelievable.

By the way, isnt Wayne Rooney a genius. He's the new Gazza...:zonked:

Talk soon.

CB.

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hmmm i'm not sure who he is:confused: ;)

I've got to put my screen up over the weekend & sort my 5.1 out also. so as soon as thats done it's a trip down the shop to get me a z1 can't wait :clap: as you say it's time to just enjoy :)

Ps star wars 2 is the first film i'm going to watch on it:smashin:

12. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Liverpool,

...enjoy you Z1, episode II has been the most played on my panny300 during the 120 hours of viewing delight so far.

PS

COME ON YOU REDS, for the final 2 games. I was at the Charlton game last week - if only we'd match the passion of the last 5 minutes in that game during the previous 5 months of the season!!!!!

13. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

Thanks mate i'm sure i will :)

:)

Yeah i agree & one big push in the last two games & the season won't be a total loss :smashin:
    Come on the pool:clap:

14. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Where's the best (maybe not the cheapest) place to buy a Z1.

I'm happy to buy on the net with a CC.

Cheers all.

CU on X-Box live perhaps?!

15. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    nexnix.co.uk have a good rep. I got my Z1 from them - there's tons of posts on this board saying how good nexnix are. Give 'em a ring and arrange a dead pixel check - that's only £20 and very important :)

16. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I also ordered mine from Nexnix. Mighty fine service. I paid for the dead pixel check too.

Next day delivery as well.

Regards,

CB.

17. julian_cable

julian_cable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine for a couple of months now and its wonderful.

No dust problems and I don't see any vertical banding.

After trying a GameCube on the Video port the S-Video port got locked to monochrome until a power cycle.

Its taking me some time to get the PC optimised - I have 960x540@85Hz which is pretty nice but getting it full width has eluded me so far - too many variables!

What a great machine!

18. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Is it a UK cube?

I understand that these are NOT S-video capable, hence the black and white picture.

CB.

19. julian_cable

julian_cable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a UK Cube and we were using composite video and it was in colour and fine. BUT the S-Video input from the digibox was in colour before, in black and white after and then in colour again this morning!

The relevant bits of the setup are on the attached pic.

Julian

Attached Files:

• z1.png
      z1.png
      Size:
      9.7 KB
      Views:
  20. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Still new to my PJ, but can I suggest that it may something to do with the picture setting in the menu. You may be viewing via NTSC etc wothout actually realising it.

CB.

21. julian_cable

julian_cable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, tried fixing it to pal, setting it to auto and everything short of a power cycle kept it stuck. I think its either a firmware bug or a hardware latch-up that leaves the "mode" set to composite although the input is set to s-video so its only looking at the luminance pin. I had a very similar problem with my wintv card.

Its not a major problem since I have the composite output of the digibox wired through the av amp as a back-up and the picture is surprisingly good. I'm not sure if I could tell on a blind test. And the problem does not survive a power cycle.

We used to have the video mode set to auto but I changed it to PAL because it was taking 5-10 seconds to detect the right mode to use when changing from computer input to s-video input. Forcing it to PAL cut it to about 2-3 seconds which is much better if I decide to check email during the adverts.

I had to set it to auto to get the GameCube to work though because although its PAL its a very non-standard timing and it likes to run at 60 Hz - 60 Hz PAL and it worked! Not surprised it had problems afterwards!

I don't think Sanyo really intended people to use both the Video and S-Video inputs as alternative sources but I lile to have the extra bandwidth of the S-Video for TV and I use the Composite for other miscellaneous sources.

22. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Hi

Have you considered rewiring your system in RGB. The difference is as clear as night and day when compared with composite.

Steve

23. julian_cable

julian_cable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The machine gets used about 85% Computer, 10% Digibox and 5% DVD player/Games Console etc So I need the VGA socket for the PC. The S-Video is pretty good when it works but its gone monochrome again tonight. I'm going to check the leads again as this time the problem survived a power cycle.

Julian

24. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm managing to get the Missus on my side now, she may even pay half for one of these babies.

This is thanks to the review of the Sanyo Z1 in this months Empire magazine - which gives the projector 5 stars.

:)

P.S. have your got X-Box Live Capt. Benefit?

25. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Maybe get it in the future, but not yet.

CB.

26. julian_cable

julian_cable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, don't let my lock-up scares put you off - it was my duff soldering on the s-video chrominance pin ! It just seemed time correlated!

:blush: