1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A general query about Mission. Please advise.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bristol Pete, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Are the Mission range of 'M' speakers tonally matched. I am currently using the Cinema 72 set but I have been offered a piar of floor standing M73 speakers.

I realise that these may offer more bass and integrate into my cinema better but I have to query if they are tonally matched to thier smaller siblings.

Anyone know??

Also, what about the rest of the mission range, M74 et al?

Thanks in advance.

Captain Benefit.

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    IMO you should get a sub instead of floorstanders.
    Take a look at the small versus large thread for one of the reasons that i say this.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    But I am happy with the bass that I am presently getting sans sub but the price on the M73 is good. I realise that they only extend a little further down the bass line but hey.

Anyhow, I have come to realise that a decent sub is nearer the £500.00 mark.

Thanks anyway, home cinema is very subjective. People will say that I am missing out but watching the bass heavy Attack of the Clones is testament to leaving the sub at present.

Captain.

4. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The m73's are timbre matched the rest of the M7 range,

I use them with the Mission M7c2 center (which I totaly recommend over the M7c1 center), M7ds rears and IPL Acoustics Subwoofer.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    However, I am happy with the M7c1 given that the M72 would not fit on my TV at present !!!!!!

So am I right in thinking that the M73's are just the M72 as floor standers ?????

Captain.

6. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That's correct, M73 = M72 with a fat arse. Obviously the internal bracing is different to compensate.

I run M73s front, 70C1 centre (good, but not great match, new one when i have money) and looking at M70s for the rear channel. Also hve a cheap Yammy set quite low for a little more depth and slam.

7. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Beleive me - you are missing out, on the entire dedicated .1 LFE channel in fact. If I were you I'd get M72's and a sub. and set all your main speakers to small, leaving the sub to handle the bass.

You might think the M73's can handle the bass well, but compared to a well set-up, decent sub, they won't even come close.

8. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    decent sub available from uncle eric for £325!
    i have the m73`s and have them set to small, and let the sub do the rest. as for bass heavy aotc, you will probably get more unwanted boom from the m73`s than a decent sub imo.

9. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I run M73s with a cheapo sub (£100) but I haven't had time to play with the speakers set to small yet (sub is still very new). Even set to large the sub adds a decent amount of depth and body to the sound.

I'll try the speakers all on small this weekend.

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Ok so only £325.00 for a sub.

But why fork out that much on a sub when the whole speaker kit cost less. You can see from my kit listed below that its not high end gear.
    I am not rubbishing the merits of a well implemented sub here, but it seems that time and time again a general speaker query gets turned into a debate about owning a sub or not.
    I hope to get one in the future but until then thanks for all your input.

Captain Benefit.

11. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i presume you are replying to me, as i suggested a sub @£325 from uncle eric. i wasn`t trying to turn your query into a debate about owning a sub or not. you suggested it would cost £500 for a decent sub, and i was pointing out that you can get one alot cheaper.
    my gear is in no way high end gear either, but realistically if you want to enjoy home cinema, then a sub is as important a part of the package as anything. having already owned a "cheap" sub, i realised that it was actually making things sound worse, and that i would have to spend more to get something decent, and all in all it was money well spent.
    i have the m73`s and they are a good speaker, but as far as i know they are the same more or less as the m72`s, so if you have stands for the m72`s, then purchasing the m73`s might be just buying more of the same imo.
    anyway whatever you decide to buy, best of luck.

12. Burt

Burt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too own M73's which I am very happy with - They are basically floor standing M72's but IMO better value for money when you consider that M72's + Stands would be more expensive.

I was happy with the bass from the 73's, having not owned a sub until recently, however I recently purchased a second hand REL Q100E and the improvment in bass is phenominal! - Until you have heard your system with a good quality sub you simply havent heard 'real' bass. Why buy a new sub at £350 - 500 when you can buy a great second hand REL at £200 - 300!

13. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

agree with you 100% burt.

14. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Sorry if my previous post sounded aggressive, I did not intend it to be.

However, my query was based around the fact that I can get the M73's for a good price. I forgot to mention that this are for duties at the rear of my house (music only)and as such, I may put the stand mounted m72s with the music etc and put the 73's in the cinema room.

I fully intend to go for a sub in the future, but at present there are a coupe of things I need first, like new bedroom furniture (just in case the wife browses :) LOL )

Thanks anyway.

Captain Benefit.

15. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like the right idea then if you are using extra speakers in a different room for music. the m73`s do go lower than the m72`s, so using the m72`s for music and m73`s for hc sounds right.
    btw i know what you mean about the wife. i find the best way is just to order stuff and hide the receipts:D

16. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    even if u can get M73s for £100, they are v. poor value for money IMO. not well built, braced, vinyl finish flakes off after time. I find bass v.wallowly as well- no detail whatsoever...Mission has really gone downhill IMO...

Diamond 8.2s same price from RS knocks them out. Completely. Far more natural sound. Chuck these at the back of your room and keep the M72s in the HT bit. Cheapo subs only ruin the bass quality of decent speakers. Save up for something decent e.g. MJA Pro 50.

17. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try and demo the m73`s in doubt,and you will find for £100 they are great value for money IMO:)

18. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    As he works in a hifi store, I am pretty sure he has demoed them - many times :p

19. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when did civil servants start working in hifi stores?

20. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    :confused:

21. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    M73's are nice speakers for people with a budget, I have been using them for quite a long time, there are quite a lot of happy M73 users out there, when they were first released the reviews were all good.

The main problem I have seen is that as they are often used with poor amplification, and thus when compaird to kit on much better amplification they obvously wont sound as good.

22. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    [Irrelevant & mild insults removed by Ian J]

Mission M73s still awful by Diamond 8.2 standards IMO. By pretty much any budget standmounter actually... cabinets that size and price cannot logically be made well...it just ain't possible. Amount of Mission floorstanders we get back with cabinet rattles belies belief.... Decently made floorstanders start at £700 for Quad 21ls

Rozzar

23. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was quoting rozzar, but the post was for captain benefit

24. Burt

Burt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rozzar,

Have you actually had M73's in your home cinema setup? I have pair and personally think they are great value for the money. The last time I looked this was a home cinema forum! - how many people have £700 to spend on a pair of front speakers for their AV setup? IMO the M73's will easily wipe the floor with any small sattelite or stand mount spekers at the same money.

25. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    For bass extension maybe, but for dynamics, detail and control I'd disagree (talking about standmounts, not satellites) . For that money I'd take a stand-mount over a floorstander every day......although I don't agree that £700 is where a well-built floorstander starts. Something like a B&W DM602.5S3 (at £400) may only be a vinyl-wrapped speaker, but the build quality is flawless.