A gaming monitor that does all this?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Bemused One, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    Hello all, :hiya:

You gaming peeps know a fair amount about gaming hardware. I was hoping that perhaps you could help me out?

I'm currently looking for a 23-24 inch monitor that has a decent, sturdy stand (adjustability isn't mandatory, but would be nice), presents colours well, has atleast DVI and HDMI connections and an audio out socket (this is mandatory), fast response time and low input lag. Basically something good for gaming.

So, any ideas? I know the above is expecting a lot, but is there any monitor out there that any of you know of that could fit the bill, or does most of the above? I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks. :)

2. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    At that level I'd be very surprised if you found a monitor with audio out. It's really expected that the computer will give the audio out.

3. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    I really need audio out to be on the monitor because I intend connecting other devices to it via HDMI and thus get the sound via that connection.

4. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    couldn't you connect the hdmi to the other devices first and then on to the monitor? I can't think there will be many (any?) monitors with HDMI passthrough.

Do you want hdmi out for the audio, or optical digital or standard 2 channel analogue stereo?

The LG IPS235 has HDMI and DVI with headphone out which would give basic 2 channel stereo.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  5. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,236
    I would have though that as well. Even TVs with multiple HDMI would also expect Audio if not required from the speakers to be passed through an amp and into the TV rather than TV > AMP.

What devices do you have that you need conected in the way you want?

6. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,287
    I know from speaking to Bemused in another thread that he also wants to hook up his consoles to the monitor.

It would however be useful to know what the audio needs to go to e.g. AV amp, headphones or PC speakers etc. An amp that supports HDMI passthrough would potentially be a nice easy solution but in the past I've fed 2.0 PC speakers directly from consoles & pc using a variety of audio leads and connectors, so I doubt the lack of a dedicated audio out is something that's insurmountable :)

A number of monitors have headphone out though but I'm personally not a huge fan as the sound quality isn't great esp. with decent 'phones.

7. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,236
    Is there something like a hdmi hub that allows switching so all devices connected to hub and then hub to TFT not sure where audio fits in to that though.

8. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,163
    Yeah switching hubs do exist, theyre not pricey either, only thing i can think of for this scenario is using a tv rather than a monitor or buying a receiver to put in before the monitor.

9. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,287
    I used to use a cheap powered HDMI switcher with my monitor. I think that had red / white RCA connectors.

I'll have a rummage around later and see if I still have it. Will report back.

Edit: nope it doesn't, just 3 hdmi inputs > 1 hdmi output. Was getting confused with a component splitter that has audio out.

This one isn't a cheap option but they definitely exist: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001IUFRYU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Looking at the picture this one offers optical and headphone out but no stereo connectors: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leicke-KanaaN-Matrix-Output-Splitter/dp/B004MYUCF8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  10. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    Many thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. :) Hello again, jellofund. :hiya:

Allow me to clarify matters.

For the last 3 years I've been using a Viewsonic VX2260wm monitor, which features both audio in/out, as the main screen for my gaming needs. I've had my PC connected to it using a DVI to HDMI cable, and I was using an HDMI splitter to connect two consoles to it. I connected my headphones to the monitors 3.5mm audio out jack for sound.

Now that I'm on the hunt for a new monitor, I was just trying to find something that had the same features as my Viewsonic monitor for a similar kind of set up. I should say the audio in isn't necessary this time, but the audio out is a must.

So, any suggestions?

11. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,287
  12. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,897
    Many thanks for making me aware of the XL2410T for sale and for linking to it for me, jellofund, that was kind of you, thanks. :)

Unfortunately I've decided against purchasing a 120Hz monitor because I doubt I'd be able to get the most out of one pairing it with a GTX 560Ti.

In fact I've pretty much abandoned my search for a new monitor for now because there just isn't anything out there that appeals to me.