1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A funny thing happend to my TV the other day..

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by IanB, Dec 30, 2002.

1. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twas the night before Christmas...

Well a few nights before actually, we turned on the TV ready for an evenings 'entertainment' (loose term for the broadcasts over the Christmas period but that's another thread) only to find all the channels were gone. Same with the video.

Everything was plugged in, no changes had been done to anything.

So I set about retuning only to find that the reception for ITV is now rubbish, both on the TV and the video, however BBC1, 2 Channel 4 and Channel 5 are all perfect. I've been out and bought a signal booster and that's made a partial difference, instead of black and white snow I now have coloured snow on ITV.

One thing I have noticed that is disturbing, is that the ariel lead causes your fingers to tingle when you grab hold of it. Yep, it's holding a charge from somewhere, the Christmas tree is my guess as the cable for the lights runs along with the ariel cable. However I have have done some tests, and can't actually prove the tree is 100% to blame.

If it had occured after Dec 24th I would have blamed Santa, got up on the roof cursing Rudolf and re-aligned the ariel but, alas it's not that simple it seems.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also If I buy a freeview box will I get better reception? BTW I already have a high gain ariel.

2. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The aerial socket on a tv is isolated from the chassis, if this isolation fails (the method of isolation varies from make to make) the aerial and its cable can be at quite a high voltage. BE VERY CAREFUL. Depending on the particular fault the effect can be quite minor or the loss of some or all channels. This needs to be checked by a competent engineer.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you will, assuming you can receive Freeview in your area (you don't just need the right aerial but they also have to transmit to your area).

Check here: http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

Because it's digital, you either get a picture or you don't, there is no grade of picture quality in between. I was so impressed with the quality, I unplugged my analogue aerial permanently :)

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the tingling feeling you are getting is very common, I have had it on lots of aerial feeds and more so when a booster is used. A friend whom is an electronics engineer said this is nothing to worry about and is common, can't quite remember the in depth explanation he gave me but it seemed to make some sense at the time.

If this is still worrying you after the xmas period then I will contact him for a repeat performance and post what he says.

5. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, very informative as ever.

I checked the digital coverage and I can receive it, so I can feel a purchase comming on!

PS did I really make such a pigs ear of spelling "aerial" ? :eek:

PPS The tree is being removed from the equation today so I will get a better idea of the problem soon.

Thanks again

6. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it may be the signal booster that makes the aerial 'tingle' as they seem to generate a high current. I've always noticed this because I have always used a booster and experienced minor electric shocks when messing around with the aerial plugs.
    I now unplug the booster beforehand- no more shocking experiences thankfully.

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The aerial is picking up charge from the electromagnectic signals.

I was disconnecting an old fm aerial in the loft from a cable that is not connected at the other end and I kept getting small shocks whilst working on the connection to the aerial.

8. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An Update:

I can now recieve all the channels clear as a bell!

My initial problem was a wisp of shielding wire was shorting across to the central core on one of my face plates. Once I had pin pointed that ITV became watchable.

In the loft I had a most unprofessional connection, so I undid it and made the booster into the connection. BINGO! Nice clear pictures all round the house!

My wife is now very please, but I have shot myself in the foot regarding getting a Freeview box, as I was playing very heavily on the poor picture quality.

Damn! :mad: